• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Warsaw214

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 13, 2013
    Warsaw
    I just ordered a KJW 1911 Hi Capa for getting in quick backyard practice as well as to conserve my reloading supplies until I have enough to get through 2013 season. It arrives Tuesday... KJW is capable of shooting CO2, Green gas and Propane. They even have licensing rights for manufacturing a Les Baer 1911. KJW are metal and heavy blowback for realistic practice at 420fps +... I plan on using biodegradable BB's to eliminate clean up as well. I ordered from Evike for 20% off and $10 extra CO2 mag deal... 3 gas mags and 3 C02 mags for extending life. I'll post first impression feedback later in the week

Last edited:

ironman870

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 3, 2013
    NE
    I've been thinking the same too. Ammo is out there. They are quiet. Plus you can get a nice one for roughly $100.

LoriW

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Aug 13, 2012
    Fishers
    I got my son an air rifle when we were at Cabela's last week. He wanted something he could shoot in the backyard and take to the range when we go. I shot it in the backyard...that gun will nail a bird or something small with no problem. And it was under $100...

Beardown

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 25, 2012
    Southern Indy
    I live in louisiana and these things are taking off. I was at bass pro today and saw three people walk out with rifles in about 20 minutes. I need to start doing my research to see what will be worth my time and money

Warsaw214

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 13, 2013
    Warsaw
    I wanted the flexibility of gas and the realism of CO2. I did my research and wanted something from a specialty shop to go the step up from dry fire. Did some research... I also purchased a propane adapter and silicone oil (RC shock Oil, Watch Oil 10wt or 20wt) to keep internals lubed when using propane to avoid green gas cost. Planning on using CO2 as well, but C02 has no lubrication so use a dab of Crosman Pellgunoil on top of C02 cylinder before mounting.

Tombs

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 13, 2011
    Martinsville
    They've actually got them up to .50 caliber and big game hunt with them.

http://youtu.be/fj5Aq7bz-tI

All good and fine... I've seen far more powerful than that even.

The problem comes in when you have to deal with charging them up. You aren't talking about a red ryder BB gun lol.

I think they're highly impractical and only a means of getting around firearms laws in countries that have castrated their population. But...:twocents:

Warsaw214

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 13, 2013
    Warsaw
    Another consideration... If you decide to use gas magazines, you can refill small Coleman propane canisters yourself using an adapter to a 20lb standard gas grill tank. You can get them at ACE, Harbor Freight, etc. Too achieve the best fill, chill canister in the freezer first to re-liquefy vapor residual in canister to maximize available fill volume.

Warsaw214

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 13, 2013
    Warsaw
    Think about how many propane trips to the store you save as well, personal time, convenience factor, when calculated your refill savings...

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    We have a Gamo that rocks out with .177 pellets. Buy the right ones and it will take down a possum. The trigger sucks but practice makes perfect.

Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Jun 29, 2009
    the kitchen
    I keep up my rifle skills up in the yard with an air rifle.
    Many moons ago, I had a pump.
    About a decade ago I bought a spring gun. Gamo Hunter 440 in .177 that handles like a typical hunting rifle. It has taken a handfull of squirrles and hundereds of starlings and house sparrows.
    My next air gun will be a PCP in .22. As mentioned earlier here, they take some serious cash to get into once you add up all the accessories needed to charge them, but they are crazy accurate and very stealthy.

SOme wil scoff at the air gun as a cheap alternative to shooting firearms, I absoultely disagree.

Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Jun 29, 2009
    the kitchen

Slash

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 23, 2012
    My friend at work who is an oldtimer is buying one. He has tested them and thinks that at 40 yds they are just as acurate as a 22 if not more acurate.

2cool9031

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    43   0   0
    Mar 4, 2009
    NWI
    I have been into regular guns and airguns for years. This is my latest...The Benjamin Marauder .25 cal PCP with 6x-24 scope

picture.php

ScouT6a

Master
    Rating - 92.9%
    13   1   0
    Mar 11, 2013
    I have a Gamo Big Cat, .22 caliber that shoots 950 fps with alloy pellets. On small game this thing is big medicine. Rabbits routinely fall to mine at 35-40 yards. With minimal recoil and noise, nice trigger, a good scope and decent pellets these things are deadly accurate and loads of fun. $8-9 for 250 pellets is pretty darned good compared to $8 for a box of 50 .22 LR right now. Kind of like having grandpa's single shot .22 rifle when I was growing up, they make you slow down and make your shots count too. These air rifles today are definitely not the Red Rider that you grew up with.

LeftEyeBill

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 3, 2013
    Grant Co.
    I fell in love with air rifles and pistols when I was very young and still have a soft spot for them. Days at the shooting range with center fire rifles, and pistols, or even rim fire are great. But, I can still have nearly as big a grin on my face just plinking in the backyard with the air guns. Many a rodent and pest bird have fell to my air guns...

glockmeister

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 6, 2009
    Indy Northside
    Kinda odd this topic has come up. I've been thinking the same thing as far as the cheap target practice is concerned.
    I just bought a Air venturi Bronco, and a Crosman Optimus. I also bought a couple thousand rounds of ammo for about 30 bucks. Since I can't get to the range that often, and I also don't want to shoot up my ammo stash, the airguns will help keep my shooting mechanics fresh. hard to beat really....;)

GARY T

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 18, 2012
    GREENWOOD IN
    They aren't banned yet but the air rifles are regulated if over 12lb of energy you need to get a firearm certificate i do believe .an as one poster said they do make them with fine furniture.Evanix makes a couple that are full auto with pellets 10 an 12 shots but they cost 1800 +thats just for the gun.

BIGKAT iscorrect about the UK:). The rifle in my avatar is a British BSA .25 Lonestar. It would require a permit there since it puts out 55 FPE. The GH was taken at 48 yards one shot to the head:ar15:It has recorded 7 GH kills and bunches of coons and country rats.

Dead nuts accurate out past 80 plus yards.:patriot:

Top Bottom