• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • BugI02

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 4, 2013
    Columbus, OH
    Personally, for me, an answer to a question that no one asked.

[FONT=&amp]NRA Life Member[/FONT][FONT=&amp]-- [/FONT][FONT=&amp]GSSF member[/FONT]
    Ruger MK III, M&P & 1911mechanic
    NRA Basic pistol instructor[FONT=&amp] –[/FONT]Certified Glock armorer

You mean like 45GAP?

Que

Meekness ≠ Weakness
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 98%
    48   1   0
    Feb 20, 2009
    Blacksburg
    I like having a variety of calibers, including .40 S&W. I will be able to shoot after the next scare and 9mm and .45 rounds or components can't be found. I've looked into a 1911 in .40, but never moved on it. I decided to go with a CZ.

ViperJock

Master
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Feb 28, 2011
    Fort Wayne-ish
    With 8 shot magazines so available for .45, there is no capacity advantage with the .40 in single stack. Even the double stack only gets you two more rounds. My Para 16.40 is a double stack that runs great, and I like it. That pistol has a full ramp barrel, I do not know if that is why it runs so good.

If I only had .40 S&W and I wanted a 1911, I would definately look into one. The .40 is an ok round, but the .45 acp had a 90 year head start with popularity, hard to beat that.

Some of this is incorrect. The std mag is 9 rounds. Which in some sporting events allows you to start with 9+1. This preventing a reload for a 10 round stage. Giving a slight advantage over the factory .45 with 8+1. This also becomes an issue again for an 18 round stage. (Because of std capacities and revolvers it is not uncommon to have stages in multiples of 10 and 6 especially in IDPA.)

So why not run a 9mm 1911? Steel. Sometimes it doesn't fall fast enough in matches.

Imo the only reason to have a 1911 in .40 is to overcome these two issues or if that is the only caliber you own. Having said that, mine works fine but it likes reloaded ammo that is a hair longer than most factory ammo which I think is an result of flat nosed .40 projectiles and the .45 sized frame that a .40 is built into?

88E30M50

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Dec 29, 2008
    Greenwood, IN
    IDK if I had the money to buy a .40 1911 I would just go for full bore 10mm and then download rounds to .40 parameters for plinking

The only downside of that is that you still will find yourself crawling around chasing that last elusive 10mm case that is down there somewhere. .40 cases are easy to come buy but 10mm cases are not. I hate leaving 10mm brass at the range, but don't care so much if I leave .40 there. I have thousands of .40 cases collected over the years but less than 1000 10mm.

Top Bottom