This is choice! Talk about making up laws on the fly . . .

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • KLB

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Sep 12, 2011
    Porter County
    I look at it this way. The guy was aiding the police in getting traffic to slow down. After all isn't that the reason they are running radar traps???
    No. If they wanted to slow traffic down they would drive around doing the speed limit, or park in the open where they are easily seen for a long distance.

The speed traps are to generate revenue.

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 15, 2009
    Valparaiso
    So, is this what they are attempting to enforce?

Holay molay...did some digging on that one, eh? But who is the criminal, the "traffic"?

It's always a hoot to see the ISP on I-65...the one on a motorcycle, in the median, under the bridge, standing in front of his motorcycle in those cool jackboots pointing his radar gun at the opposing forces of evil.

It would really helpful if they could find a way to track someone texting on their mobile phone instead. They weave worse than a drunk

eldirector

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Apr 29, 2009
    Brownsburg, IN
    Holay molay...did some digging on that one, eh? But who is the criminal, the "traffic"?

It's always a hoot to see the ISP on I-65...the one on a motorcycle, in the median, under the bridge, standing in front of his motorcycle in those cool jackboots pointing his radar gun at the opposing forces of evil.

It would really helpful if they could find a way to track someone texting on their mobile phone instead. They weave worse than a drunk
    The article said interfering with a police officer. I just used Google!

I assume the "criminal" is the person going over the speed limit that you just alerted. They just haven't been caught yet.

Still a strrreeeeetch.

murph

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 21, 2011
    Lawrence County
    Ha ha. I got pulled over in the People's Republic of Illinois for doing that once.

Young cop actually had his head INSIDE my car (I should have "accidentally" hit the up switch on the window) and was screaming at me, "That's what you were doing! Admit it! Admit it!". I was doing my best impression of a clam, and it was REALLY infuriating him. Since the key element to the violation is intent, he needed to get me to say that I was trying to warn another motorist, or he'd have no chance of winning if I went to court.

I started laughing at him, and finally said, "Are you going to give me a ticket, or what?" He stormed to his car and after a few minutes came back with a written warning. I said, "Thanks. I need something to soak up the spilled coffee in the cupholder."

Fast-forward four years, and I see the same cop outside the town hall. He sees me. Then I overhear him telling the cop he's with about our encounter. One would think a LEO's life would be full enough of exciting events that such a trivial matter as a traffic stop would be soon forgotten. I'm glad I could make a lasting impression. :D

:yesway: :rockwoot: That's great!! LOL

Mr Evilwrench

Quantum Mechanic
    Emeritus
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 18, 2011
    Carmel
    I had someone flash me just last week. I just smiled. I'm pretty sedate these days, and have a detector, so I'm not gonna be enhancing their revenue anyway, but yeah, it still goes on.

KLB

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Sep 12, 2011
    Porter County
    I actually do see them drive the speed limit at times on the Toll Road. Easy to tell when you come upon a huge line of traffic driving the limit.

GREEN607

Master
    Rating - 99%
    99   1   0
    Apr 15, 2011
    INDIANAPOLIS
    I actually do see them drive the speed limit at times on the Toll Road. Easy to tell when you come upon a huge line of traffic driving the limit.

I've been told (by an distant aquaintance, of course).....that there's no better place to "burn one" while driving....than the long stretches of toll road. :laugh:

Now that I think about........ I believe he was a cop.

KLB

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Sep 12, 2011
    Porter County
    I've been told (by an distant aquaintance, of course).....that there's no better place to "burn one" while driving....than the long stretches of toll road. :laugh:
    Well, tell your friend to watch it by I65 and between Illinois and East Chicago. The ISP loves to sit in both places and hand out LOTS of tickets. Otherwise there are some nice long stretches with very good visibility.:)

hornadylnl

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 19, 2008
    I had a guy flashing his lights at me the other day and I wasn't sure what was going on. There was an accident ahead that had the highway blocked down to one lane with several volunteer firefighters and cops arriving on scene and walking about. Should the guy flashing me get a ticket for that? I don't think it's always done for speed traps.

I was riding one day and saw 2 kids right in the middle of the opposite lane, one on a bike and the other walking. I crested a small hill and saw a truck coming the opposite direction and I started waving my arm up and down to hopefully give the truck driver a heads up that there was a danger in the road ahead.

Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Aug 26, 2010
    Clearly some people treat the First Amendment* like the Second Amendment*

*certain amendments may not be valid in the Peoples Republic of Il

cobber

Parrot Daddy
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    44   0   0
    Sep 14, 2011
    Somewhere over the rainbow
    So, is this what they are attempting to enforce?
    In order for that to be effective, the person has to have already committed the crime. In this case your flashing your brights actually prevents a crime.

What if you stood outside a bank OC'ing, and scared off potential bank robbers. Would the police want to arrest you for preventing a robbery that never took place? THAT would be rich!

In these cases, a crime hasn't occurred yet. Is there a greater social interest in preventing crime, or as the police would have it, allowing the crime to occur so the police can make an arrest?

In the case of the speeders, it would seem odd if you got charged with a crime, an A misdemeanor, for preventing the commission of an A infraction. Which is not even a crime.

Bill of Rights

Cogito, ergo porto.
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Apr 26, 2008
    Where's the bacon?
    I don't agree with prosecuting someone for flashing his lights. Stopping someone from getting busted for speeding is not preventing the infraction, though, it's just preventing someone from getting caught committing it. It DOES make people slow down, which is supposed to be why the officers issue citations for such things.

To compare it to INGO, if a member was to post a WTS without a location (either in the body of the ad or in the postbit under their name) and you noticed it, you have two options: You can either report the post to the mod staff, or you can drop them a PM to politely let them know they should probably add it. We are perfectly happy with you doing either of those, probably more so with the latter, as it means we don't have to issue an infraction and they don't get their ad pulled.

(Of course, we don't have infraction quotas to meet and Fenway doesn't make revenue based on how many we issue, either.)

Blessings,
    Bill

In order for that to be effective, the person has to have already committed the crime. In this case your flashing your brights actually prevents a crime.

What if you stood outside a bank OC'ing, and scared off potential bank robbers. Would the police want to arrest you for preventing a robbery that never took place? THAT would be rich!

In these cases, a crime hasn't occurred yet. Is there a greater social interest in preventing crime, or as the police would have it, allowing the crime to occur so the police can make an arrest?

In the case of the speeders, it would seem odd if you got charged with a crime, an A misdemeanor, for preventing the commission of an A infraction. Which is not even a crime.

TRWXXA

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 22, 2008
    What makes it interesting to me is that I have yet to see ONE officer NOT speed while not on a call.....
    To be fair... How do you know if they are on a call or not? Do you think that every call requires them to hit the lights and sirens?

I've done ride-alongs, and have seen up to four calls pending. The officer has to respond to them all in order of priority. If that means driving back and forth between opposite corners of his area of responsibility, then he's gonna have to haul @ss.

Top Bottom