• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • boonedock

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 2, 2012
    DECATUR Co.
    Smoked him tonight with the Ruger 77/44 same gun has killed the last 8 or 9 deer iv'e shot. Also a pic of last years buck got it back from Taxidermist today. ya its in the wifes avalanche! LOL!! My cummins is currently being lifted....
    2012-11-18_20-04-58_199.jpg

2012-11-18_20-10-12_764.jpg

kyron4

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 13, 2012
    Awesome ! I was thinking about getting a 77/44 are they pretty accurate ? I've read mixed reviews.

trimman83

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jun 22, 2010
    Warren Park
    What ammo do you use? I have been using Honady 200 gr XTP. I am well practiced and sighted in 1" low at 50 yds and I keep all my shots smaller than a baseball at that distance. I took a good buck on a special hunt last week that took 3 shots to bring down. I have since shot a doe at 20yds, but very little expansion of the bullet, and no exit wound. On Saturday, I shot at 2 deer, at different times, both broadside at 50 yds with a good rest. I walked the woods looking for blood or a sign of a hit. Both deer jumped a little at the shot, then walked around awhile before wandering away, uphill. I had no other opportnities for shots. I found no sign of a hit on either one. In the low-light conditions of 8-9am on both shots, I may not have seen small twigs that I think might have deflected the shots. I have since checked my rifle and it is still sighted in just fine, but I have gone back to the woods with my trusty MK85 muzzle loader w/325g hollow points. it has never taken more than one shot. I realy like my 77/44 and I am looking for a good reason to take it back out. Long story I know, but for now, I am blaming my ammo. Any input from you or some of the others would be great.

snapping turtle

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 5, 2009
    Madison county
    Exactly what is done on a "trigger job" adjust for less weight? less travel? both?

Mainly crispness and lighter pull. sometimes only requiring a little stoning of the internals without changing the shape. Heavy trigger and light weight carbine rifle will for a right handed shooter pull shots to the right. Lawyer friendly triggers will require more than stoning.

Deer shot with 44 mag bullets in the upper half of chest do not seem to leave much of a blood trail but most have run and fallen over in 50 yards or less. The chest cavity on my last 2 were full of blood but not much on the ground. A drop or two. both heart and double lung hits. both dead but running so to speak. Now hit one in the bottom half of the chest and she will spurt blood all over the hillside.

I have never seen a deer shot with a 44 mag JSP's that did not have an exit wound under 100 yards. If you are not having an exit wound at 20 yards well that is unexpected. I have chest/neck shot deer and the bullet still exited the ham on the right side.

boonedock

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 2, 2012
    DECATUR Co.
    What ammo do you use? I have been using Honady 200 gr XTP. I am well practiced and sighted in 1" low at 50 yds and I keep all my shots smaller than a baseball at that distance. I took a good buck on a special hunt last week that took 3 shots to bring down. I have since shot a doe at 20yds, but very little expansion of the bullet, and no exit wound. On Saturday, I shot at 2 deer, at different times, both broadside at 50 yds with a good rest. I walked the woods looking for blood or a sign of a hit. Both deer jumped a little at the shot, then walked around awhile before wandering away, uphill. I had no other opportnities for shots. I found no sign of a hit on either one. In the low-light conditions of 8-9am on both shots, I may not have seen small twigs that I think might have deflected the shots. I have since checked my rifle and it is still sighted in just fine, but I have gone back to the woods with my trusty MK85 muzzle loader w/325g hollow points. it has never taken more than one shot. I realy like my 77/44 and I am looking for a good reason to take it back out. Long story I know, but for now, I am blaming my ammo. Any input from you or some of the others would be great.
    Pretty sure its a 230 grain? But its american eagle brand....Only ones I found that shoot good out of them...mine is about a 3 inch group at 100 yards. Free handed. HORNADAY AMMO IS JUNK...used to be thebest its all about spittin it out now...IMO Fedreal bulk ammo is better than most Hornady...and when they started the "Zombie crap Ammo" I lost all respect for em...all about marketing and making more coin...for less of a product.

.356luger

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 25, 2010
    martinsville
    I shoot 225grain lever evolution out of mine put a hockey puck sized exit in the other side buck ran 20 yards and jumped into the deepest ravine on the property.

On the trigger of the 77/44 I bought a drop in volquartsen match grade trigger 15 min and it works great plus they are about 40$

Nice buck by the way

boonedock

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 2, 2012
    DECATUR Co.
    I shoot 225grain lever evolution out of mine put a hockey puck sized exit in the other side buck ran 20 yards and jumped into the deepest ravine on the property.

On the trigger of the 77/44 I bought a drop in volquartsen match grade trigger 15 min and it works great plus they are about 40$

Nice buck by the way
    I would LOVE to see a picture of a hockey puck sized exit wound..:popcorn:
    And where did you get that trigger for 40.00....I will take 10.:yesway:

Top Bottom