• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Redleg11b

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 3, 2017
    Goshen/Elkhart
    Do any of you use a small capacity centerfire cartridge for small game hunting? Hornets, Fireballs, Bees, Zippers, 9mm, 32S&W or H&R, etc.?

I am thinking of loading up some 38 spcl or reduced 357 Mag, or putting together a H&R 32-20 or even 9mm to launch cast bullets with an intended velocity of just under 1k fps. Aside from making sure I have a good backstop, are there any other considerations to think about? I want something with more energy than a rimfire in the event I have the opportunity at a larger species (coyote, fox, etc.) that is in season, but see most of my hunting this year geared toward rabbit and squirrel. I will also be using a 22 cal springer and a 22LR, however, variety is the spice of life.

The nice thing about the 357 and the 32-20, is that they can also be "turned up" for deer sized animals. I would like an inexpensive reloadable round that is easier to download than the .223 I have. Any other suggestions? Because of the bottleneck, I know that the 32-20 is not suitable for deer except on private land and will limit the distance of an acceptable shot even when hot-rodded.

singlesix

Grandmaster
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 13, 2008
    Indianapolis, In
    Many years ago I knew someone that used downloaded 38 spl for small game, sworn it did less damage than 22lr. The only evidence I saw of this was on block of potting clay. The 22lr produced the typical blowout exit hole while the 38spl bullet remained lodged in the clay.

Mgderf

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    43   0   0
    May 30, 2009
    Lafayette
    There's a bit of discussion over on Castboolits.com about downloading center-fire rounds.
    I was reading one the other day about someone downloading .30-30Winchester to use for squirrel hunting.
    Piqued my interest...

snapping turtle

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 5, 2009
    Madison county
    The 22 hornet most likely has the largest 22/22 mag rimfire replacement following. Maybe the 17 hornet being next in line. Mainly contender users.

most seem to load it just above the 22 mag in power but below the 222. Not 22 LR power or 22 mag power level. Some do load it down. Most seem to hop it up to near max level. Most of these guys have plenty of 22 LR to use for 22 cal shooting. So they like the 22 mag a little hotter then they can get in rimfire.

Lil gun powder was produced for the 22 hornet and the like. The cases can be very brittle. Lil gun has seemed to up the velocity without the pressure and the cases seem to last longer. All this talk of down loading center fire was the rage during the great rimfire shortage. I don't believe they were using lil gun powder in the reduced loads. More to max the round out without brass issues.

Browning made a micro abolt rifle that my friend has. He loves it. The 22 hornet and 22 mag seem to be the perfect fox rounds. The contender sold a ton of 22 hornet barrels.

bwframe

Loneranger
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    93   0   0
    Feb 11, 2008
    Btown Rural
    I loaded a couple mags of 120gr .357 "bunny loads" to tote around with my 190gr hard cast buffalo bore style bambi thumpers in the 77/357. Haven't had the oportunity to put either on game.

Bigtanker

Cuddles
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Aug 21, 2012
    Osceola
    A 38 with a full wadcutter can be very accurate. Maybe a lever 357 or a bolt action 357 would be a good choice.

FWIW, I used a 9mm on a coon this summer with great results. My FIL is thinking about a Hi-Point carbine in 9mm with a decent optic for varmint control.

Redleg11b

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 3, 2017
    Goshen/Elkhart
    I am not that interested in hotrodding much of anything I get. I already have a warm load for the .357 for larger stuff (1750 fps from a rifle). I am primarily looking for inexpensive to reload and easy to get a barrel blank to stub in the H&R. I like the option of being able to push it, but most likely will not. I am not aware of reduced velocity load data for the 9mm, but it would definitely be cheap to reload (especially since I already have several hundred rounds of cleaned range brass). The bullets for the .312 and .358 in cast variety are about the same price, and still less expensive than .224 jacketed suitable for the Hornets. This is why I am leaning more toward the 32-20, or maybe a 32 H&R. Heck, Midway even has some .257 cast for pretty cheap, but it is a much more odd caliber to find an inexpensive blank for and would require forming brass for the 25-20.

Freekforge, I would have no problems doing headshots on squirrel, just not without them sitting dead center of a large tree to catch what comes out the other side of their noggin.

Top Bottom