• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • JNG

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 23, 2009
    After the last couple hard winters and the spring flooding, I would have expected deer numbers to be down this fall. But anecdotally, I'm seeing a lot as I drive around and a lot of good sign in the woods. Anyone have thoughts or data on what the population will look like?

MRP2003

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 50%
    1   1   0
    Aug 16, 2011
    Greenwood
    Seeing the same as I normally see but I have only been out to a small pc of land that I hunt. The landowner has told me that they have not seen as many does as they normally see.

KJW

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jan 31, 2010
    Lamb's Crossing
    I am in Wayne county and live in the woods on 160 acres surrounded by large farms and woods, all spectacular habitat. Two years ago and earlier I would see deer along my 1/2 mile driveway 1 in 3 trips in or out. The past couple of years I've seen many fewer. I can drive in and out a dozen times and not see a deer. General activity on my property suggests to me at least a couple years of decreasing population.

mom45

Momerator
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 10, 2013
    NW of Sunshine
    We are seeing more than we did last year, but are seeing all small deer. There are a few does that are mature, all of the deer we have been watching in our yard this year have been smaller than we are used to seeing. The does seemed to drop fawns late this year with several being born in mid to late July. I just ordered beef for the freezer as we haven't seen anything here that we are willing to shoot for processing.

17 squirrel

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    May 15, 2013
    We're not thrilled with what we are seeing. Probably won't take any does off the farm again this year.

Wow, is this a farm with production ? That's interesting with that much property so few doe's.
    I guess I mean is there plenty of late fall and winter salad bars for the wildlife to eat available ?

Bfish

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Feb 24, 2013
    The number of deer I am seeing is down compared to usual. I used to see many does and bucks. Now I seem to see only does and if I do see a buck or two it's always the same deer. There just don't seem to be the same amount around this year, this is just based on the number I'm seeing with my eyes and nothing more. Sightings aren't as common. Used to they were constantly in the back yard multiple times a week and lately it's been maybe a few times a month or even less frequent.
    I plant several food plots in different varieties and while a lot is being eaten I don't see them on camera either.

I had some nice young bucks running around, solid 8's and a 10, but the neighbor/his grandson kill usually one each every year and never let them grow. Sucks but there isn't much you can do. So long as they doing that I'll just shoot some females and not have any hopes and seeing some big racks anytime soon. It's a somewhat sore subject for several reasons so I digress... The last couple of years I've needed to clean out some does honestly and didn't need the meat. I'll see what I think this year based on the cameras. I am planning on taking something this year but we will see!

MRP2003

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 50%
    1   1   0
    Aug 16, 2011
    Greenwood
    Was out the last two mornings. Saw several bucks in the fields driving in and nothing both mornings. Very odd I thought but I believe that once the fields are harvested, in a week or two the doe will return to their normal routes and the bucks will either go back to their normal routines or start the pre rut activities.

I have seen a lot of rubs this year. Hoping to start seeing the scraps starting in a couple of weeks.

ghitch75

livin' in the sticks
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    117   0   0
    Dec 21, 2009
    Greene County
    i'm 4 miles from Crane fence and the deer are very few and far between.......i have lived out here for 20 years and this is the worst i have ever seen it.......everyday would normally see 10 to 25 deer now you are lucky to see one!!!!!

it is going to get worse as when they open section 4 of I69 south the rest will get killed!!!!!.......it will be tough for them to make a come back with the dumbass interstate 1/2 mile away!!!!!

flightsimmer

Master
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 27, 2008
    S.E. Indy
    I haven't been seeing any that have been hit on the Interstate for quite some time now which is a good thing.
    I haven't even seen any in the fields in the evening while I'm driving which is kind of odd I think.

phylodog

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    59   0   0
    Mar 7, 2008
    Arcadia
    Wow, is this a farm with production ? That's interesting with that much property so few doe's.
    I guess I mean is there plenty of late fall and winter salad bars for the wildlife to eat available ?

I'm guessing 500 acres or so of corn, beans and winter wheat rotated through six fields, 300 acres of pasture and 200 of woods. We've got a 3/4 acre food plot that doesn't draw them in heavy until mid to late December so I'm guessing food isn't in short supply.

It's in a pretty heavily hunted area. Opening day of gun season sounds like the south side of Chicago on a July Saturday night.

ghuns

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 22, 2011
    On our 180 acres last year, from opening day of gun season until late doe season, we saw exactly zero does. Several small bucks, a couple big-uns, but yeah, ZERO does.

So far this year, on casual walks, mushroom hunting outings and just driving around, still holding at zero.:dunno:

I dumped an entire tractor loader full of yellow delicious apples in various spots around the farm about a month ago, they have barely been touched.

JNG

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 23, 2009
    Looking like we're hitting the October lull around here. In a week or so, I expect we'll all get a better sense of the numbers. Luck to everyone.

natdscott

User Unknown
    Trainer Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jul 20, 2015
    It looks just fine around here. Same as always.

Incidentally, all the local deer hunters still sound worried. Same as always.

-Nate

roscott

Master
    Rating - 97.5%
    39   1   0
    Mar 1, 2009
    Still a little early to make a call, but I have seen pretty good numbers. Lots of little yearlings, which is supposed to be a sign that it's been a good year, or so I've heard.

I shot a nice button buck, and had an incredible 12+ buck give me a nice broadside at 75 yards. Wait until gun season buddy!!

Top Bottom