• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • U.S. Patriot

Grandmaster
    Rating - 87.5%
    7   1   0
    Jan 30, 2009
    Columbus
    I'm wanting another rifle down the road, shot my Dad's H&R and liked it. Was thinking of one in .223. Priced one today with a heavy barrel, and i got quoted $289. I thought I had decided on a .22MWR, but then more options keep popping up. Just wanting people thoughts on them. Probably will not shoot over 100 yards.

dross

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 27, 2009
    Monument, CO
    I've had several, and I have two now. They can shoot quite accurately, but they are very finicky. If you're shooting within 100 yards, any rifle is accurate. I've shot MOA with all the handi's I've owned.

I keep two now, as the perfect backup hunting rifles. One in 223, one in 308. I had the barrels shortened to 16.5 inches.

Buy one used. For .223, you can get one for less than $200. And nobody shoots a single shot enough to wear it out.

Hondo

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Dec 7, 2009
    Fort Wayne
    Although it is not a rifle I have an H R 20 guage with heavy barrel that is dead nuts on at 100 yds....I bought it for deer hunting and would certainly buy another....great value in my opinion.

jburris

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Oct 21, 2008
    henry county
    I have on in 500 s&w for deer hunting. Bought a used 223 barrel off of graybeardoutdoors.com for $115 shipped to my door. Very little fitting and can swap them out. My 223 I can put 3 through the same hole at 100 yrds with it. Check out his site, there is plenty of info on them there.

firehawk1

Master
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    May 15, 2010
    Between the rock and that hardplace
    I jokingly refer to my H&R as a "poor man's Encore". I have one with a .243, .44 mag, and a 20 ga. slug barrel. It has never failed me, and I prefer a single shot. I despise hunters I hear just spraying lead all over the place.

Are they still hard to get? I was told Remington was having problems with H&R's equipment after they moved it to North Carolina.:dunno:

Cpt Caveman

Master
    Rating - 100%
    57   0   1
    Feb 5, 2009
    Brown County
    Had one in 243 that wouldn't eject federal brass. Sent it to the factory, they test fired it and sent it back, said it was fine. It still wouldn't eject some brass. I couldn't figure out what the difference was that made it wanna hang on to the federal stuff.
    Once the action opened on its own in recoil as well. I sold it . Yes, it was a new gun.

kwatters

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Aug 26, 2009
    Central Indiana
    I have one in .44, bought it the first year we could use them for deer. Works great!
    Unfortunately, all those dead deer cannot testify to its effectiveness.

Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Nov 19, 2009
    Central Indiana
    I have one with a 24" .223 Bull Barrel. Started out with the handi-grip stock and hated it. almost sold the gun - then an INGO'er offered to trade me a standard montecarlo buttstock. Haven't got a lot of trigger time in but it's a good shooter, balances well, and has a crisp trigger. I've been tossing around the idea of getting more barrels for it but I might just go straight for an Encore.

parson

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Nov 1, 2008
    New Castle
    I have two, a .44 mag, and a .357 that I reamed to max. Good rifles.

Sometimes Dick's will have a pretty good price on scoped .223s.

t-bilt

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 6, 2010
    I've got a H&R Handi Rifle ultra comp in .308. Laminated wood and bull barrel. This is one of my favorite deer rifles. It is a true tack driver. Doe head and neck shots out to a 175 yards are chip shots. You can pick eye or just under the ear. It is light weight and compact...just a sweet tool. I did fine it to not like Winchester fail-safe cartridges. It seems to prefer standard or not high end loadings like Core Locks. Also have a 12 gauge with an extra Huntsman .50 cal ML barrel. It is not as accurate but still puts a five shot string in a 1.5" group at 100 yards.

I have two T/C encore's one in 7mm-08 and the other is an Endeavor .50 ML. They shoot no better than the Handi Rifle... I could have bought three or four Handi's for the price of one of the T/C's.

I wouldn't hesitate to recommend the H&R single shots!

rem700

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 11, 2010
    picked one up in .357, like it. kids are shooting it as well and doing well with it. may have a deer gun for the kids :)

planedriver

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Dec 20, 2009
    gone
    My son just bought one in 22-250. After looking it over, noticing that the release sticks if pushed to it's full down position and learning that the reciever won't take the CUP some loads will develop I would opt for something else. The gun just seems like it's destin to be an orphan.

2cool9031

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    43   0   0
    Mar 4, 2009
    NWI
    I'm wanting another rifle down the road, shot my Dad's H&R and liked it. Was thinking of one in .223. Priced one today with a heavy barrel, and i got quoted $289. I thought I had decided on a .22MWR, but then more options keep popping up. Just wanting people thoughts on them. Probably will not shoot over 100 yards.

I have one in .357 and really like it, but if you are going to go with .223 why not buy the Savage Edge bolt action ...it runs for about the same price. I have one of those too and like that one also.

philagothon

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jul 25, 2010
    On the 7th step
    :+1:

For the same money I would likely go for the Edge if you are looking at the 223. I have a Handi-Rifle in 44 mag that I will be trying out for deer this year. So far it has been quite accurate with iron sights, haven't decided on whether or not I'm going to scope it yet.

Disposable Heart

Grandmaster
    Rating - 99.6%
    246   1   1
    Apr 18, 2008
    Greenfield, IN
    I've got a H&R Handi Rifle ultra comp in .308. Laminated wood and bull barrel. This is one of my favorite deer rifles. It is a true tack driver. Doe head and neck shots out to a 175 yards are chip shots. You can pick eye or just under the ear.

Really quick, are you in Indiana? I dont think it is legal to use .308 on deer in Indiana, though I will agree it is more than a good round for deer!

Top Bottom