This is bad timing for sure...DC trip in a week...

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Tims87gn

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 8, 2013
    Floyds Knobs
    My step-daughter's class has been planning a trip to DC for a year now. Its begins 10/5. She worked hard and got the money for the trip together herself and is really looking forward to this trip. My wife and I have also decided to go up there the same week and join up with her for an extended stay of a few extra days. Now its a topic the last few days that the looming shutdown is going to ruin the trip for all of us. We don't want to go there and find the doors locked at all of the places we've been wanting to visit. I'm also conflicted myself, because I want the goverment to shut down. They can't continue to destroy this country if they are closed. I hate to be out lots of money and I don't want to see he lose her hard earned money either. So far I cling to the belief that they will compromise. Actually I expect the Republicans will cave yet again with some half measure that will keep it going. I look forward to our vacation, but its beginning to worry me. Sorry to vent.

perry

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 18, 2010
    Fishers, IN
    Well, Smithsonian museums and National Parks / Monuments in the DC area will be closed. The Zoo will be closed. I imagine there will be a lot of tourists taking pictures of buildings if the shutdown lasts. There is lots to do in DC, but there's a whole lot more to do when things are operating normally. I'd wager they have things sorted out before 10/5 though... Who will blink first?

Just use the ice cream sundae explanation... Explaining the Government Shutdown to Your Kids | TIME.com

Tims87gn

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 8, 2013
    Floyds Knobs
    Based on past history, I fully expect the Republicans will blink first, becuase they are more fearful of the electorate than democrats. Honestly, if the Republicans had more fight in them, we wouldn't be staring down the barrel of Obamacare. My gut feeling is that there will be a shutdown of at least a few days, one maybe two days. As far as attractions, I know that the region is rich with history, but I suspect that most of what we'd want to see is run by the park service. If it is shut down, maybe I could pass the time by parking myself in front or Reid and Pelosi's offices and lob insults at them.

04FXSTS

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 31, 2010
    Eugene
    Based on past history, I fully expect the Republicans will blink first, becuase they are more fearful of the electorate than democrats. Honestly, if the Republicans had more fight in them, we wouldn't be staring down the barrel of Obamacare. My gut feeling is that there will be a shutdown of at least a few days, one maybe two days. As far as attractions, I know that the region is rich with history, but I suspect that most of what we'd want to see is run by the park service. If it is shut down, maybe I could pass the time by parking myself in front or Reid and Pelosi's offices and lob insults at them.

Well said. I have noticed the democratis voters at least in my area will allways support the party while the republicans are more independent thinkers. I live in east illinois where there are a lot of retired union members that vote what their union tells them and that is as written in stone. Of course most of the good paying union jobs have disappeared because the plants have closed or moved away. These people still keep the faith and keep voting democrat.
    It is certainly no secret to the world the state of illinois is in possibly the worst finantial shape of any state in the country, the last to get a CCW law (which still won't actually put permits in hand untill probably April 2014.) Yet these same people that keep electing the democrats that have run this state pretty much for 30 years are afraid the republicans might win because that would spell doom for the state. I can't see how it can possibly get much worse. Last election for governor the democrat Quinn promisede to raise state income taxes, I figured there was no way people would vote for that. Wrong again! After he won I realized half the people in this state don't pay taxes and the majority of them live off their LINK cards. Jim.

jake blue

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Sep 9, 2013
    Lebanon
    If DC shuts down, head to Gettysburg or Williamsburg or Philadelphia... all within a couple hours drive and lots to see and do that's not federally funded, especially if you're a history buff.

sloughfoot

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Apr 17, 2008
    Huntertown, IN
    The National Marine Corps museum at Quantico and Arlington National Cemetary are the only two things worth the trip, imo. They will both be open.

I am there frequently with 8th graders and she will have enough of that town after 4 days with her class. Everyday starts with a lesson right after breakfast at 8AM and lessons all day long until lights out at 9 to 10PM. They have to pass the written test at the end of the week also. The bus is nothing more than a mobile classroom. Usually the Principle is onboard and a couple of teachers.

On my trips, run by K&K Tours, the kids lose their electronics for the week. "Hover" parents trying to meet up during the week is not allowed. The kids are not allowed to roam. Heck, they have to be taught how to get off and get on the bus in less than 60 seconds. It is rare to find a place to legally drop off passengers and it is a $500 parking ticket if the bus driver gets caught.

They do everything together. There is a security guard in the girls hallway in the motel to make sure none of the boys get on the wrong floor.

Last edited:

Mark-DuCo

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 1, 2012
    Ferdinand
    The Korean Memorial is stunning/eerie/moving at night. You get a real sense of gloom as the sad face of the statues seem to follow you wherever you are. It is moving. The Vietnam Memorial is a must see. Arlington Cemetery is well, there's just no words I can think of to describe the feeling of being there. I had a knot in my throat the entire time.

Tims87gn

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 8, 2013
    Floyds Knobs
    With all the recent events and the increasing likelyhood that we won't be getting into hardly any museums, the outdoor monuments are high on the list of must sees. You can bet I will be at the WWII memorial and the Wall and the Korean Memorial too. Sadly since our "Pres" has Barrycaded them and posted guards it will be from a distance.

mrjarrell

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 18, 2009
    Hamilton County
    I feel your pain. I'm headed to Cape Hatteras in in a couple of weeks and they've managed to shut down almost everything from Kitty Hawk to Ocracoke Island. Fortunately, there are a couple of decent piers that are privately owned to fish from, but the beaches are supposed to be closed. Too bad they furloughed all the enforcers and that there are private stairways to the beaches.

Top Bottom