Thinking on getting a compact carry ! Any ideas ?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • wtburnette

WT(aF)
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    45   0   0
    Nov 11, 2013
    SW side of Indy
    I just recently picked up a new Shield in 9mm, did some trading for a G43 NIB and bought a used LC9. The Shield was and is my first choice as far as carry + shooting. With the extended mag the 9 rounds is nice. I also bought a pearce extension for the 7 rd mag and I like shooting with that one in as well.
    As far as the G43 I really like shooting it and am planning on getting some more mags with the extension. It is really nice to carry as well.
    I like the LC9, but I don't shoot it as well as the Shield or G43. Bought the 9rd mag for the LC9 and that was a mistake. I will probably keep all three, but the Shield is my EDC for now. That is on days when I don't stick the G36 in my pants :):

This. I understand those who swear by Glock, but I don't understand spending around $100 more for a G43 over a Shield 9mm. They shoot very similar to me, having shot both back to back. The trigger on the G43 my buddy rented at Point Blank felt sharp, which was a big downside for me. The Shield trigger is a bit spongy, but I liked it a lot more than the G43 trigger. If you can't carry the G19 IWB due to the thickness of the gun, the Shield will work much better for you. I've carried mine for about a year now, whenever I CC and I love the gun :)

chipbennett

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 18, 2014
    Avon
    Look at a LC9S instead of a LC9, better trigger. Or a bit wider the SR9C.

This was going to be my suggestion, as well.

Also, if you like your Glocks (to each, his own...), give the Glock 43 (9mm) or Glock 42 (.380) a try. My wife and mom both use the latter.

Personally, the SR9c is the smallest I would want to carry in 9mm. I want at least a little bit of weight and barrel length (twss?).

tommy-t

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 7, 2012
    I really like the look of the CM9 but i read about it having guide rod problems. They might of worked the bugs out of it by now but that's what steered me away from it.
    For now anyway !

shootr

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 31, 2015
    Mooresville
    I used to carry the Ruger LC9, but didn't like the long trigger pull. switched it for the Sig p938. Liked the thumb safety and the features taken from the 1911. Might want to take a look at it, Just a thought. If you like the Ruger size the LC9s, S stands for striker, fixes the long trigger pull issues of the original LC9.

tommy-t

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 7, 2012
    I guy here in lafayette has a Sig p938 for $500. sounds like a good deal but its the Scorpion model. Not to fond of the desert tan look . Would rather have the nightmare.
    Pretty much looks like a small 1911 to me tho.

CindyE

Master
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Jul 19, 2011
    north/central IN
    I/we have a Sig P938. It's a nice gun, a little on the heavy side. I say "we", because when I went back to carrying .38 Special, my husband started carrying the P938 and now I have a hard time getting it back...lol. It is small enough to ankle carry, which is nice, too.

dsamples

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 17, 2015
    indy
    If you are looking for a smaller price point, check out the kel tec PF9. My fiance carrys it and she loves it. 9 + 1 and super compact. Only negative it has a very long trigger pull. So far the coolest thing ive seen is the "wallet holster" for it. Ive used it and when i cant carry my g19( dress clothes to something formal) i wear the wallet holster and the pf9. We have about 900 rds through the pf9 and has yet to fail on us. Just another decent pistol. i think we got ours for 279 so about 320 after tax. Really just depends on your pocketbook. If you have the money id say the g26 or the g43. I prefer to never have less than 10 rds so the 43 is out for me. The Ruger single stack is nice as well. Im the kind of guy that wont spend 600 to 900 dollars on a single stack pistol. Just how i am. I would stay around the 9mm just for the simple fact of already having a 9mm.

WebSnyper

Time to make the chimichangas
    Rating - 100%
    59   0   0
    Jul 3, 2010
    I'm thinking on getting a compact carry pistol. Something reliable but not to expensive like a Ruger LC9 or Bersa .380. Any info on these guns or something similar would be appreciated. trying to stay with 9mm or .45 because that's what other calibers i have but would consider a .380

How do you want to carry? what style of apparel do you usually wear? Are you going for deep conceal (carrying in an unfriendly work environment that would cost you a job?).

These are just a few of the questions you need to answer.

Glock 26 would be a great add on to someone who has a 19. Share mags, holsters, etc. Don't underestimate the amount of $ already having extra mags, holster, etc can save you.

Glock 43 is also a very good gun, if you need that extra bit of concealability. It really depends on what you are looking for. You would need to stock up on additional mags, different holster, etc.

I really like the look of the CM9 but i read about it having guide rod problems. They might of worked the bugs out of it by now but that's what steered me away from it.
    For now anyway !

I guy here in lafayette has a Sig p938 for $500. sounds like a good deal but its the Scorpion model. Not to fond of the desert tan look . Would rather have the nightmare.

So, I haven't heard much of anything that you have as requirements that are function related, but you seem to be very interested in the look of various subcompacts. Kind of interesting as generally the purpose of a subcompact is not to be seen... ever.

As I asked up thread, if you provide us some info on your requirements and carry needs, you may get some more meaningful answers that relate more directly to your situation.

masterdekoy

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    56   0   0
    Feb 12, 2013
    Columbus
    So, I haven't heard much of anything that you have as requirements that are function related, but you seem to be very interested in the look of various subcompacts. Kind of interesting as generally the purpose of a subcompact is not to be seen... ever.

As I asked up thread, if you provide us some info on your requirements and carry needs, you may get some more meaningful answers that relate more directly to your situation.

I agree function>form when it comes to a defensive handgun. However, with the amount of options it there today, you can usually have both. Might as well get something you like over something you tolerate. Sounds like a great setup for buyers remorse.

WebSnyper

Time to make the chimichangas
    Rating - 100%
    59   0   0
    Jul 3, 2010
    I agree function>form when it comes to a defensive handgun. However, with the amount of options it there today, you can usually have both. Might as well get something you like over something you tolerate. Sounds like a great setup for buyers remorse.

Just waiting for the OP to actually post something meaningful really, as this thread seemed to be just a run to 50 for him to get in the classifieds. Everyone is posting advice, and the OP doesn't really care.

Gluemanz28

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Mar 4, 2013
    Elkhart County
    Just waiting for the OP to actually post something meaningful really, as this thread seemed to be just a run to 50 for him to get in the classifieds. Everyone is posting advice, and the OP doesn't really care.

The dude was definitely on a run he bumped a two year old thread about Yeager getting a motorcycle. He already got The Mod reverse post count and just got a little sneaky. Another just got put on the don't deal with list.

Ruffnek

Master
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    The dude was definitely on a run he bumped a two year old thread about Yeager getting a motorcycle. He already got The Mod reverse post count and just got a little sneaky. Another just got put on the don't deal with list.

Joined in 2012 and just now making a run? I'm not so sure just yet, barring the things I haven't seen. His posts do seem like someone that is honestly trying to learn.:twocents:

GNRPowdeR

Master
    Trainer Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    44   0   0
    Oct 3, 2011
    Bartholomew Co.

Went to a training class earlier this Fall and a guy showed up with a p938. He tried running it for a little while, then changed out for one of his Compact Glocks. He found out that for easy concealment and easy on / off, the p938 works well. He had trouble getting reliable hits and it was a handful when running timed / scored drills at more than 5 yards.

With the number of thugs working in pairs (or more) , please keep in mind capacity when looking at your EDC. Personally, I went from a Commander 1911 to an M&P 9mm around two years ago. I carried the 1911 for around a decade, while trying Glocks and the XD9 along the way. When stupid started becoming more persistent and after I noticed most of my students were showing up with plastic guns, I decided to transition to a higher capacity firearm that I could get the trigger to feel very similar to my 1911. The M&P with an Apex Forward Set Sear reminds me of my crisp 1911 trigger with about the same trigger pull.

Grifd21

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 22, 2014
    Bloomington
    I just read this whole thread and am excited that someone finally posted about a Springfield XDs! :) That's what I carry, and I absolutely love it. It's a bit bigger than the LCP's / Kahrs, but IMO you get way more function and comfort for only giving up a little more size. I don't really care about carrying the smallest or most concealable, so if that's what you're desiring then don't listen to me!

:patriot:

Cassada

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 28, 2011
    sounds like your looking for what I call a Barbecue Carry gun. Something you can wear comfortably in light Sumner clothes and bit ridiculously print. The LCS or shield is a great choice. Also the mags are as big as a stick of gum so no problem throwing one in your pocket.

Top Bottom