• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Aug 23, 2009
    Brainardland
    I use to carry a S&W 642 in a belly band when I worked for the DNR a while back. Part of my gig was working 3rd shift gate attendant at the horseman's campground. We weren't allowed to carry, and I was alone in a shack in the middle of the night with a few thousand dollars on busy weekends. Needless to say, I didn't pay too much attention to the rules. Belly band was the only way I had of making sure no one might see my gun if I bent over. I never had any problems with it, but I definitely prefer IWB carry.

After my retirement from my LEO career I took a part time gig at my local Home Dept. They were similarly unenlightened concerning going heeled with personal hardware. I carried my Model 40 (your 642's granddaddy) in my belly band.

TheFireArmorer

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Dec 16, 2011
    Bloomington
    Which is why one must choose the platform and/or method very carefully when considering a system such as these. A DA/SA or DAO platform would be the way to go in tehse instances, IMO.

Exactly. When I got a belly band, the only thing I considered carrying in it was my 642, simply because I felt confident that nothing was going to make that gun go off except my finger (and even that took quite an effort).

451_Detonics

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Mar 28, 2010
    North Central Indiana
    I have used belly bands a good bit, when driving a lot carrying in one in a crossdraw position makes getting to the gun quick and easy. I also use concealment T-shirts a lot as well, again excellent in a car.

ART338WM

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jun 2, 2013
    Thanks to all for the well thought out responses, especially concerning the type of firearm I planed on carrying in it. I never gave any thought to trigger protection as all my holsters are made either partially or entirely from Kydex so trigger protection is not a factor I had to consider. Your experienced based advice opened my eyes to such considerations. Will likely stick with well made IWB holsters.

Thanks again,
    Arthur.

bstewrat3

Master
    Rating - 100%
    142   0   0
    Apr 26, 2009
    Beech Grove
    I used a bellyband holster for cycling for several years and it worked good, but do not plan on the breathability of your cycling clothes to keep your sidearms from getting sweaty. You will have to clean everyday if you sweat at all and would recommend a complete teardown weekly if you ride regularly. I had a Glock 19 completely fail due to the internal damage my sweat did, and I was spraying it after every ride with Remclean and relubing according to the user manual. I now use a Survival Sheath Systems chest holster and a S&W 642 for all of my cycling. I went with the 642 for two reason. I like to carry two rounds of CCI shotshells and a revolver is the best platform for that and I can pop the sideplate off of the revolver and get at all of the internals to keep rust at bay.

russc2542

Master
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Oct 24, 2015
    Columbus
    I thought of that. When I run and bike, I wear running and bicycle spandex shorts under my gym shorts. They are designed to wick moisture and sweat. So I'm hoping that will solve the sweat problem. I've been anxious to try that theory out.

Wick doesn't mean it just dissapears, it means the moisture is pulled from the surface (in this case against your skin) and distributed through the material (outward toward the gun). :yesway:

hog slayer

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 10, 2015
    Camp Lejeune, NC
    I used a bellyband holster for cycling for several years and it worked good, but do not plan on the breathability of your cycling clothes to keep your sidearms from getting sweaty. You will have to clean everyday if you sweat at all and would recommend a complete teardown weekly if you ride regularly. I had a Glock 19 completely fail due to the internal damage my sweat did, and I was spraying it after every ride with Remclean and relubing according to the user manual. I now use a Survival Sheath Systems chest holster and a S&W 642 for all of my cycling. I went with the 642 for two reason. I like to carry two rounds of CCI shotshells and a revolver is the best platform for that and I can pop the sideplate off of the revolver and get at all of the internals to keep rust at bay.

Recently began carrying my 642 after my kel Tec failed (albeit not due to sweat). It was always tough to keep out rust

Top Bottom