Those SKS`s are getting expensive .......

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • IUKalash429

Bullet Hose
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    Apr 6, 2019
    Rum Ham
    You have the M59 Yugo SKS variant. The M56/66A1 was the first variant to have the muzzle brake and grenade launcher. Your Yugo SKS was one of the first ones made. It was not sporterized. The M59's are worth more because they have lower production numbers

You sure about that? I'm somewhat familiar with the earlier Yugo M59 PAP variants and much more so with the M59/66 variants (and their nearly identical night sight-equipped M59/66A1 variants, which Stocknup's appears to be). Cherry's out of Greensboro, NC was a highly-regarded Yugo SKS importer but I thought they brought in the "/66" variants, which is even import stamped on his gun. Many Yugo SKS importers did leave off the "A1" designation on rifles that did in fact have the night sights.

Yes I realize he doesn't have a grenade launching spigot on his, but a lot of folks over the years removed theirs as well to shorten the overall length. Stock's example also appears to have the FSB section where the ladder sight would attach. I don't think the earlier M59s had that.

stocknup

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Mar 28, 2011
    Monrovia area
    You sure about that? I'm somewhat familiar with the earlier Yugo M59 PAP variants and much more so with the M59/66 variants (and their nearly identical night sight-equipped M59/66A1 variants, which Stocknup's appears to be). Cherry's out of Greensboro, NC was a highly-regarded Yugo SKS importer but I thought they brought in the "/66" variants, which is even import stamped on his gun. Many Yugo SKS importers did leave off the "A1" designation on rifles that did in fact have the night sights.

Yes I realize he doesn't have a grenade launching spigot on his, but a lot of folks over the years removed theirs as well to shorten the overall length. Stock's example also appears to have the FSB section where the ladder sight would attach. I don't think the earlier M59s had that.
    I agree with you here .......Like Murphy , at first I thought it may have been a M59 when I got it .
    As stated , it is stamped 59/66 , also not sure why they would install a mounting bracket for a ladder site they were not going to install , and it does have the 59/66 bayonet ( with a "hook" for latching) , as opposed to the M59 which has a full barrel loop band .
    I wish it were a 59 .
    I remember about 10 years ago ? Aim Surplus offered up what they called the "59 series " I think they were just modified 59/66 with GL and parts removed , but looked nothing like this one .
    It is in unfired condition, serial number puts it at 1980/81 .

Last edited:

pinshooter45

Master
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Sep 1, 2009
    Indianapolis
    For anyone in the Indy area, Beech Grove Firearms had a Chinese SKS priced at 499. in todays market that ain't bad if one really wants one. Stock was pretty rough but solid. Almost made me wonder if it spent it's life in the tunnels of southeast Asia, No folding Bayonet of any kind was present. There was also some kind of FAL variant on the rack for over !K. Did not inspect it just asked the price, now I can't remember the exact price

Top Bottom