• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Frank_N_Stein

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    79   0   0
    Nov 24, 2008
    Beech Grove, IN
    Wonder why some people don't like the police.

I've never given a false name at any time during my career to get out of something that was obviously my fault and that I should take responsibility for. But thanks for once again proving my point that just because I'm the police I am automatically responsible for and an accomplice to the stupid **** that other cops do.

NYFelon

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 1, 2011
    DPRNY
    don't get defensive dude. He specifically pointed out the NJSP, not Officer Frank_N_Stein of x municipal police force.

did you read the whole article?

Through a series of interviews and a trail of documents, The Star-Ledger has learned that Gillespie is the undercover name for State Police Detective Sgt. William Billingham and that his true identity was withheld from Tanksley — in violation of State Police policy — leaving Tanksley and his lawyer to go on a prolonged wild goose chase for a phantom. The newspaper also found that Billingham’s fellow troopers provided Tanksley’s insurance company with fictional and incomplete information.

It's obvious there was a deliberate and concerted effort by his coworkers to keep him from being found. No one is slighting or maligning all officers. But the more this stuff occurs, and the more it's going to be found out now when it does....this is the information age, the more the public will become wary of the police. It's not YOU specifically......but within your midst are clearly men and women who dishonor the oaths they took to uphold the law, especially when doing so may inconvenience them.

Last edited:

bobzilla

Mod in training (in my own mind)
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 1, 2010
    Brownswhitanon.
    It's New Jersey. Seriously... the only thing worth a fawk to eer come from that state I married....and she was smart enought to LEAVE.

ElsiePeaRN

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 18, 2011
    Eastern Indiana
    It's New Jersey. Seriously... the only thing worth a fawk to eer come from that state I married....and she was smart enought to LEAVE.

Hey! I take serious offense at that comment. I was smart enough to leave too :) But I was dumb enough to go to California next :rolleyes: So since I'm in Indiana now, I guess I'm redeeemed?

I'll stop getting defensive when the members of INGO take as much time to lump all felons together as they do the police.

That's a fair offer :) It IS interesting that on average, felons seem to take less heat than LEOs here. It still surprises me.

buzzined

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Dec 6, 2010
    Crown Point
    I grew up in NJ also lived in NY for 10 years. Altho I don'r think all LEO are bad, actually I know alot that are or were friends and they are all good cops, this story does not suprise me one bit.

ElsiePeaRN

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 18, 2011
    Eastern Indiana
    who lumped all police together? Seriously?

First, let me say I don't claim to be speaking for Frank. And I acknowledge he appears at first glance to someone new here to be a little over-sensitive, but I can completely understand why he responded the way he did.

There are some patterns here at INGO. 1-Somebody posts an OC thread and somebody has to offer their opinion that OCing is [insert negative adjective here.] 2-Somebody posts a bad cop story and then people start talking about how all police are judged by their actions. Like clockwork. So people tend to get reactive at the first sign of either of these things.

Wonder why some people don't like the police. POS like this hurt all of us.
    Sounds like half the NJSP should be fired and have charges filed against them.

There ya go...

We all tend to react strongly when we hear of a LEO that does something illegal or dishonest or hyper-aggressive. But it seems that in every "bad cop" thread that is started here, someone takes the actions of one or a few bad cops and starts generalizing about all police. It usually starts with, "This is why people don't like the police." Then it blows up from there. Comments like this suggest that all police are to be judged by the actions of the minority of guys like this NJ trooper. People start piling on and good cops like Frank get **** thrown at them as if they deserve it.

I'll stop getting defensive when the members of INGO take as much time to lump all felons together as they do the police.

Frank has a point here. I suspect if you spend some time searching the threads, you'll see that almost every form of criminal is defended far more than LEOs.. Now, there are some LEOs on here that I would not care for if I ever met and hope our paths never cross. We do seem to have some of our own resident Jack Booted Thugs :) I've given them some heat of my own. But we have some terrific officers here and I agree that we tend to jump to the generalizations too quickly. I would not judge any officer based on the actions of another. I certainly wouldn't assume that "half the NJSP" ought to be fired based on this story.

I've known many LEOs in my life and I honestly have not met a single dishonest one that I know of. (and a number of them are NJSP). I wouldn't choose all of them as my BFFs, and I didn't LIKE them all, but I would never judge them based on the actions of this NJ Trooper. The OP seems to make that generalization - because this NJ Trooper and his buddies were dishonest, that reflects on other LEOs. The vast majority of my interactions with police have been positive. I don't assume that every officer deserves praise and kudos for being a great guy, but I don't condemn them either. We have some great LEOs that participate here, Frank being one of them.

I don't approve of everything police do or are expected to do. I'm one of the loudest ones here when it comes to complaining about abuse of power. I do expect "good" cops to take a stand against the "bad" ones. It makes my blood boil to hear a LEO defending another in "the brotherhood" who was clearly in the wrong. But that's where it stops for me.

NYFelon

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 1, 2011
    DPRNY
    I guess I can understand that. But From what I've gathered the OP is LEO (ret.). He stated that the actions of the cop in particular, and the one's whom helped him break the law are bad for PR. And he's right. It's hard for citizens to trust the police sometimes, when they see these things that some police are willing to do to protect themselves and their careers. How are we to know if the cop we interact with is the one that is willing to "do whatever it takes" to insure he doesn't end up with a file down at IAD?

As I said, this is the information age, everyone has a videocamera/voice recorder in their pocket. That's why there's such a stink about "eavesdropping laws" when police are videoed by the citizenry. It's a shame really. I'm sure the overwhelming majority of LEOs are decent, bright, hard working folks who just want to do their job, and get home safe at night. But the more these images and videos, these stories in the papers keep popping up, it drives a divide between those who have taken the oath to protect, and those they are supposed to protect.

Does that make sense?

ElsiePeaRN

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 18, 2011
    Eastern Indiana
    Does that make sense?

Yes, it makes perfect sense. Knowing the Dogman is retired LEO changes the perspective a little, in that he was expressing the frustration with other bad officers influencing peoples' opinions (and in turn, I would add, encouraging generalizations.) But when he started with his own generalizations I think that is what got Frank's Irish up.

Dogman

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 5, 2008
    Hamilton County
    The posting of this thread had nothing to do with attacking the police as a whole. It's a news story about some NJSP and when reading it I was like OMG what a POS for doing this to someone. I was a cop and retired before most of the officers on here were out of school. So if anyone gets their feelings hurt over a story about bad cops in NJ, deal with it and don't wear your feelings on your sleeve. I've never been one to look the other way and let's not talk about it. One of the worst days in my life was when I had to arrest one of my best friends who had been a cop about 10 years, someone who I would NEVER imagine doing what he did. I know better than most on here that most officers are good people that do good deeds everyday without a thank you.

samot

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 9, 2009
    Your mamas house
    LMAO
    "felons" are not paid to protect the public
    Cops are !!
    Felons are expected to smash into your vehicle & give a fake name & address .....General Population doesnt expect Cops to do this kind of ****
    Its pretty obvious that a whole bunch of LEOs were doing shady **** here.
    No one said ... man that frank is a bad guy ....
    What are the people supposed to say/think Frank , when a bunch of cops pull **** like this ???? Are they supposed to blame the "felons":dunno:

Last edited:

PatriotPride

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Feb 18, 2010
    Valley Forge, PA
    while not devaluing your wife's glory, I'd say Edison might count too.

Tesla!!! Screw Edison. ;)

:n00b: Calm down and READ the OP. There's nothing to get defensive about.

who lumped all police together? Seriously?

Just ignore it---some members here get too defensive when it comes to holding others in their profession accountable.

Top Bottom