• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • HoughMade

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 24, 2012
    Valparaiso
    Geez, I'm there about every other year. I love the city, wife still has family there. Outside of the Caribbean, it's our favorite destination. Lots of great places to visit, sights to see. Liberty Island/Ellis Island (must see), saw the Rockettes perform their Christmas Special at Radio City Music Hall (fantastic). The Art Deco at 30 Rockefeller Plaza is breath taking. I have yet to have better Chinese food than I found in Chinatown.

All very true. I haven't been in years, but I'd go back if I had the opportunity.

That being said, I have a few thoughts:

#1 It seems like this may be a good starting point to roll back the goofy laws.
    #2 Who goes to NY with a gun and doesn't know this? Even though the laws are asinine, every responsible gun owner should know the gun laws of their destination....and no, the airlines are not a good legal resource.

shibumiseeker

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    49   0   0
    Nov 11, 2009
    near Bedford on a whole lot of land.
    Then again, I couldn't carry in St Thomas, Bahamas, or Toronto but I like visiting interesting places too much to care.

I've traveled the world over and when I visit a foreign land I abide by their rules. NYC is not a foreign land though, and its mayor and political machinery want the rest of the country to be like NYC and work to try to make that happen. Given that I am not a fan of urban areas regardless, there's nothing there I want to visit badly enough to support the city.

cosermann

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Aug 15, 2008
    This has also caught people for whom NYC (and NJ) was NOT the destination.

Scenario 1 - you're flying somewhere else with a connection in NJ and miss your connection (not you're fault). You're destination is not NJ, but you have to stop there to catch another flight, bus, etc. Now what? You get arrested. Example - Traveling Man's Gun Arrest Appealed to Supreme Court | Fox News

Scenario 2 - You're flying somewhere with a connection in NY, and you're flight gets cancelled. Now what? You get arrested. Example - can't find it, but I know I've seen it. Little help?

So, this does NOT just affect people whose destination is NY or NJ. It can also affect people who intend to simply pass through.

Both of these scenarios should be covered under the "safe passage" provision whether they technically are or not - it's clearly the intent of the law. Maybe someone needs to file suit or maybe the law needs to be tweaked.

In the mean time, if you're traveling with firearms, go out of your way to avoid connections at airports in places with draconian gun laws.

FWIW - here's an attorney that has made this part of his business - so you know these situations are by no means isolated - Defending Gun Arrests at LGA and JFK Airports in New York | The Law Office of Martin D. Kane | Queens New York

Last edited:

buckstopshere

Master
    Rating - 100%
    93   0   0
    Jan 18, 2010
    Greenwood
    I'll be in NYC next week on business. I'm hitting everything north of NYC to Bangor, ME and west to Vermont so I'll only be there for the day.

I'll be leaving firearms at home.

Top Bottom