• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Txlur

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    36   0   0
    Aug 17, 2011
    NWI
    .. Which do you prefer? Why? I'm ready to move up to a nicer fixed, and I may not have time to handle both in the next foreseeable future. I know that I picked both up at a local gun show @ Brad's booth, but can't remember which I liked better.

ryan3030

Master
    Rating - 100%
    94   0   0
    Dec 2, 2010
    Indy
    The 5 is like a fat little tank...when I had one I found it to be in that middle ground between a conveniently sized fixed blade, and a big chopper. It was a little over-sized for the smaller, more agile tasks, and a little undersized to be good at chopping or batoning wood.

I'd probably get the 6 if I were doing it over again.

100Xkid

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 4, 2011
    kokomo area
    I would have to say i like my esee 5 . It is on my go bag unless i am hunting and then it is on my belt. I still want a Randall 14 attack but dont have the $$$$$$ to do it. My wife will want my head on a pike when i do order mine! lol
    The esee knifes are all great and do as advertised.

TAT7

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Aug 27, 2012
    Indianapolis
    I prefer the 5, it has the weight that nicer to have in larger knives, but small enough to wear hiking or camping without noticing it. The 5 is my walking in the woods or camping knife (although I usually bring more than just one knife lol)

jimd46902

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 25, 2009
    Kokomo
    I like bigger knives but in all honesty, I usually don't use the extra lenght, I tend to used the tip to the rounded belly and the back of the edge near the handle mostly... the rest is just there. I would go the 5 inch for ease of carrying but that is just me.

Pale Rider

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    43   0   0
    Apr 12, 2009
    Too Close to Home
    My vote is for the 6... had a five but it's just to dang heavy to carry around especially on a long trek etc. Not much the 6 wont do that the 5 will unless you're can opening a car maybe?

Faine

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Feb 2, 2012
    Indy (South Side)
    I had a chance to handle both thanks to the Knife Lady who is the only lady I'll ever buy a knife from. I found that the ESEE 5 while very durable felt really clumsy to me due to the weight. When I handled the ESEE 6 it felt like an extension of my arm. Every knife and every person is different so you'll have to make your own choice, but that's what happened to me. Also worth pointing out, if you're going out and "planning" on chopping saplings and spliting wood, get a hatchet if you really want to do this with a knife, get the 5.

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 8, 2013
    Ohio
    .. Which do you prefer? Why? I'm ready to move up to a nicer fixed, and I may not have time to handle both in the next foreseeable future. I know that I picked both up at a local gun show @ Brad's booth, but can't remember which I liked better.

Hello Txlur,

What I prefer may not be what you prefer because we may have totally different uses for the knife.

What you need to do is decide what the MAIN purpose of the knife will be. The ESEE 5 was designed as a downed pilots survival knife while the ESEE 6 is more of a general purpose outdoor knife.

If the knife will get very hard use such as batoning through gnarly oak or chopping through large animal bones, I would suggest the 5. If you want a general purpose large outdoor knife, the 6 will probably be the better choice. It can baton wood, be used as a camp kitchen knife, break down large animal carcases etc. The grinds are very different. The 5 has a saber grind which leaves a lot of metal in the blade especially since it is 1/4" thick already. The 6 has a full flat grind which makes it an better slicer. You may need to consider weight as well if you are going to be carrying it a lot. The 5 weighs 16 ounces while the 6 weighs 11.8 ounces.

Both knives would serve your needs but if I were you, I would stop & think about what you want the knife to do for you. Then, base your decision on which features of the two knives best suit your needs.

I hope this helps!

Firefighter56

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 10, 2013
    East Central Indiana
    I have a few of each. I have used one of my 5's batoning wood so much it wore the coating off the middle so I etched the logo's and stripped the rest of it. However I carry one of my 6's in a custom made kydex piggypack sheath with an Izula as a hiking/camp knife combo. The 5 is heavy and is almost impossible to break. I have done a lot of heavy work with the 6 too though and it hasn't complained one bit. Both are razor sharp too and are equally easy to sharpen.

As mentioned above you will have to decide what the purpose of the knife will be since they fill different roles. They can be used interchangably but each will have different areas that they excel at.

grunt soldier

Master
    Rating - 100%
    71   0   0
    May 20, 2009
    hamilton county
    with out a doubt the 6. I would take it any day of the week over almost any other esee offering. it's a great do all knife. not to small but big enough to handle your chores or survival situation. the 5 IMO is just a bit to fat to be that all around blade (and I may not know much but I have had every esee knife and then some) the six will treat you right for sure.

tradertator

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    128   0   0
    Jul 1, 2008
    Greene County
    Definitely the 6 for me. I don't foresee breaking the blade unless your batoning it through a fuselage of a downed 747 or prying up a concrete block wall :laugh:. The full flat grind makes a much nicer edge, and the finger choil helps with smaller task.

Txlur

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    36   0   0
    Aug 17, 2011
    NWI
    I went with the laser strike. The 6 would have been my second, but seemed almost a touch too large, and the 5 was a beast, maybe a bit too much blade. I felt the LS grip was more ergo for me and had more options. Thanks guys, and sorry I held up traffic for so long!

buckstopshere

Master
    Rating - 100%
    93   0   0
    Jan 18, 2010
    Greenwood
    I went with the laser strike. The 6 would have been my second, but seemed almost a touch too large, and the 5 was a beast, maybe a bit too much blade. I felt the LS grip was more ergo for me and had more options. Thanks guys, and sorry I held up traffic for so long!

Good choice. I just picked up a LS myself. The 6 has always been my woods knife for day hikes and such. Think the LS is gonna fill that spot now.

Not sure where the 6 will play now but I'm sure ill find something for it to do :D

Top Bottom