Thoughts on a basic rimfire bolt action - .17, .22, .22MAG?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • dblagent

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 21, 2008
    Bloomington
    Question for discussion, I have been pondering getting a cheap basic bolt action for plinking and the like and I was wondering mostly about caliber. I currently have a Ruger 10/22 that I love and .22 is sure cheap to shoot. The cost of ammo is a concern as I really like to shoot a lot when I go so that makes me lean towards getting a .22. I also have a suppressor that could be used if I can find someone to thread a barrel for whatever I get. Sounds like fun to me.

Then I also like the thought of the .17HMR, flat and fun to shoot I hear. I do not really hear about people hating the .17, but the ammo seems to be at $12 for 50 rounds, and $12 will get me anywhere from 100 to 500 for the same price in .22. But then I have a more accurate 100 to 150 yard shooter to play with maybe be a better trainer for bigger calibers.

Then I suppose there is .22HMR, longer range and splitting the difference in price between them. Not really looked up the accuracy and range on the Mag as of yet so I need to look more if I head that way.

So far as a rifle I have been looking at a Savage as a nice place in price and all the calibers I'm looking at. Have a decent 4.5 to 14x scope to use as far a glass already. Anyone know about threading a bolt action barrel if I go the .22 router for suppressor use?

Anyway, if anyone has some ideas or Pros and Cons for me I'm happy for the help!

obijohn

Master
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Mar 24, 2008
    Terre Haute
    ...cheap basic bolt action for plinking and the like...

this screams .22lr and the savage is a fine choice. i keep a few of the MKII's around to use when i take the scouts out for a shooting day. good accuracy with stand up pretty well to the abuse.

as to the other rimfire calibers, it depends on what you want to do. the .17hmr is great for poking little holes in things further away, great fun on spent shotgun hulls at 100m. the .17mach2 is a fun little cartridge, also. i don't own a .22mag, but a friend of mine swears by his for general knocking around.

i'd say, get one of each. wth.

as to threading the barrel, the barrel will need to be the proper diameter or a bit larger. if too small it will need to be sleeved prior to threading. fairly straight forward.

you simply cannot have too many .22's, imho.

dblagent

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 21, 2008
    Bloomington
    As much as I like the idea of longer range, the cost of .22 is a major factor to me. Plus it's ammo I have thousands of rounds of already.

I plan on getting a bull barrel model of whatever I get so threading should be no issue, but I do not think the barrel removes easily, so I wonder how the threading on centers would be done? Then I would have a really quiet bolt gun with the suppressor.

rhino

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Indiana
    The best value in bolt action rimfire rifles is CZ.

The most accurate for under a $1000 is probably CZ.

One of the most accurate over that amount (for factory guns) is still probably CZ.

The CZ 452 comes in several varients, one of which will meet your preferences and budget.

NEOCON

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 21, 2008
    Warrick county
    I like the Savage that I have .17HMR the longer range on a calm day is amazing. But on a windy day ot will drive you nuts. The .17mack2 is a nice round it is a necked down .22lr where as the .17HMR is a necked down .22HMR. The .17mach2 ammo is quite a bit cheaper than the .17HMR.
    I have heard several people talking good of the CZ but I have no experience with them. Sounds like it is worth checking out though.

dblagent

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 21, 2008
    Bloomington
    In my looking a CZ 452 sure looks to be a nice choice for playing with real accuracy, which in a bolt gun would be the most fun to me. I appreciate some amazing grouping, I have a nice GM bull on my 10/22 and it shoots amazingly well if I do my part.

Have to check RFC and ask about threading a 452. Some nice walnut escapes from the CZ factory also, with the Savage I'd replace whatever it came with anyway.

singlesix

Grandmaster
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 13, 2008
    Indianapolis, In
    I have a Savage Bolt Action 22lr; at 50 yards you'll put rounds on top of each other. At 100 yards with the cheapest 22 ammo (Remington Thunderbolts) I can hit a clay pigeon all day. You may already know that there is a wide variance in the quality of 22 ammo. The thing about the 22lr is that if you wanted to do some competitive shooting than it opens up more doors than a 17hmr or 22MAG. Rimfire Silhouette and NRA 3-Position Rifle come to mind.

jimbo-indy

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Apr 3, 2008
    N.W. Indy
    +1 on that CZ.
    I've got a CZ453 Varmint: bull barrel and set trigger in 22 LR. Have a similar scope to yours (4.5-14 Burris). Shots very tight groups, better than I can hold, with bulk ammo. Add some Eley match ammo and it really shines. Workmanship is beautiful. It feels like a bigger gun. Recommend buying the factory scope rings when buying the gun. Mount directly to the grooved receiver. Very solid and clean looking. The 453 is the same as the 452 except for the set trigger. With the set trigger, you can use it just like any standard trigger and it is about 2.5 lb. Push the trigger forward till it clicks and the pull is now jsut under 1 lb. The trigger is user adjustable for weight of pull, take up and overtravel. They also make the CZ in .17 too. Can't say enough good about the CZ rifles. If you are going to be in the Indy area some weekend, send me a PM. Maybe we can meet and you can try it out.

dblagent

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 21, 2008
    Bloomington
    Thanks for all the replies, and thanks for the offer jimbo, if I get a chance I might just take you up on that. Or I may just get one anyway, I don't really think I could go wrong.

The model I found last night is a new one with a threaded barrel already, which would save me hassle, money, and time. All good in my book! The barrel is threaded for European suppressors, but I already found a guy on RFC soon to be selling the adapters made for the CZ and they look perfect. 16" is kinda short, but with a suppressor on it it will gain another 6" so that would be about perfect again.

CZ 452 American 16" bbl

There is the one I found, and I did some reading on the 453 also. I have read a few good things good about that type of trigger and think I could use it fine.

I also had not thought about the .22 being better for some competition shooting, that is a plus though I do not do that now I may one day. Think I've settled back on the .22 at this point, and a CZ. Anyone around here handle CZ rifles? If not Whittaker guns in Kentucky seems to have the best prices I've found so far.

jimbo-indy

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Apr 3, 2008
    N.W. Indy
    For the best prices on CZ products go to KS&E in Indy. They are on Pendelton Pike on the east side. They are a little quirky but honest. They can order what you want direct from CZ-USA without going through other distributers. I bought mine there and they gave a discount for cash in lieu of plastic. Don't worry about the short barrel. Mine is a real tack driver. I have a CZ97B (45 auto) pistol too and the quality is there too. CZ's are one of the most popular rifles in Europe and Africa. You will be very happy with CZ. Their 22's are built like their centerfire rifles. They feel like a big rifle, solid and heavy, with machined steel and good walnut.

silfox

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 12, 2008
    Evansville, IN
    The CZ 452 American or Varmint would be a good choice. If you get one, try to get the Triggger Kit, lighter spring and sleeve, and a pair of hex action bolts. Might try Whittaker Guns they have some very good prices.

Richard

epsylum

What's going on up here?
    Emeritus
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 2, 2008
    Indianapolis, IN
    The best value in bolt action rimfire rifles is CZ.

The most accurate for under a $1000 is probably CZ.

One of the most accurate over that amount (for factory guns) is still probably CZ.

The CZ 452 comes in several varients, one of which will meet your preferences and budget.

Having never shot an Anschutz, I will probably have to agree. Actually the most accurate .22 rifle I have ever shot was a Cooper, but that was a $2000 .22lr. Damn nice though.

I was plinking with my dad's CZ 453 Varmint last weekend shooting at and hitting the bullets imbedded in the backstop at Eagle Creek. I basically just shot at the all the shiny copper bits I could see with the 14x scope. Shotgun hulls were too easy at that distance (~60 yards). The left over old binder clips laying around by the backstop were cake also. For a sub $500 .22, that thing shoots friggin GREAT and the single set trigger is just too cool (push it forward till it clicks for a sub 1# trigger pull or leave it alone for a ~4# pull).

Disposable Heart

Grandmaster
    Rating - 99.6%
    246   1   1
    Apr 18, 2008
    Greenfield, IN
    I can vouch for that. Jim had to stop shooting because I was giggling like a little school girl when I was targeting individual pieces of brass at 50 yards with it. Aim, click forward, breath control, light touch, pop, 1 instead of two pieces of brass on backstop. Great fun. Would definitely be a gun to test ammo consistency with!

glock2619

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 8, 2008
    I've got a Savage. I bought it used in like new condition on an impulse from a friend. It's a good shooter but the wind does affect it. So, be warned. I bought it with the foresight of moving back west-making it my closeup prairie dog gun, but you haven't seen wind until you've been back there. So, it wasn't the best choice. But, on a calm day it's a hoot to shoot. Quiet, smooth, snappy little round.

kludge

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Mar 13, 2008
    My Savage Mark II BV shoots 1/3" groups at 50 yards. At our club's 50yd benchrest match I lost to a guy with an Anschutz with an 8oz. trigger by 3 points, but I had twice as many X's. I have to admit he is a much better shooter than I am, but I can't blame the rifle for losing.

FWIW, get a .22 Hornet and reload. $13.43/100

Hornady Rifle Bullets: .22 Caliber (.224)

Sgt 1371

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 17, 2008
    Laporte County
    CZ 452's are among the most popular rifles at our club. A friend turned me on to the 452 about four years ago. He tuned the triggers on all the CZ rifles we shoot, before the 453's with the set triggers were available. I absolutely reccommend the CZ. We shoot 1 1/2" groups from the bench with eley ammunition or the Federal UM1 match ammo with iron sights at 100 yards. Everyone seems amazed at what an inexpensive 22 bolt action rifle can do. We just have fun with them. Competition, hunting, plinking, suppressed, the CZ 452 can meet all your 22 needs.

Top Bottom