Those fired rounds in sealed envelopes...

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • 686 Shooter

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Feb 20, 2010
    Huntington County
    I know that the states that use these empty casings for identity purpose, have given this a great deal of thought, but what if the purchaser of the gun replaced the two empty casings with two that he picked up at the shooting range?

alloyguitar

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 11, 2011
    How is a shell casing going to be useful for identifying anything? It wouldn't be that good for ballistics, since it'd have no rifling striations, and, if they came factory sealed, they'd have none of your dna/fingerprints/blah blah blah.

I could understand that perhaps the action of the firearm would leave marks on the casing that'd be unique, but I'd suspect that these wouldn't match after the break in, or later in the firearm's servicable life.

insanemonkey

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 17, 2011
    Lake County
    It is just another hoop to jump through. You could always replace the barrel, slide or other parts. Never mind the fact that the marks will change as the gun ages. So its a pointless waste of money.

Some dumb politician saw a movie where they used casings to solve a crime and figured if it is in a movie it must be real.

EvilBlackGun

Master
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   1
    Apr 11, 2011
    Mid-eastern
    Can you say, "Firing-pin"? You have your paranoia, I have mine.

Ever since coming back from 'Nam every rifled weapon I own has had four examples collected and distributed, of fired casing, and recovered projectile. The USAF required our unit personnel, since we were 'Nam vets, and if owning firearms, to give the above mentioned samples to the Air Police, the unit ExO, and the Commanders' office specifically, and a set kept w/ the gun. I kept doing that when I was let out. One set to local town Marshall, one set to Sheriff, and one set offered to State Police, who had no facility for retention, so I kept them, and my own. Not necessary, good if anyone steals my piece and may use it in a crime. The BATFU(sic) does not bother me in the least. They'll do what they do, without any help from us. Relax.

billybob44

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    385   0   0
    Sep 22, 2010
    In the Man Cave
    Balistic Fingerprint.

How is a shell casing going to be useful for identifying anything? It wouldn't be that good for ballistics, since it'd have no rifling striations, and, if they came factory sealed, they'd have none of your dna/fingerprints/blah blah blah.

I could understand that perhaps the action of the firearm would leave marks on the casing that'd be unique, but I'd suspect that these wouldn't match after the break in, or later in the firearm's servicable life.

Each+every firearm will leave different marks on the case also. The brass itself will have different scratches, dents, marks on the case.
    On center fires the firing pin will also leave a unique mark on the spent primer.
    On rim fires the rim will have a unique mark.
    All of these marks,dents,and scratches are useful to identify what chamber the case was shot from.
    If used in a revolver, chances are that no case will be left at the scene, unless a re-load was made.
    You are absolutely correct-these marks change over the lifespan of a firearm, or with a little "GunSmithing" work!!
    This is just another "Feel Good" move on the part of the firearm Mfg., no different than putting the USELESS internal locks on them..Bill.

PS:Also-YES-The states of NY+Mass. DO require these on all new hand guns sold in their states==DUMB LAW, by those states!!

Last edited:

alloyguitar

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 11, 2011
    I figured that's what the case was.

Wonder what they'd do about one of those rossi 410/.22lr interchangeable barrel deals, or is it only for autos, since a break open wouldn't leave anything other than the pin mark?

billybob44

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    385   0   0
    Sep 22, 2010
    In the Man Cave
    I figured that's what the case was.

Wonder what they'd do about one of those rossi 410/.22lr interchangeable barrel deals, or is it only for autos, since a break open wouldn't leave anything other than the pin mark?

I may stand corrected, but I think it is for all firearms?
    The break opens will also leave other marks-made on the brass by the chambers/recoil shields, of the firearm.. Bill.

Sigblaster

Soon...
    Rating - 100%
    53   0   0
    Apr 2, 2008
    Indy
    Ever since coming back from 'Nam every rifled weapon I own has had four examples collected and distributed, of fired casing, and recovered projectile. The USAF required our unit personnel, since we were 'Nam vets, and if owning firearms, to give the above mentioned samples to the Air Police, the unit ExO, and the Commanders' office specifically, and a set kept w/ the gun. I kept doing that when I was let out. One set to local town Marshall, one set to Sheriff, and one set offered to State Police, who had no facility for retention, so I kept them, and my own. Not necessary, good if anyone steals my piece and may use it in a crime. The BATFU(sic) does not bother me in the least. They'll do what they do, without any help from us. Relax.

LOLWTF?!?!

Brandon

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Jun 28, 2010
    SE Indy
    Can I ask, no disrespect intended, why keep something the goverment intends to track a gun with?

What doesn't the government not keep track of as it is?

There is paper work at gun shops all around Indianapolis with my names on papers saying I bought a gun at some point in time... if I still have it or not is debatable.

Besides, my guns were lost in a boating accident.

shooter651

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 6, 2010
    I can't find the article, but I thought is was posted somewhere here about glock being the only manufacturer to participate in a program (voluntarily) to give the gov. info from the test firing..

Top Bottom