• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Lupin3rd

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 8, 2012
    Indianapolis
    When I started reloading, I did it to save a few bucks. As I got more and more into it, I realized a bigger reason: more flexibility with your ammo than with factory ammo. I've experimented with different bullet weights but swaging would allow me to experiment with custom shapes, jacketing, etc. What are everyone's thoughts on the topic, is it worth it or is it too time consuming/expensive to buy into? Anyone have experience with swaging and have good or bad experiences/stories to share?

noylj

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 8, 2011
    It is much more involved that casting.
    You have to buy lead wire for the core and jacket material. You have to have a very strong press to swage. Go to Corbin for source of supplies and information.
    Some people use .22lr cases to make 45-50gn .224" bullets. Some people use old cases to make a bullet jacket.
    I suspect the attraction is NOT saving money but the pleasure of making very unique bullets. Simply compare the cost of commercial cast and swaged bullets. You can cast 2-6 bullets at a time with one mold. Every swaged bullet is made one at a time.
    I'll stick to casting my own.

Regnar

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 12, 2010
    Knox
    1.You can use your single stage press to swage.
    2.Cast bullets are limited by velocity/pressure. Great for non-magnum pistol, but not for anything fast. Think rifle.
    3.You can pour your own wire, or just use the proper cast bullet as a core.

Top Bottom