• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Hdfb03

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Jan 13, 2013
    Indianapolis, IN
    I have been kicking around the idea of picking up a Glock 21. (I know stock is limited right now.)

Can anyone give me their thoughts on these? I already have a Springfield 1911 Range Officer, I really love that firearm. I just want something else also. I would really like to stick to .45acp, thats what drew me to the 21.

Pros? Cons?

Thanks for the help everyone!

rlynch25

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Aug 11, 2009
    South East Indy
    Personally I really like my G21. Handles the .45acp round very nicely. The balance is good, recoil very reasonable, and very accurate. Easy, fun to shoot. Also makes a great gun for Bowling pins.

Kirk Freeman

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Mar 9, 2008
    Lafayette, Indiana
    Glockzilla?

Have you shot one? Big, thick pistols.

Pro:

1. It is a Glock. Since Glocks and AKs will be the only gun available when the giant rats and shooting it out with the giant cockroaches post-apocolypse Earth, it will be around a while.

2. Easy to strip and work on.

3. Big grip allows recoil to be to spread out.

4. If you have hands like Michael Jordan (google his hands, amazing, his hands are bigger than his feet, no really) or ATM (think gibbon), stock and mag size is great.

Con:

1. Pistol is thick, harder to conceal, correct holster will solve this.

2. Thick stocks mean harder for small or normal sized hands to manipulate.

3. Double stock mags are harder for smaller paws.

4. Glock has a squishy trigger, coming from 1911 will be adjustment but you can do it.

5. Mags are harder to carry as they are thicker.

All weapons have pros and cons. It is a matter of picking one and training with it. Good luck, fellow INGOer.:ingo:

Hdfb03

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Jan 13, 2013
    Indianapolis, IN
    Glockzilla?

Have you shot one? Big, thick pistols.

Pro:

1. It is a Glock. Since Glocks and AKs will be the only gun available when the giant rats and shooting it out with the giant cockroaches post-apocolypse Earth, it will be around a while.

2. Easy to strip and work on.

3. Big grip allows recoil to be to spread out.

4. If you have hands like Michael Jordan (google his hands, amazing, his hands are bigger than his feet, no really) or ATM (think gibbon), stock and mag size is great.

Con:

1. Pistol is thick, harder to conceal, correct holster will solve this.

2. Thick stocks mean harder for small or normal sized hands to manipulate.

3. Double stock mags are harder for smaller paws.

4. Glock has a squishy trigger, coming from 1911 will be adjustment but you can do it.

5. Mags are harder to carry as they are thicker.

All weapons have pros and cons. It is a matter of picking one and training with it. Good luck, fellow INGOer.:ingo:

Yea I do have pretty big hands so that shouldnt be too much of an issue, but you are right I should get somewhere that will let me try one out first. I will probably be carrying my 1911 when I do carry, but for some reason I have just been very intrigued by the Glock 21's lately.

airmotive

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 17, 2008
    If I may summarize Kirk's post:

Pros: It's a Glock.

Cons: It's a Glock.

They have no secrets.
    For ~$500 you can get one in a day or two.
    In a day or two, you can sell one for ~$500.
    What's to lose?
    Buy one. Try it out for 6 months.
    If it's not for you, sell it for what you paid.

Hdfb03

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Jan 13, 2013
    Indianapolis, IN

They have no secrets.
    What's to lose?

Thats something that I'm getting used to in the gun community, things can be bought and sold for generally what you got them for. (provided its in good condition and is a good weapon.) I have heard that even my Range Officer could be sold for near the same amount I purchased it for.

teddy12b

Grandmaster
    Trainer Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    40   0   0
    Nov 25, 2008

They have no secrets.
    What's to lose?

I think this pretty much answers your question. Only thing I can add is that if the grip is too big check out the 21SF model. World of difference in grip size/angle. I had a 20SF for a long time that was great and it's the same size/dimensions as the 21SF.

lovemachine

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Dec 14, 2009
    Indiana
    I had the Glock 21. I liked the feel of it better than the 21SF.

It was a VERY fun gun to shoot. I found it to be pretty accurate. A little large for me to carry.

I ended up selling it to buy another 9mm. I don't regret the decision, and I would buy another Glock 21 again.

wally05

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    42   0   0
    Dec 2, 2008
    Ball State University PD issues G21s and the officers there seem to really like them. The gen4 g21 or g21sf will help a lot with the grip thickness. I've heard awesome things about the 21. I'd get one if I was going to get a full size glock... either that or the 17. I'm considering upping my carry weapon to a 21 gen 4 down the road and leaving the 23 for off duty use. I like full size service pistols.

wally05

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    42   0   0
    Dec 2, 2008
    Oh, a great holster will help offset the size... probably need a decent cant to help hide the grip length. Triggers are good on glocks... nice break with great reset.

indygunguy

Expert
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    110   0   0
    Dec 12, 2010
    NE Side of Indy
    I can't add much that hasn't been said already. If your hand size allows it, they are GREAT guns.

They can be difficult to conceal, because man they are big... but I love mine!

aaron580

Master
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Nov 27, 2012
    Morgan County
    I absolutely love mine. Hands down my favorite glock. Great size, weight, feel, and I can conceal it with a kidney holster pretty easily. Once the pink card comes, it will be the EDC. I know a guy that cc's 2 of them on a daily basis.

cosermann

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Aug 15, 2008
    No complaints about the G21 and I'd say my hands are "average."
    A G30SF (similar frame) is one of my top 2 carry guns (along with the G19).
    I find the "thickness" to be no big deal, and am happy to have the extra capacity of a double-stack .45.

Hdfb03

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Jan 13, 2013
    Indianapolis, IN
    I absolutely love mine. Hands down my favorite glock. Great size, weight, feel, and I can conceal it with a kidney holster pretty easily. Once the pink card comes, it will be the EDC. I know a guy that cc's 2 of them on a daily basis.

HAHA carrying two of them would be awesome!

DustyDawg48

Master
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    May 11, 2010
    Mount Vernon
    I cannot say enough good things about the Glock 21. I've had mine for about 3 years or so and it has been a phenomenal pistol. It is my most trusted and reliable gun I own. I use it for daily carry and for IDPA and it has never let me down. While not an incredibly high round count, I am up towards 7,000 rounds without issue, in fact I am still on all the original springs; the only thing I've added or changed is ammo.

I carry it OWB in a Raven Phantom and while it isn't the easiest to conceal, a good holster goes a long way in helping. Plus, 13+1 of .45 ACP is hard to argue with and worth dressing around if you are able to.

I like the 21 so much I am considering picking up a Gen 4 G21 just because to keep my Gen 3 company... I can't decide if I want that or to hold out until a Gen 4 G19 comes available...either way, the 21 is the first gun that caused me to put down my 1911 that I loved and that said a lot about it.

snowwalker

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Apr 13, 2009
    In the sticks
    I have a 21 2nd generation and a 21sf. I'm a big guy with meathooks for hands. My only issue with Glocks after the second generation is my fingers will not fit in the grooves, I wear a size 15 ring. I conceal carry in a Crossbreed holster just fine.

palerider0485

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    May 7, 2009
    just north of muncie.
    your range officer is going to be a little more accurate, a 21 holds 14 rather then 8 and its more dependable, i really like my 21, i put skate board tape on the grip and a 3.5 conector, really for the money you cant beat a glock,...let me say again a little bit differently,... you can spend twice as much and still not get a better gun.

Top Bottom