• ...and so much more!
  • printcraft

INGO Clown
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Feb 14, 2008
    Uranus
    The only reason to go to Yellowstone is to say you’ve been there. Well. The car accidents are interesting too. Japanese tourists can’t drive.

have you been to Yellowstone? You’re the first person (in a lot of reading) who says it’s not worth going.
    I know it’s crowded (hopefully going in late Sept. will help that), but there is so much natural beauty, I don’t know how anyone wouldn’t want to see it!?

jamil is well known to hate anything to do with volcanism, or the beach for that matter because of all of that sand... Especially sand, it's coarse and rough and irritating and it gets everywhere.

jamil

code ho
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 17, 2011
    Gtown-ish
    have you been to Yellowstone? You’re the first person (in a lot of reading) who says it’s not worth going.
    I know it’s crowded (hopefully going in late Sept. will help that), but there is so much natural beauty, I don’t know how anyone wouldn’t want to see it!?
    Sorry I missed your question. Yes. I’ve been there. Lots of natural beauty there, sure. I just don’t like touristy crowds. Yellowstone is one of the most crowdedest, and touristiest places on the planet. I was just saying, if crowds of uber touristy people doing uber-stupid things make you grumpy, it’s not the best vacation.

Now. One way I would definitely consider going back would be in the winter on a snowmobile tour. That looks fun. As long as there aren’t a bunch of idiots in the tour group, I’d be down for that.

Dirtebiker

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    49   0   0
    Feb 13, 2011
    Greenwood
    Also want to mention this place, not as a place to stay (very pricey and booked a year in advance) but as a stop to rest and eat when moving through Grand Teton NP. Excellent food, gorgeous surroundings and reasonable prices (for what you get, not fast food real restaurant)

https://www.gtlc.com/lodges/jackson-lake-lodge
    Wow, is the view from the dining room really that awesome? We might have to stop there on the way up.

foszoe

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Jun 2, 2011
    jamil is well known to hate anything to do with volcanism, or the beach for that matter because of all of that sand... Especially sand, it's coarse and rough and irritating and it gets everywhere.

And I always thought Jamil would have been a huge Spock fan...had that Beastie boys song in 45 in repeat mode on his turntable and everything!

Dirtebiker

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    49   0   0
    Feb 13, 2011
    Greenwood
    Zion, Arches, Bryce Canyon. We did that tour last summer and it was great. Flew into Vegas and drove into Utah.
    How many days would you recommend for southern Utah? I’m having a hard time deciding how to split our time between there and Yellowstone. Doesn’t look like we’ll make it down to South Dakota.

tmschuller

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    41   0   0
    Feb 25, 2013
    Grant county
    Bryce Canyon.. lake Powell.. lake Meade many places that are incredible to hike. I spent 10 days hiking around southern Utah, New Mexico.. 4 corners area. Can’t wait to go back

BugI02

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 4, 2013
    Columbus, OH
    Wow, is the view from the dining room really that awesome? We might have to stop there on the way up.

The one pic is the view from the foyer/attrium, but I think the views have been shopped a little bit. Those views are definitely out there but they don't fill the windows field of view like that. IIRC there are two restaurants and at least one lounge off of that area. We ate in the less formal restaurant which had a side and parking area view I believe. You are free to walk the grounds to around the lodge, also.

This is a screen shot of a google map "street view" from just in front of the lodge. It has been converted to .jpg

View attachment 69398

BugI02

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 4, 2013
    Columbus, OH
    The mountains are about six miles away, on the other side of Jackson Lake, which you can see a bit of near top left. On the way to Yellowstone (since we stayed in Jackson) we always drove through Grand Teton and it is always gorgeous. We would have to stop numerous times for photos because the light and the sky change continuously and it becomes a whole new scene. Took easily twice as long to drive in with all the stops and in my opinion it is a bit more photogenic than YS

Hohn

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 5, 2012
    USA
    Crazy Horse was a disappointment to me as well. I doubt they will ever finish it (at least not in my lifetime). Didn't like Deadwood either, thought we were going to an old west town, but it was mostly a gampling center. Even had slots machines in a women's clothing boutique!

When I was a kid it was just a crime scene (chalk outline) so I guess it's a lot of progress compared to that.

Hohn

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 5, 2012
    USA
    I'll stick up for Jamil at least on the beach-hating part. And I'm only slightly less on the crowd-hating scale than he is.

My dream vacation NEVER involves the beach. OR crowds.

Dirtebiker

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    49   0   0
    Feb 13, 2011
    Greenwood
    The mountains are about six miles away, on the other side of Jackson Lake, which you can see a bit of near top left. On the way to Yellowstone (since we stayed in Jackson) we always drove through Grand Teton and it is always gorgeous. We would have to stop numerous times for photos because the light and the sky change continuously and it becomes a whole new scene. Took easily twice as long to drive in with all the stops and in my opinion it is a bit more photogenic than YS
    If I stopped as much as I wanted to take pictures, I’d never finish a vacation.... hey, I think I’ve got a plan:@ya:

two70

Master
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Feb 5, 2016
    Johnson
    To the OP, if you can find available lodging in the park that fits your budget, I would highly recommend staying in the park. My wife and I stayed in Cody and Dubois and the drive in every day ate up a lot of time. Also, I would highly encourage you to get an early start in the park every day as most people don't seem to start moving around in the park until 10 AM or later and you can see a lot before the crowds wake up. Wildlife viewing is also typically better early and late in the day. The Asian tourists can be a pain to deal with, ie. crowds, poor driving, obliviousness but they also tend to get a late start and we mostly only dealt with the crowds around the thermal features. The bison herds are cool to see the first few times but after being stuck in a few bison jams caused by people gawking it gets old quick.

Other things to do in the area include the Cody Center of the West in Cody which also includes the National Firearms Museum, The Tetons(great views) and the National Museum of Wildlife Art in Jackson Hole. All are worth a visit if you have the time.

Too bad...Kauai was great...and had the beach to myself!

Yes, if a person finds a beach too crowded then they either went at the wrong time of year or didn't do enough research before they picked a beach. My wife and I frequently have had beaches completely to ourselves in Florida and Texas after Labor Day. You might see a few people on the weekends but at that time of year, which is a really nice time to be on the beach, you will rarely see anyone else through the week. In Texas you can simply drive an extra mile or two down the beach and be away from everyone.

Super Bee

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Nov 2, 2011
    Fort Wayne
    How many days would you recommend for southern Utah? I’m having a hard time deciding how to split our time between there and Yellowstone. Doesn’t look like we’ll make it down to South Dakota.

We spent a day in each park and we had enough time. We did not do a lot of hiking as my daughter was nine last year and some of the trails can be a bit much for kids. Plus, it was 115 degrees, so a bit warm. If you plan on doing quite a bit of hiking you may need more time. They are beautiful just to drive through with plenty of places to pull off to get those scenic pictures.

Cozy439

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Oct 3, 2009
    Milan Center
    We spent a day in each park and we had enough time. We did not do a lot of hiking as my daughter was nine last year and some of the trails can be a bit much for kids. Plus, it was 115 degrees, so a bit warm. If you plan on doing quite a bit of hiking you may need more time. They are beautiful just to drive through with plenty of places to pull off to get those scenic pictures.
    Super Bee said a lot of what I was thinking as I read your OP. We have gone out West annually for about 17-18 yrs. Been to all almost every place you listed, loved them all. More often than not, if we go some place once, we return 1-2 yrs later to do the stuff we wish we had more time for the 1st time. Yellowstone is awesome, and a tourist trap. We been there twice with kids, once taking my folks and once as a cpl. We beat the crowd by getting in the park as the sun comes up - you see the animals before the heat and beat the crowds. It gets stupid crowded by 2-3pm in the summer and we are back at cabin, motel or bar to unwind having seen +8 hrs worth already. Yellowstone needs 1-2 days minimum to see it all from the road and the walking to a few geysers; even more days are needed to see/do more. Utah's only flaw is the distance between Parks. We hit Arches at sun up - saw it all, walked to trails (not all of them) and were out well before lunch. Bryce Canyon can also be done in a day if you do not walk all the trails. If you do walk all the trails, you will be rewarded with stunning scenery. Other parks in Utah are more drive/thru friendly. We missed Zion to spend more time at the Grand Canyon (North Rim) because that scenery was too cool to leave, but want to go to Zion sometime soon. Glacier has incredible views and a ton of trails to hike. It took us 2 trips there to see the Going-to-the-Sun road because our first trip was 4 days after they got hit with a 3 foot June snowfall. Black Hills does not have as high of mountains, or as deep of valleys, as some of the other Parks but it too is lovely. Been there many times, usually the North end out of Deadwood, Lead & Spearfish. This year we went to Custer/Hill City/Keystone/Rapid City/Mt Rushmore. Found enough stuff to do there we will go back again in the future. You and your family have to decide what the goal is - to see it all as they drive by or to get out and walk/hike/horse-back/ATV. Best horse rides we have had were near Deadwood, or North of Yellowstone in Gardiner. Had Awesome ATV/UTV ride outside Bryce Canyon. Hiking trails are great in ALL the location. Seeing wildlife is always good (early AM especially) in Yellowstone and Black Hills. We have been to some of these places enough to find the places to eat/drink. Hit me up for a rundown if you want local flair over chain restaurants. In short, you will not go wrong with any of your options. Poll the family to see what they want to accomplish, seeing it all, or doing a lot in a few places. No matter what, if like us, you all will want to go back again & again and see more. Additionally, I have hunted near Sundance Wyoming/Devils Tower and we are got drawn again for this fall. Will be back there for Deer and Antelope season. All pix are too big to fit here. Message me to have some forwarded if interested

red_zr24x4

UA#190
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Mar 14, 2009
    Walkerton
    I'm glad we went to Mt Rushmore when we went to SD shooting prairie dogs. but I don't think I would plan a trip out there just to see it.
    I wish we would have stopped at crazy horse and deadwood

Top Bottom