This weekend's big temp drop... what's your plan?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • srad

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Mar 22, 2009
    Elkhart/Bristol, IN
    Looking at the cold front, rising barometer, 24mph winds and rain/snow precip coming into northern IN this weekend, how would you hunt it if your two locations were 1) over a cut bean field and 2) inside a 50-yd wide wooded travel corridor.

I'm thinking there could be good activity over the cut field on Friday mid-afternoon till dark before the temps drop 33 degrees overnight, and in the travel corridor dark till noon on Saturday and Sunday. Back to the bean field for afternoon sits Sat and Sun.

Will 24mph westerly winds dampen deer movement Sat & Sun or should the temp drop to the low-30's keep them feeding and moving?

Really looking to make the most of the weekend since it's one of the few I've got to put some meat in the freezer.

bobjones223

Master
    Rating - 98.2%
    55   1   0
    Mar 3, 2011
    Noblesville, IN
    Sorry but my vote would be none of the above. With that wind, rain/snow, and dropping temps I would go on the stalk if your area supports it. Every time I have faced those conditions the deer just bed down because they can't hear, can't smell, and everything is moving.....USE THAT TO YOUR ADVANTAGE!

Take some good glass and move slow glassing the ridges...they will hang out where they can see what's coming.

jagee

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Jan 19, 2013
    New Palestine
    I'm hoping to have the same luck I had last year. Sit on thr ground away from my normal spot in the stand and catch him on the way to bed down before the rain starts. Literally shot less than 15 mins before the rain last year.

sugarcreekbrass

Expert
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Mar 29, 2015
    West central
    If I didn't have a buck yet, I would probably be out there. If you can find a food source protected from the wind you would be in a good spot. Doesn't matter either way this Saturday as I will be watching a wrestling tourney.

possumpacker

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 15, 2009
    parke co
    hunt the food sources 24 hrs prior to the fronts arrival then stalk during the bad weather while there hunkered down, you know like when most sane people stay inside except the real deer hunters.

bocefus78

Master
    Rating - 100%
    39   0   0
    Apr 9, 2014
    Hamilton Co.
    If you don't have the ground to stalk ( too small of parcel), ground blind, buddy heater, and a chair would be my approach. Preferably near a food source or known doe bedding area.

yetti462

Master
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    May 18, 2016
    Unglaciated heaven
    I have an elevated shooting house in a wind protected creek bottom that over looks a 2 acre standing corn field along with an acre of winter wheat, oat and turnips. That is my plan along as my wife doesn't sabotage me with something stupid again.

srad

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Mar 22, 2009
    Elkhart/Bristol, IN
    Great info here! Parcels are small but do include some thick bedding areas. I've seen three decent bucks in the corridor, haven't seen any does in the corridor.
    And I've seen 5 does and one small fork buck in the cut bean field along, all entering through a south facing inside corner.
    Looking forward to Friday afternoon and Sat & Sun morning.

d80hunter

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 21, 2015
    Hope
    How big is the woods your hunting in? Still hunting is a good strategy during weather like your predicting. As far as your 2 scenarios I have had luck sitting on the edges of cut fields during bad weather. Sometimes the deer will come out in the fields earlier because they have spent more time than usual in a thicket.

I would prefer to still hunt since the high winds and rain will cover a hunters sound and scent. I'm going to Hoosier National Forest this weekend. I plan on still hunting the thick areas and bringing a chair to sit overlooking the valleys. I'm sure it will feel colder with the wind and rain so I will take a small propane heater to warm up some water for coffee and soup.

srad

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Mar 22, 2009
    Elkhart/Bristol, IN
    Plot with cut bean field is about 35 acres, mostly wooded and surrounded by ag fields. The circled areas are where I've seen does. Small north/south field is where they come into from the inside corners at dusk.
    View attachment 51326

The wooded corridor is where I've seen four decent bucks; always travelling through alone. Used to see does here in years past but with the massive flooding in August, about half of the corridor still has about 3-8" of standing water in it. Not sure if that has anything to do with does not walking through this fall. I set up in a blowdown on the far west boundary with a westerly wind. Red line is the property boundaries, yellow lines are deer trails.
    View attachment 51327

lovetheoutdoors

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 15, 2016
    Columbus
    The top image has a lot of bedding potential. However I only see one possible great location for a safe shooting position. The small northern bean field at the west point with a north east shoot window looks good to me. The only problem is you do need them to come out and feed. With the high winds in the forecast I am concerned they may not come out. What is the lay of the land like? Do these fields have some depressions that may shield them from the wind? If so you can expect this to help you chance of them feeding with windy conditions. I hope this helps you out. If anyone see something else I don't please share. Thanks

lovetheoutdoors

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 15, 2016
    Columbus
    The lower image has some nice activity going in on the north east side. Unfortunately its on the property line. Have you requested access from the northern land owner to possibly hunt that lower area where all those trails cross. It appears to me this would be a heavy funnel area. I dont see many safe shooting areas in the field except for the center north area and shooting east into the woods. Out of both your properties I would much rather hunt the spot I noted in the top image. keep in mind I have no clue if this land has any depressions or hills that could be sufficient back stops. Hope this helps you out.

warthog

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    66   0   0
    Feb 12, 2013
    Vigo County
    I put a winter trigger guard on my Ruger SR556. Phase 5 with lots of room for warm gloves...my planning for this winter in general.
    RugerSR556-2.jpg

otherwise no real plans... :)

srad

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Mar 22, 2009
    Elkhart/Bristol, IN
    The top image has a lot of bedding potential. However I only see one possible great location for a safe shooting position. The small northern bean field at the west point with a north east shoot window looks good to me. The only problem is you do need them to come out and feed. With the high winds in the forecast I am concerned they may not come out. What is the lay of the land like? Do these fields have some depressions that may shield them from the wind? If so you can expect this to help you chance of them feeding with windy conditions. I hope this helps you out. If anyone see something else I don't please share. Thanks

Thanks for the comments. Fields are very flat and consistent. In the bottom photo there is a short ridge with about a 6-7' drop that runs just inside the woodlot where the grass field meets the trees in the NE. With the winds Sat & Sun coming from the WNW, I can still hunt into that area to see if anything is bedded down on the low side.

Doesn't sound too promising, but I'll be out there.

Top Bottom