• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Hookeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Dec 19, 2011
    armpit of the midwest
    I've run Rem 1100's in the hunting fields for decades, and have only had one problem............forgot one was oiled on the magtube a bit much for storage and used some promo dove loads (dirty crap) that gummed it up when it got screamin' hot (was in the upper 90's that day). Normally I was using a Magnum 1100 with a single gas port and low brass trap loads. Disassembly and a quick wipe of my T shirt and it ran fine ( T shirt looked pretty nasty, camo with a black stripe across it :)

My preferred trap gun was my 1100 magnum................flawless with just Remoil wiped off with a paper towel.

I ran two 1100's quite a bit, but have had maybe 6 or 7 others, no problems.

In fact, my HD rigs are an 1100 magnum and an 870 Supermagnum.

And no, I don't subscribe to the silly notion that a pump offers some auditory deterrent. Why would I not have a round ready to go if a threat was near? Wouldn't it be better to know you have a round ready to go and offer some verbal warning (if wanting to give such)?

Last edited:

metaldog

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jul 31, 2013
    Indy
    And no, I don't subscribe to the silly notion that a pump offers some auditory deterrent. Why would I not have a round ready to go if a threat was near? Wouldn't it be better to know you have a round ready to go and offer some verbal warning (if wanting to give such)?

I concur!:yesway:

Mrmonte

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Jan 1, 2009
    Indy South Side
    I have probably short stroked my 870 more than my semi auto Remingtons have jammed over the years. Im comfortable keeping a Rem 1100 in the bedroom as part of my HD plan, hopefully I'll never need it. This 1100 was a $325 beater with a big ding towards the end of the barrel when I got it. You dont need to spend big $$ to have a reliable semi auto shotgun.

attachment.php

Trigger Time

Air guitar master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 98.6%
    204   3   0
    Aug 26, 2011
    SOUTH of Zombie city
    Nothing on this or any other planet makes that incredibly unique sound: the slide action on a pump shotgun. That is pure and simple psychological warfare and there ain't no bad guy who wants to hear that unmistakable sound. That's because the next sound is a very loud BOOM!!
    If the "bad guy" hears the sound of you racking a round into the chamber then you have failed. Your shotgun should be loaded way before that point. Also you just told the guy where you are so he can shoot in that direction if he has a gun.

Trigger Time

Air guitar master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 98.6%
    204   3   0
    Aug 26, 2011
    SOUTH of Zombie city
    I think a Remington 870 is the best home defense shotgun for reliability, affordability, and fit and finish. Most people believe they need a 12 gauge to effectively stop an intruder however a 20 gauge is just as effective in stopping a human threat and it won't beat you up like a 12 so it can effectively by wielded by your wife or a child if say you are incapacitated and the responsibility to stop the threat falls to them.
    so my vote: a 20 gauge 870. 2nd choice: 20 gauge mossy 500

these are just my opinions, I'm not trash talking anyone else's favorite shotgun or load, no children or animals were harmed while typing this post.

bingley

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 11, 2011
    If the "bad guy" hears the sound of you racking a round into the chamber then you have failed. Your shotgun should be loaded way before that point. Also you just told the guy where you are so he can shoot in that direction if he has a gun.

In some way conveying the information to the bad guy that you are armed is a bad thing?! Please do not get into the OC/CC debate in this thread! :laugh:

Trigger Time

Air guitar master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 98.6%
    204   3   0
    Aug 26, 2011
    SOUTH of Zombie city
    In some way conveying the information to the bad guy that you are armed is a bad thing?! Please do not get into the OC/CC debate in this thread! :laugh:
    I don't get into the OC vs CC debate because i support both sides. What I choose out of the 2 is my choice and visa versa and could change situationally.

now back to the shotgun discussion. I don't know of you were being sarcastic and it flew over my head or you were serious? Why would you feel the need to inform the bad guy you are armed by racking your shotgun? Depending on the situation (ie, if I see a gun and feel threatened) i might not say anything before i stop the threat to my life. I am in my own home right?! So no i feel no need to let the bad guy know anything. And in some situations it could put you at a tactical disadvantage.
    i also don't come from the camp of "seek out and destroy the intruder". I will pick a point in my home of no retreat so that I have the advantage and can't be lured into a possible trap by multiple intruders. The police will e on the phone and I will follow their directions when they arrive to make the scene safe by clearing my house and eventually reaching my position. I have nothing to prove anymore, I only have a desire to keep my life and my family members lives. I leave all the movie and "hero" stuff to the younger generation of gun owners.

WestSider

Master
    Rating - 100%
    93   0   0
    Apr 16, 2008
    Putnam County
    Moving around the house with a shotgun may be more difficult than with a pistol, even though, once mounted, an 18" shotgun extends not farther than a pistol.

This is why I like my KSG so much, with the 26.1" overall length, it's quite a bit shorter than me extending a pistol out to a firing position. Untested so far though, just got it a couple weeks ago.

kolob10

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    77   0   0
    Nov 28, 2008
    Beautiful Southern Indiana
    My house gun is an 870 Remington loaded with 6 shot with a 45 acp nearby or on my side. A wise man once said that a pistol was a fine weapon to fight your way to your rifle. That being said, I have kids in the house and over penetration is a concern.

FestusHaggen

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 18, 2013
    great thoughts and ideas, INGO is awesome. No doubt the pump is reliable, it's just not what I'm use to. My thought is in HD there's no time for hesitation or second guessing. What ever the weapon of choice, it needs to feel natural. I guess range time would cure that.

WestSider

Master
    Rating - 100%
    93   0   0
    Apr 16, 2008
    Putnam County
    I have probably short stroked my 870 more than my semi auto Remingtons have jammed over the years. Im comfortable keeping a Rem 1100 in the bedroom as part of my HD plan, hopefully I'll never need it. This 1100 was a $325 beater with a big ding towards the end of the barrel when I got it. You dont need to spend big $$ to have a reliable semi auto shotgun.

attachment.php

Have to say, I love what you did with this, beautiful shotgun!

chezuki

Human
    Rating - 100%
    48   0   0
    Mar 18, 2009
    Behind Bars
    That being said, I have kids in the house and over penetration is a concern.

"Be sure of your target and what is behind it".

There is no firearm/caliber that will stop a threat but not penetrate drywall. If you don't have a safe shot, move and work the angles until you do.

sb0

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    34   0   0
    Aug 1, 2013
    Indy
    I've heard from knowledgeable shotgun shooters (one of which I am not) that while semi autos are more likely to fail mechanically (obviously), pretty much any human under any amount of stress is more likely to short stroke a pump than they are to have their semi auto fail. But this is all dependent on keeping it clean and choosing the proper loads.

You really have to factor in the human element.

It's a close call but for home defense I'd go with the semi myself. JMO.

Hookeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Dec 19, 2011
    armpit of the midwest
    I've heard from knowledgeable shotgun shooters (one of which I am not) that while semi autos are more likely to fail mechanically (obviously), pretty much any human under any amount of stress is more likely to short stroke a pump than they are to have their semi auto fail. But this is all dependent on keeping it clean and choosing the proper loads.

You really have to factor in the human element.

It's a close call but for home defense I'd go with the semi myself. JMO.

I'm just a slob hunter type and have never short stroked any of my 500, 835, BPS or 870's. Geese or doves coming in, jumping rabbits or mowing down running deer ...................it's boom boom boom. Maybe there was a little excitement and no stress? ;)

But, a regular LOP rig fits me well, and even better if I have something thick on.

Also, a semi auto can hose some folks when they have the ejection port near an object (like a door frame or tree). Buddy's dad did that on a deer, shooting from out of ordinary position.

Pump or semi for HD?

How'bout BOTH! :)

bingley

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 11, 2011
    In one gun!!

500px-Franchi12.jpg

Is this an actual pump + semi-auto shotgun? I think I saw an AR + pump shotgun combo on a show. Man, am I ignorant of a lot of firearms out there!

Anyway, one thing to avoid is pistol stock only shotguns. I'd avoid it myself, anyway. I like my shooting wrist, and would like to hold on to it in good condition until I die.

Maybe this whole pump vs. autoloader debate just comes down to the user. The modern pump and autoloaders are reliable enough for HD (as long as you use proper loads for the autoloader). It's down to what you're used to shooting.

WeeJ

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Sep 2, 2012
    Autoloading shotguns are not as reliable as other autoloading firearms in my experience. I attribute this to the non metallic cart cases - sometimes over-flare on firing and jam up the gun. Also, from a safety point of view, a pump can be left with a loaded mag and empty chamber, then brought into action quickly with a pump. Try that on an auto and you'll usually end up with a disabled action.

Shotgun mags don't hold many rounds - your auto is empty quickly if the trigger finger gets a little twitchy. Pump slows you down and gives you time to consider your situation between shots

Then there is the issue of price

bingley

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 11, 2011
    Also, from a safety point of view, a pump can be left with a loaded mag and empty chamber, then brought into action quickly with a pump. Try that on an auto and you'll usually end up with a disabled action.

Usually? Which gun(s) are you talking about? I have never had this happen. I have seen my autoloader malfunction, but never this one. (Of course, there is no "pumping" on an autoloader.)

As for slowing your shooting down, that seems like a disadvantage, rather than an advantage. If you "spray and pray," then the problem is with the shooter, not with the gun.

Top Bottom