• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • VERT

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Jan 4, 2009
    Seymour
    Tagged because I might be flying later this year. Typically I avoid air travel but Mrs.Vert tells me she ain't drivin' this time.

71silverbullet

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    36   0   0
    Oct 30, 2010
    Southern, In
    Well no problems yesterday, all was good. I will tell you that of you use an airline app to check in, you usually can't use it on your return flight because they know you are traveling with a firearm. You must check in at the luggage check area. So obviously you are flagged in the system.

71silverbullet

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    36   0   0
    Oct 30, 2010
    Southern, In
    No problems checking in at Bush intl. I spent about 2 hours at a gun range this morning, I'm sure to have a lot of GSR on me. Body scanners probably don't look for that and I didn't get pulled aside for any extra checks. Had 100 pieces of spent brass in my bag as well. No problems.

LarryC

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 18, 2012
    Frankfort
    Can't see much that can be done to eliminate crazy people from doing crazy things! If they make the baggage area a GF zone, next guy will shoot people at the shuttle bus stop or in the bus. If you make these a GF zone, they will shoot at the entrance to the parking lot! The only logical way to avoid multiple deaths is to allow the honest citizens to carry everywhere which may have some effect in taking out the perp quicker. Doubt this will happen as common sense isn't common.

71silverbullet

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    36   0   0
    Oct 30, 2010
    Southern, In
    Can't see much that can be done to eliminate crazy people from doing crazy things! If they make the baggage area a GF zone, next guy will shoot people at the shuttle bus stop or in the bus. If you make these a GF zone, they will shoot at the entrance to the parking lot! The only logical way to avoid multiple deaths is to allow the honest citizens to carry everywhere which may have some effect in taking out the perp quicker. Doubt this will happen as common sense isn't common.
    Allow honest citizens to carry everywhere???Have you truly gone mad? Everyone knows that....
    38b69628-2408-480f-86e6-f913ab08b5e6_zpsmwi4zchu.jpg

BehindBlueI's

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Oct 3, 2012
    No problems checking in at Bush intl. I spent about 2 hours at a gun range this morning, I'm sure to have a lot of GSR on me. Body scanners probably don't look for that and I didn't get pulled aside for any extra checks. Had 100 pieces of spent brass in my bag as well. No problems.

In the mid 2000's, I was doing security for a military installation that used similar equipment. Unless the technology has radically changed, the scanners are essentially an x-ray machine. Different kind of wave, and it doesn't penetrate skin, but it's "looking" and not "sniffing". The "sniffing" machines we had required a patch of cloth to be rubbed on whatever you wanted "sniffed" and then the patch was put in a machine which analyzed it for explosive compounds. I am aware that "sniffing" machines that do not require a patch exist, but don't know anything about them.

EOD's vehicle always came up hot. Go figure.

71silverbullet

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    36   0   0
    Oct 30, 2010
    Southern, In
    In the mid 2000's, I was doing security for a military installation that used similar equipment. Unless the technology has radically changed, the scanners are essentially an x-ray machine. Different kind of wave, and it doesn't penetrate skin, but it's "looking" and not "sniffing". The "sniffing" machines we had required a patch of cloth to be rubbed on whatever you wanted "sniffed" and then the patch was put in a machine which analyzed it for explosive compounds. I am aware that "sniffing" machines that do not require a patch exist, but don't know anything about them.

I've been pulled aside before in Florida (probably 5 years ago) for a random scan. It wasn't a "sniffing" machine, rather it was a chemical test. They took a swab from your hands checking for explosive residue. I can't remember the exact process, they either first sprayed a compound on the skin then wiped with a cloth checking for color change, or if they used a pretreated wipe. Either way, I passed.

Nodonutz

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 12, 2014
    Alexandria

I was in Canada a few years back and they had 'Puffer' machines. You step in, they shoot several puffs of air and then it is supposed to analyze the air for trace. TSA was going to implement them, large scale, but the program - like so many others - went bust. Not sure if that's what you were talking about.
    ?Puffer? bomb screeners a bust | The Seattle Times

Nodonutz

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 12, 2014
    Alexandria
    When I lived in ND, I traveled home to the SF Bay Area a few times. In Bismarck they would have me open my gun case on the ticket counter, in the terminal, to show them my weapon, make sure ammo/mag was taped, and they would put a tag INSIDE the box and I'd lock it in their presence. Once I got called back by TSA to open my bag. They were 'concerned' about my wife's jars of homemade salsa and apple butter I was taking to family. At SFO the guy took my box of wooden matches for my cigars, as a 'safety hazard', but ammo was OK. Weird!

STEEL CORE

Master
    Rating - 100%
    92   0   0
    Oct 29, 2008
    Fishers
    Airports all have security..............
    The 10 Airports Where the TSA Confiscates the Most Guns
    [FONT=Calibri,Calibri][FONT=Calibri,Calibri]January 17, 2017 LuggageSetsClearance Comments Offon The 10 Airports Where the TSA Confiscates the Most Guns
    You’d think that the long security lines and body scanners would be a tip-off not to try it, but thousands of people attempt to bring firearms on airplanes every year.
    In fact, the TSA recently reported that in 2016, 28% more guns were found in carry-ons at US airports than in the previous year – 3,391 guns to be exact, an average of 9 found per day. Most (83%) of them were loaded and ready to fire.
    [/FONT]
    [/FONT]The airports where the TSA confiscated the most guns were:
    [FONT=Calibri,Calibri][FONT=Calibri,Calibri]Hartsfield-Jackson Atlanta International Airport (ATL):198
    Dallas/Fort Worth International (DFW): 192
    George Bush Intercontinental Airport – Houston (IAH):128
    Phoenix Sky Harbor International (PHX):101
    Denver International (DEN): 98
    Orlando International Airport (MCO):86
    Nashville International (BNA):80
    Tampa International (TPA):79
    Austin-Bergstrom International Airport (AUS):78
    Salt Lake City International (SLC):75
    [/FONT]
    [/FONT][FONT=Segoe UI,Segoe UI][FONT=Segoe UI,Segoe UI]http://www.luggagesetclearance.com/the-10-airports-where-the-tsa-confiscates-the-most-guns/#.WH5sQfkrJhE

Jackwagons can be found anywhere.
    [/FONT]
    [/FONT]
    [FONT=Segoe UI,Segoe UI][FONT=Segoe UI,Segoe UI][/FONT][/FONT]

VERT

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Jan 4, 2009
    Seymour
    Looks like the busiest airports in states with a license to carry has the highest number of guns confiscated from carry on luggage. Really no surprise. Interesting statistic and fodder for the TSA to justify how important their job is but really not the topic at hand. It is legal to declare firearms in checked baggage. I hope that recent events in Florida does not create pressure to change those travel policies. So far as guns in carry ons is concerned my guess is most of those were innocent mistakes. Yes, boneheaded and irresponsible but mistakes none the less.

edit: Just out of curiousity I googled how many people fly per year in US. First result said 1.73 million people per day. I don't know if that is correct or just internet info but let's assume it is valid. So 9 guns found per day divided by 1.73 million passengers = 0.0000052%. 5.2 per 1 million doing the math in my head. Quite a few guns I suppose but not an epidemic. I would guess 5 people out of a million are prone to do silly things.

Last edited:

71silverbullet

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    36   0   0
    Oct 30, 2010
    Southern, In
    Update... no issues at all flying out of RSW (Fort Myers) airport in Florida. Business as usual. Checked my firearm, suit case had 100 spent cases in it also. While here I went to the shooting range. Lotus gun works from Louisville has a nice range in Naples also, so I spent an hour there. Nice place.

Top Bottom