• ...and so much more!
  • BE Mike

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Jul 23, 2008
    New Albany
    Some of us Hoosiers are way ahead of you in the air gun department. The more serious ones shoot precision rifle and pistol indoors from about October thru March. It is a great way to hone marksmanship fundamentals that cross over to cartridge or muzzle loading firearms.

fwb601Morini.jpg

LeftEyeBill

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 3, 2013
    Grant Co.

I've been a member of the GTA airgun forum for quite some time. I've read some really great stories about modifying a Crosman 1377/PC77, they are like the 1022's of the pneumatic air pistol world. :) I think in some ways due probably to political/social pressure air guns are more popular all around the world then firearms are. Some of these people spend thousands of dollars for specialized, and high power air guns. It's not just a cheap firearm alternative to them.

Cole46845

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 12, 2012
    My friend and his brother started a company that makes full auto pellet guns. They are not a toy. Look it up air ordinance is company and the weapon is smg22 I think. Watch the videos. It's Tippmann family who created it if anyone is familiar with Fort Wayne area and paint balling

Nodnarb

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 1, 2013
    Muncie
    I have a Gamo springer, a Crosman pump pistol with detachable shoulder stock, and a Crosman revolver. All three are a lot of fun and pellets are cheap. Its nice to be able to put a few hundred rounds through them and only be out $3-5. With very close supervision I've been introducing my son to guns and proper safety.

Leo

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Mar 3, 2011
    Lafayette, IN
    Nice airguns Mike. I just rebuild my FWB 150, (the fixed stock version of a 300S). I darn near cut my trigger finger off when the spring unloaded As I was reassembling it. It does still shoot great even with my finger full of stitches.

A quality air gun will make you a better shooter of gunpowder arms. The slower projectile speed DEMANDS you to have proper follow through. I wish I could get enough interest in Lafayette to put together a winter league for at least 10 meter offhand, if not position smallbore.

danmdevries

Master
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Apr 28, 2009
    Top Left Corner
    I've managed 4 groundhogs, 6 raccoons, 4 possums, countless squirrels and many many pest birds. I have a spring piston break barrel gamo whisper. They claim its q
    Quiet, its about as loud as 60gr subsonic. 22.

I keep looking at airguns more and more. Used to shoot critters with .22 but someone bought the property behind me so I no longer have 1.5mi of dead space.

Sniper 79

Master
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Oct 7, 2012
    I have actually left the house to go and buy one and just couldnt do it. The quality scares me. The ones I have bought I wore out. I cant cut loose that much money for a darn air powered gun when for the same money I can buy a real high powered rifle with.

WhitleyStu

Keep'em Scary Sharp!!!
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Feb 11, 2009
    Whitley County/Allen County
    Steyr LP10 .177 pistol and Steyr LG110HP .22 rifle with Hawke 8-32x56 scope. I ordered the rifle with extra long barrel and air tube. Been shooting in postal matches for several years and love it. The LG110HP is by far more accurate than any "powder burner" .22 I have owned.
    steyrrifleandpistol003.jpg

danmdevries

Master
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Apr 28, 2009
    Top Left Corner
    I have actually left the house to go and buy one and just couldnt do it. The quality scares me. The ones I have bought I wore out. I cant cut loose that much money for a darn air powered gun when for the same money I can buy a real high powered rifle with.

I got my Gamo Whisper from Cabelas for about 150 if I remember correctly. Then used a coupon and card points, paid about $75 out of pocket. It's not a high end airgun but it gets the job done. It's on sale now.

I argued the same as you prior to buying mine. The thing that sealed the deal was that someone bought the property behind mine and I could no longer safely shoot a .22lr off my back porch. I've got a couple acres unincorporated but I'm in the middle of town, small area here that's still unincorporated. There was a lot behind mine that was heavily wooded, almost impassable and apparently it went up for tax sale a couple years ago as the estate of the deceased prior owners abandoned it. According to Google Earth measurements I had about 1.5 miles from my back porch until the property line of the next lot, and another 800ft to a barn. But, someone bought the land and cleared it.

Since i could no longer safely shoot a powder cartridge, I bought the airgun for pest control and fun shooting. It's almost as fun as shooting subsonic 22's but since it's a break barrel, I get bored quickly. I've been looking at other airguns that are manual repeaters but the price is hard to swallow. But considering I can shoot it on my own land safely, I may bite eventually.

If you've got the land to shoot a plinking round, I can't see the justification of an airgun unless you're really enthusiastic about airguns in general. But in my case, the airgun fits very well. Correct me if I'm wrong but I doubt there's many airguns that are dangerous beyond 200yd and 200yds from my back porch is passing through 150yds of thick woods that a projectile would need a lot of luck to find its way without hitting trees and brush.

They aren't for everybody, but when they fit your application, they're perfect and a great alternative to .22lr

LeftEyeBill

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 3, 2013
    Grant Co.
    These aren't your average Walmart/Cabela's airguns that some people shoot.

Daystate Ltd World Class Airguns

Airgun hunting for Rabbits at night seems to be popular in Britain. They seem to use night vision scope setups and suppressors on their PCP (pre charged Pneumatic) air rifles. Youtube has a bunch of videos showing it.

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ymCPSzb0mFo[/ame]

2cool9031

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    43   0   0
    Mar 4, 2009
    NWI
    Here is a good place to start Bemjamin Discovery in .22 cal. It shoots the 14.3 gr Benjamin .22caliber pellets at 843 fps with 23 ftlbs of muzzle energy.

BJ-BP1K77GP_lg.jpg

Last edited:

BE Mike

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Jul 23, 2008
    New Albany
    Don't let the prejudice hold you back. Once you invest in a quality air gun and give it a good few outings, you won't have buyer's remorse.

Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Dec 14, 2011
    ECI
    Don't let the prejudice hold you back. Once you invest in a quality air gun and give it a good few outings, you won't have buyer's remorse.

My question is how to determime the distinction between not quality and quality for someone who doesn't know much about them?

Leo

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Mar 3, 2011
    Lafayette, IN

+1

You only buy it once, and then enjoy it whenever you want it. Every 5 years or so put a seal kit in it.

What are you going to do, leave your savings in the bank for the Government to rob through currency devaluation?

2cool9031

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    43   0   0
    Mar 4, 2009
    NWI
    mqdefault.jpg
    For those of you that think an air rifle can't get the job done. There is a video on you tube of a 100lb hog taken with a .25 cal Benjamin Marauder.

BE Mike

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Jul 23, 2008
    New Albany
    My question is how to determime the distinction between not quality and quality for someone who doesn't know much about them?
    Like any gun, you have to know for what purpose you will use it and whether or not you want a rifle or pistol. Your budget is a factor, as well. I know some of the big names for international match shooting, but there are other popular names for Field Target and small game hunting, as well as, big game hunting. Basically, the options are spring guns, single-stroke pneumatic, multiple stroke pneumatic, CO2 and pre-compressed air. This website can help you get started: American Airguns Main

Top Bottom