• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • MrsGungho

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 18, 2008
    East Side
    Friday night the hubby and I were downtown celebrating a birthday. We had dinner reservations and had decided that we wanted to walk around for a bit so we went early. As we walked around downtown a clean cut, nice dressed man approached us, talked about where he was from, why he was in town etc. We weren't worried so we talked with him. The conversation went from one thing to another, first He was from South Bend and I am from Plymouth
    Guy "Plymouth cheated in '82!" and we both laughed, hubby didn't know what he was talking about. we talked about the basketball game then the players, I mentioned growing up with Scott Skiles, he went to school at Michigan with him. All good conversation, nothing ringing any bells.

So he finally gets to what he really needs, he has locked his keys in his car, police won't unlock it since there isn't a child in there, call a lock smith. He says he is $13 short for the lock smith. If we can give him the money now, he will mail it back to us. I have no cash as I had switched to a smaller purse and had the bare minimum. Hubby digs his wallet out and has $13 and gladly gives it to him. He then hands me a piece of paper and says "Who and where do I send this to?" I write down the business address as I have nothing shipped to our home anymore. Good habit to be in in my opinion. Guy goes on his way and as he leaves he sends a "God Bless You" our way and runs back to his car, I assume since we didn't stick around to see where he went.

After the encounter a few things ran through my head about what he could have really been up to. Get money, I'll mail it back, get an address and go rob the place because he knows we are downtown and not at home. :dunno:

So what are your thoughts? If we do get the money back I will update to that fact. Just wanted to throw this possible scam out there as I didn't think about it until after I had given him an address to send the money back to. If it wasn't habit for me to give out the business address, would I have come home to an empty home?

sepe

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 15, 2010
    Accra, Ghana
    I wouldn't trust anyone from South Bend. Or anyone that grew up with Scott Skiles (an aunt of mine graduated in 82 or 83). As far as a scam, not really sure what to think. I probably would have given to him if I had extra on me. Wouldn't have been too sure about giving an address because I don't trust most people.

JetGirl

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    May 7, 2008
    N/E Corner
    I don't know if it was a scam or not, but any time I've ever given money to a stranger, I just consider it a "gift". No harm/no foul. (No address!)

MrsGungho

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 18, 2008
    East Side
    JG, I wasn't concerned about getting the money back, still aren't. If we didn't have it extra we wouldn't have given. He was very insistent about having an address to return it to though. That's part of why my flag went up after I had time to think about it. Like I said though, I did not give my home address, the business wasn't broken into and he was a long way from home. we talked enough either he researched randomly about SB or he really was from there.
    We had a few people stop us and ask for directions that night too, I finally asked hubby if I had 411 on my forehead. :D

JetGirl

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    May 7, 2008
    N/E Corner
    He was very insistent about having an address to return it to though. That's part of why my flag went up

My standard reply to that is; "I don't want you to pay it back. I want you to pay it forward... some day you'll run across someone in need of help."
    If that doesn't satisfy them, I'll say something along the lines of making a donation to Wounded Warrior's program or something....
    I finally asked hubby if I had 411 on my forehead. :D
    That's funny!:D

GBuck

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    55   0   0
    Jul 18, 2011
    Franklin
    I have been downtown and approached with a very similar circumstance. The guy was caliming to be an employee of Purdue (janitorial staff). He said that he was on his way down south to see his ailing mother or daughter, I can't remember which. Then he asked us for money because he locked his keys in his car and was around the same amout off of getting a locksmith. I gave him the money and he was on his way; I did not give my address. I went my way not sure, but not really caring whether or not it was a scam. This was the night of the Elections in '10.

Then, about 2+ months later, I was approached downtown by the same guy. I was with a group of friends, and one of the friends was with me the first time (he is a cop). I let him go through his shpeel as if I didn't recognize him. One of my female friends started to give him money and I stepped in. When I said something my cop buddy started remembering him too. Honestly, it was all I could do not to hit the guy in the face. I told him that he was a credit to his culture and that if he would like to remain unharmed and/or out of jail he should get moving, FAST. It really was remarkable how the story both times was IDENTICAL.

Because of this man, I now don't give ANYONE money downtown. (This of course is not including the man with the sign saying, "Why lie? It's for beer." I always give him a five or ten spot every time I see him.)

For comparison purposes, the man I dealt with was black, about 5'8", skinny and on a small frame. He kept going on about, "please don't judge me by my appearances, I just got off work." (that's how his "janitorial" history came up)

SEIndSAM

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    48   0   0
    May 14, 2011
    Ripley County
    Darn, I was going to start using that line, now you have gone and ruined it for me Greg. I'll have to come up with something new. How else am I gonna get ammo money???:D

Seriously, I have never had anyone approach me for money downtown. I don't know why, but in Indy it just never happens to me. Happened in other places, but never Indy.

Classic

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   1   0
    Aug 28, 2011
    Madison County
    The guy couldn't find a locksmith that would take a credit card?

Exactly!

Panhandling got so bad in Austin TX that LE actually asked people to stop giving money. After that many of the panhandlers moved on. I will not give money any more because every time someone does it encourages more of the same behavior.

Tripp11

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 3, 2010
    Fishers, IN

+1

So, the guy was $13 short with cash, but what about his debit or credit cards? Hell, I don't know anyone who doesn't carry at least one type of credit card, even if they prefer to pay cash for everything.

Plus, I would be curious to hear from an IMPD officer if it is indeed their procedure NOT to unlock a car unless there is a child inside.

rockhopper46038

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    89   0   0
    May 4, 2010
    Fishers
    I think scam, but you dealt with it as well as I would have. I am also a fan of using a business address rather than a home address for the same reason as you. I'm also pretty stingy, so the guy would have to be pretty convincing for me to shell out $13 to him; most likely I wouldn't.

MrsGungho

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 18, 2008
    East Side
    he said he left his plastic at the hotel in Carmel when he came downtown, yes I know sounds shady. He said he brought enough cash for what he needed and left everything else there because he was afraid he'd get robbed. :laugh:

Scutter01

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 21, 2008
    he said he left his plastic at the hotel in Carmel when he came downtown, yes I know sounds shady. He said he brought enough cash for what he needed and left everything else there because he was afraid he'd get robbed. :laugh:

I think you got scammed, but I'm not going to second guess your reaction. I'd say you handled it well, and who knows, maybe you helped a homeless guy get a hot meal.

I get approached with a lot of sob stories. Usually I just want them to get to the point and just ask me for money so I can say "no" and we can both be on our way. I had one guy TWICE give me the same sob story about how he was on a delivery and he was lost, and somehow it eventually got around to his mom needing surgery and he didn't have any gas money to go call his boss who was in India or something. On two separate occasions. On opposite sides of town. For an out-of-towner, he sure got around Indy a bit!

rbrthenderson

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Mar 12, 2010
    The Moon
    For me, it's always a clue when they get very specific in their story. Like they've rehearsed it for awhile.

I was approached at a gas station by a man who told me that he was having radiator hose issues and that he only needed $17 dollars to go down to AutoZone and buy it. He gave me the whole sad face routine and even had a woman and child in the car playing the part as well. Rather than give him money, I offered to have him ride with me down to AutoZone 1 mile down the road (I didn't intend to give him the ride, I just wanted to see his reaction.) He came up with some story about how the part they needed was at a different AutoZone. I told him I couldn't help him and to have a nice night.

I find that they give these stories so many times to so many people that they can't help but sound rehearsed.

1911 DeadHead

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Dec 5, 2011
    NWI/ Crown Point
    I have been downtown and approached with a very similar circumstance. The guy was caliming to be an employee of Purdue (janitorial staff). He said that he was on his way down south to see his ailing mother or daughter, I can't remember which. Then he asked us for money because he locked his keys in his car and was around the same amout off of getting a locksmith. I gave him the money and he was on his way; I did not give my address. I went my way not sure, but not really caring whether or not it was a scam. This was the night of the Elections in '10.

Then, about 2+ months later, I was approached downtown by the same guy. I was with a group of friends, and one of the friends was with me the first time (he is a cop). I let him go through his shpeel as if I didn't recognize him. One of my female friends started to give him money and I stepped in. When I said something my cop buddy started remembering him too. Honestly, it was all I could do not to hit the guy in the face. I told him that he was a credit to his culture and that if he would like to remain unharmed and/or out of jail he should get moving, FAST. It really was remarkable how the story both times was IDENTICAL.

Because of this man, I now don't give ANYONE money downtown. (This of course is not including the man with the sign saying, "Why lie? It's for beer." I always give him a five or ten spot every time I see him.)

For comparison purposes, the man I dealt with was black, about 5'8", skinny and on a small frame. He kept going on about, "please don't judge me by my appearances, I just got off work." (that's how his "janitorial" history came up)

Was it this guy?

Last edited by a moderator:
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Dec 14, 2011
    ECI

Okay, that confirms it you got scammed IMO. At least it was only $13 and glad you were smart enough to not give home address. I know some people who probably would have just rattled off the home address and never thought another thing about it till they came home to an empty house.

MrsGungho

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 18, 2008
    East Side
    I think you got scammed, but I'm not going to second guess your reaction. I'd say you handled it well, and who knows, maybe you helped a homeless guy get a hot meal.

I get approached with a lot of sob stories. Usually I just want them to get to the point and just ask me for money so I can say "no" and we can both be on our way. I had one guy TWICE give me the same sob story about how he was on a delivery and he was lost, and somehow it eventually got around to his mom needing surgery and he didn't have any gas money to go call his boss who was in India or something. On two separate occasions. On opposite sides of town. For an out-of-towner, he sure got around Indy a bit!

scammed for money? probably. Like I have said though we had it and didn't mind.

I guess my whole point here was to point out a potential scam of getting your home address while they know you are out, rob you blind.

I to would be curious to have an LEO say if that is standard to not open the locks unless there is a child in there.

Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Dec 14, 2011
    ECI
    For me, it's always a clue when they get very specific in their story. Like they've rehearsed it for awhile.

I was approached at a gas station by a man who told me that he was having radiator hose issues and that he only needed $17 dollars to go down to AutoZone and buy it. He gave me the whole sad face routine and even had a woman and child in the car playing the part as well. Rather than give him money, I offered to have him ride with me down to AutoZone 1 mile down the road (I didn't intend to give him the ride, I just wanted to see his reaction.) He came up with some story about how the part they needed was at a different AutoZone. I told him I couldn't help him and to have a nice night.

I find that they give these stories so many times to so many people that they can't help but sound rehearsed.

This^^^

I was a coast to coast truck drive and pan handlers are BAD at truckstops. for some reason everyone thinks truck drivers have lots of money. :laugh: That couldn't be farther from the truth in most cases. Anyway when they would give their sob story about not eating for 2 days or whatever I would offer to make them a sandwich from my refrigerator or to buy them a hot meal. They would keep giving excuses as to why they just needed the money and would get the food themselves. Needless to say they would never get the money.

GBuck

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    55   0   0
    Jul 18, 2011
    Franklin
    I to would be curious to have an LEO say if that is standard to not open the locks unless there is a child in there.
    I know a lot of my buddies won't because of liability. The departments have decided it's too high of liability if they screw the locking mechanism up.

Top Bottom