• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • BigRed3588

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Dec 4, 2013
    Boynton Beach
    Before getting into the topic at hand, I want to provide some background for those who suggest alternatives.

Without going into too much detail, I have logical reason to believe my home is at an elevated risk for a home invasion. Restraining orders are in place and my fiancé’s whereabouts are protected by state law, so we’ve done everything we can from a legal standpoint. Naturally, I’ve taken steps to prepare the home but I’ve yet to solve the dilemma of putting a more effective home defense weapon within reach in our bedroom. The main issues are that we have small children, and the layout of my home isn’t ideal for a long-barreled weapon. I’ve been trying to find a lockable case that would allow me to store my SBR (300 BLK) without breaking it down, but still be discrete enough for me to carry to/from my car without attracting attention. I’ve checked Pelican, Case Club, Plano, etc. and everything that would fit the bill pretty much screams “firearm.” Then, about a week ago, I came across the CMMG Dissent.

I’m not particularly interested in a 6.5” 5.56x45, but the 300 BLK and 5.7x28 options have caught my eye. I’ve looked into the ballistics, and both calibers offer ammunition choices that produce results I would consider satisfactory out of a 6.5” barrel while limiting over-penetration. Furthermore, I already own firearms chambered in both calibers and (luckily) stockpiled ammunition prior to the pandemic. Finally, both options come in at 15”, which solves my storage/transport dilemma.

So, that being said, what are your thoughts on CMMG’s factory firearms, the Dissent in particular, or viable alternatives?

DadSmith

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 21, 2018
    Ripley County
    I'll just say do some research on them. Do a search on CMMG problems before buying.
    That way you can make an educated evaluation of the firearm you are about to purchase.
    I've done it for years, ever since Century sold me a lemon and I got stuck with it. I now check out what problems the firearm I'm interested in are having, and then decide if it's worth getting.

BigRed3588

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Dec 4, 2013
    Boynton Beach
    I'll just say do some research on them. Do a search on CMMG problems before buying.
    That way you can make an educated evaluation of the firearm you are about to purchase.
    I've done it for years, ever since Century sold me a lemon and I got stuck with it. I now check out what problems the firearm I'm interested in are having, and then decide if it's worth getting.
    That’s usually my approach but it’s kind of difficult to do any preliminary research with the Dissent. The gun hasn’t come out yet, so it will be a while before there’s enough of a sample size to make an informed decision. The action is proprietary and basically looks like a shortened BCG was attached to a PS90 guide rod assembly. The 300 BLK is DI while the 5.7x28 is their radial delayed blowback system, which is also proprietary. The radial delayed system was used in the Banshee and seems to have positive reviews, but I’m hesitant to spend what they’re asking for a system without a track record.

On the other hand, I’ve used CMMG parts and can’t say I’ve ever been disappointed. I don’t want to hold out pending data and watch an already-expensive firearm skyrocket in price if it lives up to its billing.

Cavman

Master
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Mar 2, 2009
    Just watching honeat outlaw review it seems positive. But like you dropping that much money id be hesitant without a 100% reliability

Karl-just-Karl

Retired
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 5, 2014
    NE
    I'll chime in, but I accept that my experience might not be typical.

I will no longer do business with CMMG despite their positive reputation. My personal experience with two of their firearms has left me wanting. Both have gone back to CMMG. One went back twice. In both experiences their first response was to blame the end user (me). In both cases they failed to resolve the issue to my satisfaction despite me performing testing for them, with my ammo, at my cost. I gave up when they started requesting that I shoot high-speed slow-motion video of me shooting the gun to diagnose a feed issue.

On the second return trip, they assured me my problem was with my Glock magazines, so I sent them all seven of them. They promised to replace all of them. They replaced three. Of the four original mags returned to me was one I had marked as being the most problematic. Replacing the mags did not solve the issue anyway, so take that however you will.

Their packaging of the firearm for their shipment to me was lacking to say the least. Despite my concern being expressed to their customer service representative about the previous experience, they failed to use the packing materials I provided despite them using the same box. In short the question is, if they saved the box why couldn't they save the bubble wrap in the box to re-wrap the gun when they returned it? It was returned without ANY packaging material (not even the original plastic bag around the gun) and the firearm was loose inside the box suffering some cosmetic damage during shipping.

In shipping they are dishonest. Flat out. Only reluctantly, on the first return trip, did they abide by UPS shipping policies in shipping my pistol. Both times for shipment to me they did NOT follow pistol shipping guidelines and shipped it as a rifle.

Granted, I left out a lot of details about what was actually wrong with their guns but I felt what I presented was more indicative of their character.

If you do business with them and get a good one, great, good for you. I hope it serves you well for a long time. They will never see a penny of my money again.

indysims

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   1
    Aug 31, 2011
    I’ve been trying to find a lockable case that would allow me to store my SBR (300 BLK) without breaking it down, but still be discrete enough for me to carry to/from my car without attracting attention.
    Have you considered putting a Law Folder on your SBR (if you don't already). I would think that would decrease the overall footprint and open up some options for a case. There are several backpacks that have locking zippers that can be secured with a small luggage lock. Obviously not Fort Knox level security but enough to keep small kids and honest people out.

I would have trouble, with your level of risk, putting faith in something new to the market, and something that I didn't have XXX number of rounds through it to solidify my faith and familiarity.

Last edited:

ACC

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    134   0   1
    Mar 7, 2012
    N. Side of Indy
    If you check my recent post about 300BLK PDWs, you can see I am also considering the Dissent. There are features on it that I really like. I have been researching it since they announced it. Note* I am not looking for a 5.7x28 gun.

However, after careful consideration, I have decided to go with a Sig Ratter. Here is my rationale:

1. Good enough for US Special Operators = good enough for me.

2. Similar size/weight

3. Proven platform

4. Questions about CMMG as a company

5. IMO...a better looking gun.

Last edited:

nucular

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Dec 17, 2012
    Brownsburg
    What is the benefit you are looking for from a rifle or SBR? Is it better medium/long range ballistics? Seems like a standard shotgun or SBS might be a better solution for home defense.

Karl-just-Karl

Retired
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 5, 2014
    NE
    Lots of options out there. I like the medical case camouflage approach.

One of my favorites from Sweetwater:
    Sig Case.JPG
    You still have to provide and cut your own foam. The outside pouch works great for mags.

mmpsteve

Real CZ's have a long barrel!!
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Nov 14, 2016
    ..... formerly near the Wild Turkey
    I can't speak to the Dissent, but I've had good luck with Banshee's in 9mm and 10mm.

The following is from CMMG's website, and I do like this, very much ...

"CMMG

DISSENT MISSION STATEMENT​

The DISSENT is more than just a product. It is a platform to voice our peaceful opposition to the censorship and infringements that affect law abiding gunowners across America.

The DISSENT is peaceful opposition to big tech unjustly silencing 2A advocates across their platforms, erasing their 1st amendment rights and the idea of democracy in the process.

The DISSENT is peaceful opposition to the leaders that stand idly by as bureaucratic agencies continuously threaten to criminalize law-abiding firearms owners for exercising their constitutional rights.

Most importantly, The DISSENT is a reminder that We the People need to come together and peacefully oppose the ongoing abuses of power.

To help stop the assault on our liberties, CMMG asks that you join us in non-violent and legal opposition by acting now.
    Remember to practice safety and get training on proper firearms handling."

BigRed3588

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Dec 4, 2013
    Boynton Beach
    If you check my recent post about 300BLK PDWs, you can see I am also considering the Dissent. There are features on it that I really like. I have been researching it since they announced it. Note* I am not looking for a 5.7x28 gun.

However, after careful consideration, I have decided to go with a Sig Ratter. Here is my rationale:

1. Good enough for US Special Operators = good enough for me.

2. Similar size/weight

3. Proven platform

4. Questions about CMMG as a company

5. IMO...a better looking gun.
    I’ve considered the Rattler but some of the negatives I’ve read about are deal breakers for me when we’re talking about a $3K rifle.

I’m also a big fan of 5.7x28 as a defense round, so I’m seriously considering that model. I’m thinking it may be a better idea to just SBR my PS90 though. It’ll come in about 4” longer than the Rattler/Dissent but would save me at least a grand.

BigRed3588

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Dec 4, 2013
    Boynton Beach
    What is the benefit you are looking for from a rifle or SBR? Is it better medium/long range ballistics? Seems like a standard shotgun or SBS might be a better solution for home defense.
    The guy is a convicted felon, but I know which guns his mother held onto while he was locked up. Ballistics are certainly part of my decision, but capacity is equally as important, if not moreso.

BigRed3588

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Dec 4, 2013
    Boynton Beach
    Have you considered putting a Law Folder on your SBR (if you don't already). I would think that would decrease the overall footprint and open up some options for a case. There are several backpacks that have locking zippers that can be secured with a small luggage lock. Obviously not Fort Knox level security but enough to keep small kids and honest people out.

I would have trouble, with your level of risk, putting faith in something new to the market, and something that I didn't have XXX number of rounds through it to solidify my faith and familiarity.
    I’ve considered the law folder, but I run a JP silent captured spring system which requires a $100 conversion kit to work with the folder. Between that and the folder itself, it would cost me about $400 to make the switch. Going back to a standard spring/buffer would obviously save some money, but I generally shoot suppressed and really like the JP system for that purpose. I’m also not a big fan of outfitting my home/personal defense weapons with additional or aftermarket parts that are vital to the firearms operation.

DadSmith

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 21, 2018
    Ripley County
    That’s usually my approach but it’s kind of difficult to do any preliminary research with the Dissent. The gun hasn’t come out yet, so it will be a while before there’s enough of a sample size to make an informed decision. The action is proprietary and basically looks like a shortened BCG was attached to a PS90 guide rod assembly. The 300 BLK is DI while the 5.7x28 is their radial delayed blowback system, which is also proprietary. The radial delayed system was used in the Banshee and seems to have positive reviews, but I’m hesitant to spend what they’re asking for a system without a track record.

On the other hand, I’ve used CMMG parts and can’t say I’ve ever been disappointed. I don’t want to hold out pending data and watch an already-expensive firearm skyrocket in price if it lives up to its billing.
    I've used their gas blocks, and lower parts kits - FCG in several builds with no problems. I've never actually bought a complete CMMG though.

DadSmith

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 21, 2018
    Ripley County
    Lots of options out there. I like the medical case camouflage approach.

One of my favorites from Sweetwater:
    View attachment 207749
    You still have to provide and cut your own foam. The outside pouch works great for mags.
    That's a great idea.
    I've been trying to find something padded for my micro AR-15 I have a Swampfox Blade 1x25mm Prism sight on it.
    What are the internal dimensions?

Last edited:

Karl-just-Karl

Retired
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 5, 2014
    NE
    That's a great idea.
    I've been trying to find something padded for my micro AR-15 I have a Swampfox Blade 1x25mm Prism sight on it.
    What are the internal dimensions?
    I don't have them right off hand, but I can get them for you tomorrow.

I used to carry an 8" MPX with collapsible brace and Eotech in it with an inch or so on either end...before the boating accident. ;)

Top Bottom