Those of you with inferior eyes, what do you wear while shooting?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • theweakerbrother

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Mar 28, 2009
    Bartholomew County, IN
    I wear prescription glasses. I like them. They make me look smarter than what I am (easy to do) and contacts are not an option for me. I blame it on having an astigmatism but really it's because I'm a wuss and can't touch my eyes without throwing a fit.

Aside from "HTFU", what do you recommend for prescription eye wear while shooting? Mainly, I'm looking for some kind of recommendation for eye wear that can do double duty as sunglasses. I hate to carry more junk around than I do now but I'm tired of squinting while shooting and driving.

I also swore I wouldn't get transition lenses until I had grand children. :rockwoot:
    :popcorn:

pinshooter45

Master
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Sep 1, 2009
    Indianapolis
    What I wear

I just wear my normal scripts, with good clip on's, and a hat. I'm going to get a Boonie hat soon, due to a suggestion on a high power website I came across. But if you really want to get good scripts, Shooting USA did an episode that had a segemnt called "Help for Old Eyes", and have a link to a place you can send your script to and get custom made glasses. There are some local eye DR's that will work with you but don't know any offhand. And I'll never get transitions because they won't stay dark in a car!

bigus_D

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Dec 5, 2008
    Country Side
    I started wearing contacts for shooting. I'm a wuss too, but eventually learned to touch my eye and now it is no problem. I think looking through a lense, unless you are looking straight through (i.e. with the lense perfectly perpendicular to target), causes some issues. If you take the lense and move it around you'll see the objects through the lense getting warped... that is the effect I'm talking about.

Anyhow, I got a pair of ballistic rated oakley's and wear my contacts. I keep a pair of clear safety glasses in my bag in case of low light conditions.

lawrra

Master
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Mar 28, 2009
    Huntington
    Eh, the Wiley-X's that we where issued in Afghanistan where expensive pieces of crap. That was 5ish years ago though. The dollar special Hoji glasses lasted longer than the Wiley-X's.
    I don't have any. Those are just what I found and if they're junk I'll take your word for it.

OAK

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 16, 2010
    TH
    I wear my everyday glasses, Ted Bakers transition with polycarbonate lens. They work perfectly to block sun and hot brass. The only issue I have is with the transistions they become very dark and make it almost impossible to walk inside a building after being exposed to UV.

EvilleDoug

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 8, 2010
    Evansville
    It may not the type of suggestion/answer you're asking for, but I wear my riding glasses while shooting. It keeps any blow back from going under the lenses and getting into my eyes. As soon as I can afford a pair, I will be buying a pair of H-D riding glasses. They're scratch resistant, and look cool, and dude...I'm all about looking cool. :n00b:

dubsac

Master
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    May 31, 2009
    Indianapolis
    I wear regular glasses but are looking into getting a pair of sunglasses made from my eye dr. I asked him a few weeks ago if he could do any pair I wanted and the answer was yes just at a price. Depending on the size of the lens and shape.

Top Bottom