• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • DocJekyll

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 3, 2013
    T.H.
    I had this happen to me a few months ago, but with the incident up in MD with the child and his father, and now hearing of another incident in WA with a dude with an Umbrella, I think I need to speak up.

A few months ago, I was attending classes at my local University in Indiana and received a phone call on my way to class from my mother. She told me that there were agents from the FBI, and ATF as well as local law enforcement at the house and they wanted to speak with me. I thought she was joking and couldn't believe it until one of the men got on the phone with me and said they had a few questions for me. Obviously I was completely confused as to why I would have these guys at my home.

Now at this point she had already let them in the house (being a little ignorant of how these things work), so I was already at a disadvantage. I contacted my attorney ASAP and let him know what was going on.

When I arrived I checked all of their credentials thoroughly and asked why they were there. They asked me what kind of firearms I had, and asked me to explain a picture on facebook, as well as a post I made which "had given others concern".

The picture in question is one of me at the 2011 INGO Gemtech Supressor Shoot (Some of you were probably there), which I had as cover photo. Here is the Photo:
    327589_10150475647267370_162939162_o.jpg

Caption below picture read: Gemtech Supressor Shoot 2011

I was asked to explain where I got the supressor and whether it was still in my possession. I had to show youtube videos with timestamps as well as showing the EXIF information of the photo to prove my timeline. They then left, saying they may be back for further questions.

Now, with all this said, I have a pretty good feeling I know who "reported" me, and it was in conjunction with a local gun shop on a completely false claim that I came in looking for $800.00 in ammo (who wouldn't want ammo, but I could never afford $800 in ammo anyways, and trying to use it on a card which wasn't mine (I pay cash for all ammo purchases)). This leads me to believe it was someone else who suggested that this shop report me. I will not give that persons name because I just want it to end, but I feel I need to tell my story and show that this is going on everywhere. All I can say is THIS MUST STOP. I am a law abiding citizen, concealed carry license holder, and college student. The last thing I need or want is to have to explain myself to federal agents as to why what I am doing is legal when I have broken no laws and done nothing to provoke suspicion of breaking laws.

ghunter

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 23, 2009
    nap-town
    This is becoming a trend when people want to settle a grudge. It sounds like you were subjected to a form of "Swatting". It normally involves calling the cops and reporting a person shot and hostages taken at the residence of a person they don't like.

With you, they just knew you had a pic of you shooting a suppressed weapon and knew they could mess with you if they called Fedzilla.

I hear stories like this and remember some of the petty little crap that I have been hit with, and I wish we had Thunderdome.

Scutter01

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 21, 2008
    You "had to show"? Did they have a warrant? I'm not trying to second-guess you, but I think you should have had them ask your attorney to provide the answers. It sounds like you got bullied into a roadside trial and that they were fishing for something to charge you with.

Compatriot G

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 25, 2010
    New Castle
    I'm certainly not faulting the OP for posting a picture on Facebook. However, this is one of the reasons I don't post pictures of myself with firearms, nor do I post exactly what types or how many firearms I may own.

Classic

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   1   0
    Aug 28, 2011
    Madison County
    I see it as a direct result of fed agencies having too much $ and too much time on their hands. Otherwise their resources would be consumed chasing REAL criminals as opposed to harassing law abiding gun owners..

DocJekyll

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 3, 2013
    T.H.
    To be honest, the person is part of my extended family, and is close friends with the owner of the gun shop in question. We had a disagreement about the AWB and I simply left it at that. I suppose I was a victim of "swatting". This is what has left me to take down most of the things on my personal Facebook page, and keep my privacy settings at maximum. I shouldn't have to hide who I am or what I do for fear of being called out by someone with a grudge.

You "had to show"? Did they have a warrant? I'm not trying to second-guess you, but I think you should have had them ask your attorney to provide the answers. It sounds like you got bullied into a roadside trial and that they were fishing for something to charge you with.

They wanted to know where it was from. Since I didn't own any suppressors I didn't see any issue with showing them what I knew they could see by doing a quick internet search. It wasn't actually private data since it's on my YouTube account in uploads. I was VERY careful not to reveal potentially damning information. My attorney said I did everything right. I wouldn't have let them in my home if I could have helped it.

gunworks321

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    69   0   0
    Nov 25, 2008
    Noblesville
    Crikey! Facebook has been the undoing of countless innocent people across the country. I'm all for freedom of speech and all, but to use this medium for a vendetta, grudge or whatever smacks of the old Soviet Union and the KGB, where everyone was an informant for the Party. It did not take much for you to be picked up and after a stint in Lubyanka for interrogation, shipped off to the Gulag. You can already be picked up and held indefinitely (Patriot Act) without charges even being filed or notification to family members of your whereabouts. Freedom loving Americans better wake the Hell up.:xmad:

Bennettjh

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jul 8, 2012
    Columbus
    WOW! That was a serious waste of your time. Since they found nothing illegal I wonder if they'll go after the rat that called you in for false information? Doubt it. BTW, I don't have Fartbook and never will. I don't need to have nosey people going through my pictures and posts.

DocJekyll

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 3, 2013
    T.H.
    Wow!

I'll bet you're looking for a new gun shop now, DocJekyll.

I had stopped using that gun shop nearly 7 months before, which is why it was so easy to dismantle the idea that I had even been in the shop as claimed.

I have since started using Wabash Valley Armory as they take good care of their customers. The way I see it, if you value my business you won't alienate me.

I was already in a very compromised position as my mother is very ignorant of rights when it comes to law enforcement or federal agents asking questions. I love her to death but sometimes she's a bit ditzy and doesn't understand how serious these things can be. She had already let them in the house, showed them around and said many of the things I confirmed, and so it was more a matter of damage control at that point. If I had been there when they showed up I would have told them to pound sand if they didn't have a warrant. So to be more specific, the attorney said I did everything right from a damage control perspective.

rambone

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Mar 3, 2009
    'Merica
    They wanted to know where it was from. Since I didn't own any suppressors I didn't see any issue with showing them what I knew they could see by doing a quick internet search. It wasn't actually private data since it's on my YouTube account in uploads. I was VERY careful not to reveal potentially damning information. My attorney said I did everything right. I wouldn't have let them in my home if I could have helped it.
    Anytime you find yourself in the position of proving your innocence, I would not call it an example of "doing everything exactly right."

Darral27

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    27   0   0
    Aug 13, 2011
    Elwood
    Not trying to threadjack but some of the comments here bother me. Saying that you do not post pictures because you are worried somebody will be offended by them or call the police on you for them is part of the problem we are currently facing. I will gladly post pics of my firearms, I will proudly post pics of my children shooting my firearms. What I do is not breaking the law and I will be dammed if some fed agency or some liberal jack hole is going to me feel like I am.

My guns did not get lost in a boating accident. Some are in my safe, some are in my closet, some are in the corner in my bedroom, and one is on my hip while I am at work typing this.
    To the OP, I think you did the right thing with what you had to work with. I think everybody should always protect their rights but I was also taught to be respectful. I think you accomplished both in a rough situation.

yepthatsme

Master
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Mar 16, 2011
    Right Here
    I am not surprised by everyone wanting to maintain their privacy when it concerns their weapons. The media has done a very good job of criminalizing gun ownership. They were very successful doing the same thing to smokers. It won't be long, we will be treated even worse than smokers because we will be considered domestic terrorists.

LEaSH

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    43   0   0
    Aug 10, 2009
    Indianapolis
    Extended family or not, you have a bitter enemy that will be looking to report you for anything. Whatever the disagreement about the AWB was, they are not concerned with your well being. They only want to prove themselves superior.

I don't envy your situation one bit. Keep your distance from this person, they are too far gone in their mind that they are right and you deserve the force of the feds to harass you.

Good luck to you.

Top Bottom