• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • snapping turtle

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 5, 2009
    Madison county
    The true Thompson center went belly up in 2006-2007 bought by smith and Wesson.

Guess I have not followed T/c auto rifles much since I bought a T/c classic when Galyans went under right before they boxed them up for the auction.

The classic was recalled because the extractor would chip the chamber. They then came out with the R-55 to replace the classic. Then they must have done what you are looking for.

I got a great price on three rifles when Galyans went belly up. a tc classic target a ruger 10-22 heavy barrel target and something else I can not remember but probably a marlin 336. (I sold the third.) The Ruger gets a ton of rounds but the classic sets in it’s box untouched (minus a quick clean every couple years.) t/c recalled them and said they had a fix. Then recalled the fix and you could send in your classic and they would give you a contender G2 rifle an axis rifle and maybe a few others. They had dealer send unsold rifles back and lots of people sent them in to get the other offers)

I just put the classic away. Last classic target I saw used was 695 and did not have a chip but did have a shinny spot on the chamber and the extractor. I think the owner did a little extractor stone polish to remove the contacting material. (All that was really needing to be done.) I believe the way it works that extractor only extracted Unfired rounds when unloading. I believe the action when shot had a catch that would cause the shell to eject from a spring and kick extractor on the other side. I might have one of the only unfired mint in Box t/c classic left in the world. (No but it sounds good)

The classic recall and the purchase buy smith pretty much doomed them in. Tc arms websight last I looked still had dicks sporting goods as a local dealer. I don’t think Dick’s has sold guns in years now. So the web site is outdated also.

Good luck. (If you are looking for a very accurate plonked/tree rats hunter) My two cents would be take a ten-22 from ruger and send it off to have it redone. I can give you my guys address. They will true the injection molded receiver and fit the barrel in a way that is now not unusual now but was when he started doing them. True the barrel face and bolt contact(normally this happens when the receiver is true anyway) free float the barrel to the stock, trigger job, he does last shot hold open if you want and I always get his mag release. (These can all be purchased from many of the 10-22 aftermarket people now) best of all he would test fire and then give you a box of what it shot best and the torque setting for the screws that worked best.

Good luck if you’re looking for one.

patience0830

.22 magician
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 96.6%
    28   1   0
    Nov 3, 2008
    Not far from the tree
    Had one of the bull barrel TC's. Thing shot lights out. Sold it to a guy in Morgantown. I still miss it occasionally. It was what Ruger SHOULD have built when they designed the 10/22.

Top Bottom