• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • jburns89

Marksman
    Rating - 92.9%
    13   1   0
    Oct 19, 2008
    New Castle, IN
    this did not happen to me however.. i found this image online....

Glock_kB_1.jpg

esrice

Certified Regular Guy
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Jan 16, 2008
    Indy
    Its called a Ka-Boom.

Glock haters love to throw those pictures up, but there are other pictures of various types of guns doing the same thing. Has something to do with improper headspacing I believe.

notasccrmom

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 10, 2008
    south 'til you smell
    It's usually caused by an improperly loaded cartridge (reloads). Too much chamber pressure is the cause of the failure, but there are many things that can cause too much chamber pressure. Wrong amount of powder, too short of an OAL, bullet stuck in the barrel with a round fired behind it, etc.

Meyertrees

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 18, 2008
    Borden, IN
    I blew apart a Colt single action that way. Either a double charge of powder or the cylinder did not line up! Stainless steel is not as forgiving as steel when pressure is excessive. A steel barrel may only bulge.

Check your reloads carefully.

haldir

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 10, 2008
    Goshen
    Being a relatively new Glock owner.... I am not overwhelmed with confidence. I did some googling and saw one post where they said if you don't clean them constantly this will happen.

Indy_Guy_77

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Apr 30, 2008
    Being a relatively new Glock owner.... I am not overwhelmed with confidence. I did some googling and saw one post where they said if you don't clean them constantly this will happen.

Don't buy into that... Glocks are not that finicky.

And I don't own a Glock. Don't particularly like them, actually.

What may have been alluded to in what you're reading is some folks' ignorant usage of non-jacketed lead ammunition. Lead fouling in the barrel WILL cause overpressure issues that CAN cause catastrophic failures.

-J-

VN Vet

Master
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Aug 26, 2008
    Indianapolis
    Cleaning your barrel after shooting is a good habit to get into. Checking the barrel for any obstructions before going shooting is also a good habit to develop. A squib and a lodged bullit will cause this in any firearm. I think that this handgun being a Glock had nothing to do with it. MHO, of course.

I believe Glock is one of the safest handguns made today. Again MHO.

jimbo-indy

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Apr 3, 2008
    N.W. Indy
    Don't fault the gun manufacturer. The picture could have been any gun. This was obviously on extreme overpressure situation. The reason is not known and cannot be determined by this picture. I'm not a Glock lover either but this can happen to any gun. Some designs may be more capable of resisting over pressure more than others but in the end, any mechanical devise will fail if pushed hard enough.
    Don't be worried about Glocks because of this picture. I have seen them take a lot of abuse and still go on or exhibit a milder failure.

10ring

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jan 16, 2008
    Classified
    In most every case of this that I've seen documented well, it comes down to hand loaded or bad reload ammo. It is even possible to get a round from a good manufacturer that is way over pressure and would cause this in any firearm.

I've also seen pictures of a Ruger Redhawk 44 mag revolver that blew itself in half because of bad ammo.

I think this happenes more to Glocks because statistically there are so many more of them in circulation.

Go here:

Glock kB! FAQ v1.35

And read a while before you start thinking this will happen to every Glock.

thompal

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 27, 2008
    Beech Grove
    I think this happenes more to Glocks because statistically there are so many more of them in circulation.

There can't possibly be more Glocks in circulation than there are 1911s and variants! Even if the only handguns sold in the last 10 years were Glocks, I doubt the number could approach what has been a mainstay for 60-70 years.

10ring

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jan 16, 2008
    Classified
    There can't possibly be more Glocks in circulation than there are 1911s and variants! Even if the only handguns sold in the last 10 years were Glocks, I doubt the number could approach what has been a mainstay for 60-70 years.

How many police forces around this country carry 1911's and take them to the range and into duty like cops do?

And, uh, this happens to 1911's too....

The Gun Zone -- 1911 kB!

Rookie

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Sep 22, 2008
    Kokomo
    I think your fears are unfounded. I've owned a Glock for 15 years, and I've never worried about it blowing up. Not cycling is the reason I don't carry it...

Vigilant

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Jul 12, 2008
    Plainfield
    How many police forces around this country carry 1911's and take them to the range and into duty like cops do?

And, uh, this happens to 1911's too....

The Gun Zone -- 1911 kB!
    Umm...several actually. The most prominent being LAPD SWAT, and SIS units, who combined, make up more officers than a lot of mid-sized city police forces. FBI SWAT, both HRU and Regional teams also carry 1911's. I own BOTH 1911's and Glocks, I clean them when needed, and I DON'T run unjacketed bullets, or reloads through my G's, but I do in my 1911's. Only problems I've ever had, was with a reload through a 1911. Double stroke powder charge, BOOM!!, ruined Pachmyrs, sore hand, powder and brass bits in my face, a small scar on my upper eye(thank god for OAKLEY), and more than a bit of embarassment. Fact is it can, and has, happened to every firearm, and will continue to happen, as long as we still are allowed firearms. So take KB's and KB stories with a grain of salt, it happens.(BTW, new magazine, new grips, and factory ammo cured my KB problem with that 1911.)

10ring

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jan 16, 2008
    Classified
    Umm...several actually.

Umm, more than Glocks? I'm not talking about SWAT, etc., just standard issue sidearms for regular police.

If you look at the link I posted above that documents and investigates the Glock kb's, most of these reports come from police departments.

I own multiple of both as well and it's never happened to me, at least with a handgun. I did have an M16 in the Marine Corps do some bad things though.

Last edited:
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 28, 2008
    Bloomington
    I think your fears are unfounded. I've owned a Glock for 15 years, and I've never worried about it blowing up. Not cycling is the reason I don't carry it...

You might want to work with that a bit more- thats not right. I would find it very surprising for that to be the end result.

Rookie

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Sep 22, 2008
    Kokomo
    Not cycling properly. I've seen my Glock 19 stovepipe on more than one occasion. It has never happened when I fired it, but when others have (my daughters, friends). I attribute it to limp wristing, but it's reason enough that I don't trust it enough to carry...

Top Bottom