• ...and so much more!
  • kjf40

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Dec 31, 2011
    Lake county
    in Goshen, Ohio

At approximately 2:30ish pm, September 6, 2012, I entered the Kroger store on SR 28 in Goshen Ohio to pick up a few items. I gathered my items and went to the 10 and under register to check-out. The person in front of me (white female, approximate age 35-43, fake nails, big braided hair do, clean clothes, carrying a purse and a plastic drinking cup) put her purchase on the check out surface - ONE GRAPE. Yes, that is correct ONE GRAPE. The cashier asked if that was all, she replied yes. The cashier then weighted the GRAPE and told the woman the cost was $.02 (TWO CENTS), the woman then pulled out her EBT card (credit card for food stamps) and swiped it through the credit card machine, requesting $24.00 in cash back. The cashier asked if she wanted the GRAPE, the woman replied no and the GRAPE was put in the garbage can.. The register recorded the sale as .02, cash back $24.00, credit .02, total $24.00 cash back. The cashier then asked if two fives would be okay because was out of tens, the woman agreed and took the $24.00 folded it up and put it in her pocket and left the store.

As the next person in line I asked the cashier "as a tax payer what in the hell just happened here?" She said she was on the clock and could not comment. I then asked if I had actually seen this person purchase and discard a GRAPE, then get cash back on her EBT card. The cashier responded that it happens all day every day in their store. She also said that if the person buying the GRAPE has it ring up over .02 they get mad and make her reweigh it. My next comment was to ask the cashier if she planned to vote in November and she said she could hardly wait for 11/6/12 to get here as one tax payer to another.

I paid for my groceries, in cash, and left the store madder than 10 wet hens.

This is not one of those stories that a friend of a friend told a friend - I WITNESSED THIS AND WOULD LOVE TO TESTIFY IN COURT TO WHAT I SAW, however, it is apparently not illegal to go into a grocery store and buy a GRAPE, throw it away and take cash back from a food stamp EBT card and walk out the door. If she is so poor she needs food stamps why in the hell didn't she buy groceries.

nipprdog

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    36   0   0
    Jan 11, 2009
    Tippecanoe county
    in Goshen, Ohio

At approximately 2:30ish pm, September 6, 2012, I entered the Kroger store on SR 28 in Goshen Ohio to pick up a few items. I gathered my items and went to the 10 and under register to check-out. The person in front of me (white female, approximate age 35-43, fake nails, big braided hair do, clean clothes, carrying a purse and a plastic drinking cup) put her purchase on the check out surface - ONE GRAPE. Yes, that is correct ONE GRAPE. The cashier asked if that was all, she replied yes. The cashier then weighted the GRAPE and told the woman the cost was $.02 (TWO CENTS), the woman then pulled out her EBT card (credit card for food stamps) and swiped it through the credit card machine, requesting $24.00 in cash back. The cashier asked if she wanted the GRAPE, the woman replied no and the GRAPE was put in the garbage can.. The register recorded the sale as .02, cash back $24.00, credit .02, total $24.00 cash back. The cashier then asked if two fives would be okay because was out of tens, the woman agreed and took the $24.00 folded it up and put it in her pocket and left the store.

As the next person in line I asked the cashier "as a tax payer what in the hell just happened here?" She said she was on the clock and could not comment. I then asked if I had actually seen this person purchase and discard a GRAPE, then get cash back on her EBT card. The cashier responded that it happens all day every day in their store. She also said that if the person buying the GRAPE has it ring up over .02 they get mad and make her reweigh it. My next comment was to ask the cashier if she planned to vote in November and she said she could hardly wait for 11/6/12 to get here as one tax payer to another.

This is not one of those stories that a friend of a friend told a friend - I WITNESSED THIS AND WOULD LOVE TO TESTIFY IN COURT TO WHAT I SAW, however, it is apparently not illegal to go into a grocery store and buy a GRAPE, throw it away and take cash back from a food stamp EBT card and walk out the door. If she is so poor she needs food stamps why in the hell didn't she buy groceries.

Do you believe every email you get???? ;)

chezuki

Human
    Rating - 100%
    48   0   0
    Mar 18, 2009
    Behind Bars
    in Goshen, Ohio

You are mistaken in what you think you saw. Not all EBT cards are for "food stamps" in fact, if cash back was received, this one positively was not.

There are two types assistance that use EBT cards, SNAP (supplemental nutrition assistance program, I.E. "food stamps") and TANF (temporary assistance to needy families). SNAP cards cannot be processed for cash back, the system WILL NOT allow it. TANF cards can be used at ATM machines or at POS for purchases and cash back. The benefits are small to begin with and a lot of people will do just as you saw to avoid the ATM fees which are as much as $5 some places.

RedneckReject

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 6, 2012
    Indianapolis
    You can't get cash back for a food stamp purchase. It's for food only. You can only get cash back if you are using the cash benefits on your EBT card. No way to get around that no matter how hard you try

steve666

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 12, 2010
    Indianapolis Eastside
    The election isn't going to help. Food Stamp fraud like this has been going on for decades, regardless of which party is in power. I can remember seeing it as far back as the Nixon years and it was probably happening before that.

mrortega

Master
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Jul 9, 2008
    Just west of Evansville
    The election isn't going to help. Food Stamp fraud like this has been going on for decades, regardless of which party is in power. I can remember seeing it as far back as the Nixon years and it was probably happening before that.
    That's right. It doesn't matter who the captain or 1st mate is once a program is established and a bureaucracy set up to administer it it takes on a life of its own. For those who think O'bama care is going to be repealed...BWAHAHAHAHAHA! There are thousands upon thousands of "public servants" already at work setting it up and thinking up all the rules that they will use to steer it. IT'S ALIVE!!!!

Stschil

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 24, 2010
    At the edge of sanit
    I can remember the days when paper food stamps were used and merchants were only allowed to give $.99 or less in change. I was threatened once because I refused to give cash instead of the appropriate amount in food stamps. Of course this was in the 80's

Last edited:

MrsXtremeVel

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 25, 2010
    Fort Wayne
    Back in the day when they actually gave food stamp " cash " I had a person give me a $1 food stamp for a penny candy. She did this twice. Then took the change to buy cigarettes. I was in high school and my boss said it was perfectly legal. Whata Crock!

kjf40

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Dec 31, 2011
    Lake county
    Do you believe every email you get???? ;)

Well for one.....i didn't get this email......it was my mother who got it and showed me...

2.....I've seen some pretty clever ways people find to screw the system and cheat it......so i don't doubt this crap happens.

People WILL always find a way to cheat the system, just takes time.

I don't open crap email like this....goes straight to my spam folder, you ever see these turn out to be a virus?
    I've had to clean MANY computers out because people open crap like this, including my moms PC....sheesh

Top Bottom