• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • MadMan66

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Dec 7, 2012
    Hogshitt's Paradise
    Historically there's been a culture of you needed 5 years on the street before you should apply to go inside, especially as a detective. It's not so much about age, it's about having that base of experience under you. That was a good times rule. These are not the good times. Police departments are having trouble recruiting and specialty units are having trouble getting cops. It's tough to overstate the demand and strain placed on major felony detectives and a lot of cops just don't want the extra strain over an already stressful job.
    Yeah, and the street guys are getting burnt out from running below minimum and leaving for greener pastures. We might get enough out of the academy to "restock" the officers we lost, but not always. This next class will have enough for about 1 officer per shift in each district. We've lost way more than that in the last 6 months. I think the ship is sinking.

MadMan66

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Dec 7, 2012
    Hogshitt's Paradise
    I hate profanity while working. It's rarely useful. Professionals suck it up and act like professionals, regardless of personal issues or feelings.
    I think profanity has it's place. It can be a de-escalator. Sometimes people don't take you serious, and sometimes profanity can get the point across that you mean business. But it all really depends on the situation and the environment. You have to police differently at 30th/Baltimore versus 96th/Meridian. The way you talk to people and the way you carry yourself will earn you a "degree" of respect in both areas, but what that looks like is different in both areas. I'm not talking about being an a-hole though.

WebSnyper

Time to make the chimichangas
    Rating - 100%
    59   0   0
    Jul 3, 2010
    I think profanity has it's place. It can be a de-escalator. Sometimes people don't take you serious, and sometimes profanity can get the point across that you mean business. But it all really depends on the situation and the environment. You have to police differently at 30th/Baltimore versus 96th/Meridian. The way you talk to people and the way you carry yourself will earn you a "degree" of respect in both areas, but what that looks like is different in both areas. I'm not talking about being an a-hole though.
    I agree with context. I can cuss like a sailor in some situations but turn it off in others.

JettaKnight

Я з Україною
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Oct 13, 2010
    Fort Wayne
    He would have never been treated like that if he was Black.
    scared-kenan-thompson.gif

Denny347

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Napganistan
    It doesn't bother me at all. Until I read your post, it didn't really even occur to me that he used profanity in the video. I swear like two sailors in a swearing contest, but I'm getting transferred to days next year and will have to try to keep it at a low roar.
    Oh, I curse at home and profanity doesn't bother me. However, when I put my uniform on, I leave that at home. So much so that my co workers think I never curse, EVER! On the rare occasion I do cuss at work, my people know something is wrong.

DoggyDaddy

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    73   0   1
    Aug 18, 2011
    Southside Indy
    Oh, I curse at home and profanity doesn't bother me. However, when I put my uniform on, I leave that at home. So much so that my co workers think I never curse, EVER! On the rare occasion I do cuss at work, my people know something is wrong.
    I'm glad I work from home. Pretty sure I'd get fired for yelling the expletives I do if I was in the office. And that's all I have to say about that. :lmfao:

edporch

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   0
    Oct 19, 2010
    Indianapolis
    Because we're "professionals" and internalize it, shortening our lifespans and becoming cynical a-holes with rare exception. The number of officers who work the street or major investigations for any length of time who truly didn't seem effected by it are saints and mystics as far as I can tell. **** like: https://www.indianagunowners.com/th...om-crying-cops-say.529482/page-2#post-9384601 I mean, you see people worked up just from *reading about it* now imagine seeing it. Routinely.

It's the best ****tiest job on the planet, but it takes a real toll. Especially if you don't have a solid support system behind you and the ability to know how to use it.
    Went to a couple of longtime friends dad's funeral this last Saturday.
    He'd been a long time Marion County Deputy Sheriff for many years, having retired in the 1990's.

He seemed to have the kind of good natured personality who didn't let things bug him too much.
    I know his two sons who are my friends told me through the years of many stupid things he would just let go, saying "they never learn anyway".
    They told me "If my dad ever arrested you, you'd know you deserved it". LOL :-)
    He was a good guy I wish I'd had the chance to know better than I did.

Top Bottom