• ...and so much more!
  • Hop

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Jan 21, 2008
    Indy
    I have given up on waiting for a clear day to fix some things outside. I had a fence blown down if February and need to set nine new 4x4 into concrete. I'll just have to use rain instead of water from the hose.

I can open the pool without adding water too!

The 10 day forecast shows strong chances of rain every day.

Using Tapatalk to annoy my INGO buddies cameramonkey & churchmouse. Hi!

ditcherman

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Dec 18, 2018
    In the country, hopefully.
    Sorry to hear that. I gripe about the rain we've had and it being an inconvenience but the much more drastic side is the farmers who haven't been able to get all the seed planted or who have lost much of what has been planted due to the rain. Unfortunately nothing we can do about it. But I am sure we will all feel some pain from it at the grocery.
    How late in the season can corn & soy beans etc be planted and harvested?

Were past the time to plant/replant corn. As far as soybeans, were getting pretty late once we figure in the time it’ll take for the river to go down and the fields dry out. We’ll try to replant with soybeans if we can, but the forecast the next week or two doesn’t look very good for drying anything out.
    Just north of indy here we planted corn (110 day!) on friday, I heard a lot of guys say Saturday would be their cutoff but a lot of times that depends on what kind of crop insurance they have. It has changed a lot in the last 10 years, and a guy that pays a lot for crop insurance seems to be less motivated to plant because your payments are based on a five year average and they can take the prevented planting payment instead of dinging their 5 year average (hurting them later) and possibly collecting at the end of season. A guy that doesn't buy as high end insurance is more motivated to plant, and that same guy generally may have an old school mentality that believes an early June planted corn crop can still do ok. A lot of insurance decisions are based on how highly leveraged you are. We have a higher level of insurance but we're pretty committed to planting as we have a contract to raise non gmo food grade corn, and got it all in, barely, but have many neighbors who don't. We are extremely thankful for what we have in.
    Beans can still go in for a while but the forecast doesn't look good.
    As far as harvested late, there is no limit except the crop going down. There are actually fields around here that still have last years corn in them as of the beginning of this planting season, due to a wet 18 harvest season. The real problem with late planted crops is the threat of an early frost. I grew up hearing stories of 1974, when it didn't stop raining til end of May, no till was unheard of so the seedbed was cloddy with poor seed to soil contact, IIRC when it stopped raining it really stopped, and then, for the grand finale, it frosted in September, before crops were mature.
    Drain tile pays, we're seeing that. Again.

JeepHammer

SHOOTER
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 2, 2018
    SW Indiana
    I think the Illinois farmers have it right, just give up on planting corn and have a big party.
    We have a nice BIG lake to have that party on now... Just grab what floats, throw booze on it and get plastered.

bocefus78

Master
    Rating - 100%
    39   0   0
    Apr 9, 2014
    Hamilton Co.
    All i know is that sump pump business has to be good right now.

I seriously feel for the farmers this year. Freaking impossible to plan for this kinda situation.

ditcherman

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Dec 18, 2018
    In the country, hopefully.
    All i know is that sump pump business has to be good right now.

I seriously feel for the farmers this year. Freaking impossible to plan for this kinda situation.
    Yes, and that will follow through to chem/fert/seed retailers (which I don't feel too awful sorry for) livestock feeders, truckers/grain haulers, local and regional elevators and maybe even Chicago will notice at the board of trade.

MRockwell

Just Me
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Oct 4, 2010
    Noblesfield
    Anybody need some floats?
    qLh59HN.jpg

Mark 1911

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jun 6, 2012
    Schererville, IN
    Woke up early yesterday morning and looked out the window. A little foggy but No Rain! I thought I'd take advantage of the break in the rain to get a bicycle ride in before work. Only got a few miles when I had to put my glasses in my pocket because they were so wet from the fog I couldn't see through them any more. But, at least it wasn't raining.

indykid

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 27, 2008
    Westfield
    Rained so hard for so long yesterday (June 17) that many of the roads in my subdivision were flooded and deemed impassible. Storm drains couldn't handle the rate of fall plus the runoff.

Today the rain was hard enough to turn my backyard into a nice lake again thanks to the county grading the road behind my house in the wrong direction. Instead of draining away from my property and to the main drain, it is graded toward my yard. And to top it off, the drain leading to the lines under the road is an inch or so above ground level.

Last night I bought a blueprint for an ark.

lovemywoods

Geek in Paradise!
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    50   0   0
    Mar 26, 2008
    Brown County
    It pouring right now in Brown County! (Tuesday evening) The rain is so heavy it looks foggy outside.
    Thank the Lord I have a good roof! :rockwoot:

Leadeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 19, 2009
    Trees on hi grade slopes are falling over with the soil so wet. A real problem on highway 50

Cameramonkey

www.thechosen.tv
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    May 12, 2013
    Camby area
    For anyone on the east side of Indy, I’m sorry. This one was me today. I had outdoor work to do at one of my buildings at work. I watched the storm rotate over the top of us for several hours without moving. (Churning, not the tornado circling)

russc2542

Master
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Oct 24, 2015
    Columbus
    Managed to mow in the brief respite yesterday. The grass actually hadn't grown much between being half drowned and not seeing the sun in so long.

The upside to being on the top of a hill and my soil being 2/3 sand is it does drain decently.

Top Bottom