• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Delmar

Master
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jun 2, 2009
    Goshen IN
    Is not the past a good predictor of the future? Has not the repube party establishment fought to keep out true conservatives in favor of their pro establishment candidates? Dan Coates and Arlen Spectre are the first 2 to come to mind. The establishment will fight you tooth and nail against reforming their party from within.

I can vote for who I damn well please. Cry all you want about how my vote for Vogel cost Walorski the election. It won't change my mind.
    You can vote for anyone you want, but did you really want Vogel over Walorski?

01deuce

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Apr 8, 2009
    walkerton
    And yet they ran a good enough campaign to pee in your pool? You're contradicting yourself.

Again, you assume that, forsaking an LP option, they would necessarily join your side, and I've been at pains to explain why this isn't necessarily so.

They ran a good enough campaign?

With Donnelly's and the Dems money helping them!

Fletch

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 19, 2008
    Oklahoma
    They ran a good enough campaign?

With Donnelly's and the Dems money helping them!
    And yet if the Republican had been an energizing candidate and gotten more of their party members fired up about going to the polls, none of it would matter. It says something when the margin of victory is razor-thin, even though the opposing party is hated and reviled and being swept out of office nationwide by generous margins in race after race. It says either that Republican was a stinker of a candidate or the Democrat wasn't all that bad or both. In Oklahoma, our smallest margin of victory for the House was 25,000 votes, and that was the one race that a Democrat won -- and as I've already stated, Dan Boren is a pretty darn good Republican for being a Democrat.

Each candidate got the votes they attracted. If the Republican had been more attractive to voters, they'd be going to Washington next year instead of crying into their beer.

Last edited:

photoshooter

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jul 6, 2009
    Indianapolis
    Jackie W was NOT a stinker of a candidate.

She was a firebrand outspoken conservative - perhaps a bit too religious right for my tastes - but what the R party needs to be on Constitution and Liberty issues for right now.

She was running in the 2nd worst heck-hole in our state for sending Dems/Progressives. The majority of the voters in that district are in soon-to-be-former-speaker-of-the-Indiana-House B. Patrick Bauer's back yard. Plus you have Notre Dame (liberal academia) and a few other small colleges around (most of them are full of libs).

It's a testament that Jackie got that close. Polls showed her farther down most of the season.

Fletch

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 19, 2008
    Oklahoma
    Jackie W was NOT a stinker of a candidate.

She was a firebrand outspoken conservative - perhaps a bit too religious right for my tastes - but what the R party needs to be on Constitution and Liberty issues for right now.

Then she should run again in 2012, and use the next 2 years to build her political machine. In a hostile environment like the one you describe, the machine needs to be overwhelming, not merely "just enough to win".

firefighterjohn

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 31, 2010
    The few times I've seriously considered running for office, ...

I did run twice some years back for township advisory board. They took top 3 out of 4...yep finished 4th both times. Part of the reason "I heard" was that I wasn't FROM here...nope, wasn't born and inbred...LOL

It was neat seeing my name on the ballot however.

At several parades this year, Donnelly was walking through the participant lineup and shook everyone's hand. He thanked our guys for their time and dedication. Maybe that convinced some people even with his pelosi-filled record. Never saw Walorski do that at any parade...

SemperFiUSMC

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 23, 2009
    Then she should run again in 2012, and use the next 2 years to build her political machine. In a hostile environment like the one you describe, the machine needs to be overwhelming, not merely "just enough to win".

Donnelly will also be spending the next two years enlarging his machine. The Dems want a repeat of 1948.

Truth be told there was no long term benefit to a Walorski win, which is why she didn't get the support she should have from the national party. The seat is a democrat seat. Had she won she wasn't going to change the free cheeseburger political leaning of the district. She would have been a place holder until the voters were no longer pissed off at the Dumbocraps.

That's not to say it wouldn't have been nice to see her elected. But in all I don't think it's a game changer one way or the other.

Fletch

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 19, 2008
    Oklahoma
    Truth be told there was no long term benefit to a Walorski win, which is why she didn't get the support she should have from the national party. The seat is a democrat seat. Had she won she wasn't going to change the free cheeseburger political leaning of the district. She would have been a place holder until the voters were no longer pissed off at the Dumbocraps.

That's not to say it wouldn't have been nice to see her elected. But in all I don't think it's a game changer one way or the other.
    Somebody rep this post, because I can't.

Farmritch

Expert
    Rating - 83.3%
    5   1   0
    Apr 2, 2008
    OC
    I was loking at an ad in the mail yesterday from Vogel,
    on it it said paid for by the democratic party
    Another Bamboozle by them to distract the voters.

Phil502

Master
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Sep 4, 2008
    NW Indiana
    And yet if the Republican had been an energizing candidate and gotten more of their party members fired up about going to the polls, none of it would matter. It says something when the margin of victory is razor-thin, even though the opposing party is hated and reviled and being swept out of office nationwide by generous margins in race after race. It says either that Republican was a stinker of a candidate or the Democrat wasn't all that bad or both. In Oklahoma, our smallest margin of victory for the House was 25,000 votes, and that was the one race that a Democrat won -- and as I've already stated, Dan Boren is a pretty darn good Republican for being a Democrat.

Each candidate got the votes they attracted. If the Republican had been more attractive to voters, they'd be going to Washington next year instead of crying into their beer.

It's all relative, WTF does it matter what happened in Oklahoma, that doesn't mean anything here. Maybe the Libertarian candidate should have fired up their base and went to Washington, I find that to be a ridiculous argument under the circumstances. No ,it wasn't a game changer and yes you can vote for whoever you want...and I can still say you're wrong as can you say to me. There's no proof either way who is actually right. My gut feeling as well as a lot of others is that the L candidate probably had more conservative voters in that specific group. Can you prove either way, where on the scale, Democrat VS Republican, that those L voters lean toward.

Fletch

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 19, 2008
    Oklahoma
    It's all relative, WTF does it matter what happened in Oklahoma, that doesn't mean anything here. Maybe the Libertarian candidate should have fired up their base and went to Washington, I find that to be a ridiculous argument under the circumstances. No ,it wasn't a game changer and yes you can vote for whoever you want...and I can still say you're wrong as can you say to me. There's no proof either way who is actually right. My gut feeling as well as a lot of others is that the L candidate probably had more conservative voters in that specific group. Can you prove either way, where on the scale, Democrat VS Republican, that those L voters lean toward.
    True enough, our theses are at odds with one another. I'm even willing to concede that it is likely a fair number of them would have voted with the Republicans. Neither of us knows how many, or if it would have been enough, but it's one thing to say that it's likely the LP cost the R's the election. It's quite another to treat us like errant house slaves who should be driven to fits of orgasmic pleasure at the thought of following orders from Those Who Know Better.

Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Dec 17, 2009
    Tampa, FL
    One last comment on this.

Ron Paul figured out in 1996 that the way to be a libertarian and to actually win elections is to drop the "libertarian" label and run as a decentralized Republican.

Because of this Ron Paul won elections and because of this week's GOP sweep, Ron Paul will now be in charge of the Federal Reserve Oversight Committee where he will be empowered to effect real libertarian change. This is what you libertarians just don't get. You distract enough votes away from libertarian republicans to keep liberal democrats empowered when you could be working with people who will help empower your ideals without your label and can effect the actual change that you say you want to have.

Ron Paul, one of the most famous icons of Libertarianism, figured this out 15 years ago. What the ---- is taking you so long?

Delmar

Master
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jun 2, 2009
    Goshen IN

Ron Paul figured out in 1996 that the way to be a libertarian and to actually win elections is to drop the "libertarian" label and run as a decentralized Republican.

Because of this Ron Paul won elections and because of this week's GOP sweep, Ron Paul will now be in charge of the Federal Reserve Oversight Committee where he will be empowered to effect real libertarian change. This is what you libertarians just don't get. You distract enough votes away from libertarian republicans to keep liberal democrats empowered when you could be working with people who will help empower your ideals without your label and can effect the actual change that you say you want to have.

Ron Paul, one of the most famous icons of Libertarianism, figured this out 15 years ago. What the ---- is taking you so long?
    Anybody who votes straight ticket, Whether it be for the big two, or a third party, has his head in the sand.

RichardR

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 21, 2010
    Anybody who votes straight ticket, Whether it be for the big two, or a third party, has his head in the sand.

And I think that anyone who votes 3 party or democrat, even for "blue dog democrats" helps put people like Pelosi & Reid in leadership positions & helps put people like Sotomayor & Kagan on the Supreme Court.

Bill of Rights

Cogito, ergo porto.
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Apr 26, 2008
    Where's the bacon?

Probably the same thing that's taking you so long to figure out that posting as you do is more likely to anger the very people you want to win to your cause. I am a libertarian. Many of the people here on INGO who are also libertarians see that Jackie Walorski would have been the better option. I made it clear, if you look back, that I would have voted for her and quite a few others did also.

While you're holding onto all that anger at libertarians, though, make sure you share it equally with the Republicans who didn't come out to vote, with the political watchers who told people to vote for Donnelly instead of Jackie. If you vote straight ticket Republican and think we should also, I hope you'll be understanding when Lugar is voted back in in two years that it is as much your fault as it was four years ago when he got into office and willing to accept the blame that is due you. If he's running again, I sincerely hope that there's a Libertarian running, because I see no reason at this point in time that I would vote for anyone else... and I will do so unapologetically.

Blessings,
    Bill

Top Bottom