Thoughts on having to disarm @ a gun show?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • GodFearinGunTotin

Super Moderator
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 22, 2011
    Mitchell
    A month or so ago there was a small time gun show in Bedford. Upon entering there was a sign and the guy at the door said ALL guns had to be unloaded and "disabled". Is this a state law? If not, what are your thoughts on this policy?

I can sort of see why they do it, for safety. But assuming they are the only ones that do it, I won't be back.

Thanks

boosteds13cc

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Mar 5, 2011
    Lowell
    every gun show i have been to (crown point and valpo) thats the same way, i have no problem with it, usually on certain grounds if im not mistaken state fair grounds/county grounds you are not allowed

Scutter01

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 21, 2008
    If they're going to require it, they should provide a safe place to unload, like a sand barrel.

Kirk Freeman

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Mar 9, 2008
    Lafayette, Indiana
    It is not a state law.

The show organizers are catering to the lowest common demoninator. We've had plenty of shootings with the "no guns" rule.

Can you imagine all the shootings that the promoters would be facing allowing people in with loaded guns? Have you seen how they handle "unloaded" guns at the shows now?

Bullfrog80

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Feb 22, 2011
    Terre Haute
    Every show I've been to has had that rule. However, I conceal carry everywhere it isn't a felony including gun shows. If I am trying to find a holster or trade or sell a gun I unload it but my carry piece stays loaded and tucked away... Never had a problem.

GodFearinGunTotin

Super Moderator
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 22, 2011
    Mitchell
    It is not a state law.

The show organizers are catering to the lowest common demoninator. We've had plenty of shootings with the "no guns" rule.

Can you imagine all the shootings that the promoters would be facing allowing people in with loaded guns? Have you seen how they handle "unloaded" guns at the shows now?

Ok. If I'm bringing a gun in to trade-- sure, I can definitely understand. But how about your carry gun? Especially if you have no intention on even drawing or even exposing it unless there's a legitimate need?

Scutter01

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 21, 2008
    Ok. If I'm bringing a gun in to trade-- sure, I can definitely understand. But how about your carry gun? Especially if you have no intention on even drawing or even exposing it unless there's a legitimate need?

There are a LOT of goobers out there who think it's perfectly fine to unholster their loaded pistol to show their buddy/prospective buyer/etc. or to try out a new holster. Hang around one of the tables for a couple of hours and watch people. It's frickin' SCARY how many times you'll get swept.

Kirk Freeman

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Mar 9, 2008
    Lafayette, Indiana

The guns always seem to come out of their holsters for one reason or another. Remember the operational code is lowest common denominator.

"Cledus, let me show you my new pistol gun."

"I needs a hoe-ster to fit this here Hi Point so I ken hides it under my woof shirt."

Lots of people shot with carry guns at gun shows.

How many people swept me at the Indy 1500 last weekend while fingering guns? Dozens maybe, if not more.

More many people were shot at that gun show in Illinois with that unloaded rifles? How many more would be shot if the promoters did not check every pistol, including carry guns? Many.

We've had shootings in gun shows as it is now. Allowing people with loaded guns is begging for injury and lawsuits.

Promoters should provide a sand bag wall or sand barrels for a fiddle area. Parking lots provide no force field.

Woof shirt, best garment for concealment:

40_1293.jpg

GodFearinGunTotin

Super Moderator
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 22, 2011
    Mitchell
    There are a LOT of goobers out there who think it's perfectly fine to unholster their loaded pistol to show their buddy/prospective buyer/etc. or to try out a new holster. Hang around one of the tables for a couple of hours and watch people. It's frickin' SCARY how many times you'll get swept.

Hmmmm.... I guess you've got a point. The way it was handled that day really irritated me, and more I stewed about it, the madder I got.

There's probably an insurance issue for them too-- just thought about that.

Kirk Freeman

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Mar 9, 2008
    Lafayette, Indiana
    Oh, yeah, BIG insurance issue. Cledus or Jasper (in a woof shirt) with a pistol is a foreseeable event.

Anytime you get mad about something, your first thought should be lawyers . . . usually.

Scutter01

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 21, 2008
    Hmmmm.... I guess you've got a point. The way it was handled that day really irritated me, and more I stewed about it, the madder I got.

There's probably an insurance issue for them too-- just thought about that.

I got swept three times by a dealer with a revolver at his own table. He even had his finger on the **** trigger. Was it unloaded? Probably. Would I want to bet my life on it? NO!

Andre46996

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jan 3, 2010
    Hammond
    I got swept three times by a dealer with a revolver at his own table. He even had his finger on the **** trigger. Was it unloaded? Probably. Would I want to bet my life on it? NO!

My thoughts on this are pretty easy to understand..

CONCEALED MEANS CONCEALED!!!

I was right behind a guy (Scutter) at the Muncie gunshow he showed his unloaded weapon and then the cop asked where his mag was and made him empty it. I walked in right past the same cop showed him my cased pistol I was trading to Corey and just nodded my head.

I refuse to disarm so they feel safe. I feel SAFE when I am armed.

There are times and places where deep concealment is needed. Gunshows are one of them.

ElsiePeaRN

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 18, 2011
    Eastern Indiana
    Lots of people shot with carry guns at gun shows.

How many people swept me at the Indy 1500 last weekend while fingering guns? Dozens maybe, if not more.

More many people were shot at that gun show in Illinois with that unloaded rifles? How many more would be shot if the promoters did not check every pistol, including carry guns? Many.

I've always been a little nervous about the idea of going to gun shows becasue of the stories I've read about the negligent shootings. I think of how many people might pull their loaded carry weapon out to try a new holster and...well.. something like this or worse happens:

Man accidentally shoots self at Bass Pro Shop - KFOR

I actually started thinking more positively about going to one when I heard that many require all firearms to be unloaded. Then that unloaded rifle went and shot someone at the Illinois gun show.

I'd happily unload my carry weapon if it means knowing that Cledus and Buford are also unloading theirs :)

and whoa, boy! -- that there woof shirt shore is purty!

GodFearinGunTotin

Super Moderator
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 22, 2011
    Mitchell
    You don't have a Woof Shirt????? OMG!

Dude, you gotta git ya one-a-dem as quik asye kin!!! ;)

OH CRAP! I didn't see that rule on the sites FAQ. I hope you buy them at the Dollar General! I hate getting a dressed up just to go to Walmart.

Compatriot G

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 25, 2010
    New Castle
    I have seen plenty of unsafe gun handling at gun shows. However, I think there is another side to this issue. Look at how crowded most gun shows are. The tables are packed with as many guns as you can get on them. The tables are placed together for maximum capacity. In many cases, there is no safe place to examine a firearm at a gun show. From my experiences, the only way to safely examine a firearm is to leave it on the table and just look at it.

Top Bottom