• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • WeeJ

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Sep 2, 2012
    Usually? Which gun(s) are you talking about? I have never had this happen. I have seen my autoloader malfunction, but never this one. (Of course, there is no "pumping" on an autoloader.)

As for slowing your shooting down, that seems like a disadvantage, rather than an advantage. If you "spray and pray," then the problem is with the shooter, not with the gun.

I've tried a few semis and they usually malfunction when you try to load the chamber by cycling the bolt. I've tried Rem, Win, Browning, Beretta, and probably a few others I can't think of now. I think there is a good chance that most people would shoot too fast during a stressful encounter.

WeeJ

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Sep 2, 2012
    Yes, it has been many years since I tried it (I no longer own or use a semi) but my recollection is that I have bolt closed, action decocked, load rounds into magazine. Go to load chamber by pulling back on bolt handle and at that point everything gets jammed up. I don't recall if this happed all the time, most of the time, or just some of the time - but it was often enough for me to consider it an unreliable method of loading. The owners manuals usually instruct you to drop the first one in the open ejection port and close the bolt, then load mag (again, just my recollection here - from a long time ago)

My solution was to get a pump, save money, and not have to worry about the issue

roadrunner681

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 2, 2013
    henry county
    I'm just a slob hunter type and have never short stroked any of my 500, 835, BPS or 870's. Geese or doves coming in, jumping rabbits or mowing down running deer ...................it's boom boom boom. Maybe there was a little excitement and no stress? ;)

But, a regular LOP rig fits me well, and even better if I have something thick on.

Also, a semi auto can hose some folks when they have the ejection port near an object (like a door frame or tree). Buddy's dad did that on a deer, shooting from out of ordinary position.

Pump or semi for HD?

How'bout BOTH! :)
    i say i don't ever think ive short suck my 500s ever hunting, and i get buck fever bad so i dont understand this issue, i guess if anybody has a short ducking issue i guess practice more

Buck67

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 26, 2013
    I have an old Browning A-5 Auto in 12 ga. I used to carry it with me when I had an alarm call at my office. This is back when getting a licence to carry a pistol was hard to get. The office was in a bad part of downtown Indianapolis. I would step out of the truck, grab the A-5, push the button on the side and the breech would slam shut with a clang that echoed off the dark and empty street. I always had the "duck plug" out and it was loaded with buckshot. It seemed to be a lot louder than any pump ever was and the sound was unmistakable. A real comforting sound when you are by yourself. I made lots of noise coming in the front door and always hoped that anyone stupid enough to be in the building would be smart enough to run out the back.

To add a vote for the double barreled shotguns. The nice thing about them is that they are easy to see if they are loaded, they are easy to reload and two barrels are scarier than one. If you don't shoot your shotgun regularly and have all the buttons and levers memorized as a matter of second nature; my personal opinion is that the double barrel is a better choice when SHTF.

Buck67

WeeJ

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Sep 2, 2012
    Yes, there are pros and cons to all options. Double is shorter too - for the same barrel length as pump/auto. Only 2 shots could be seen as a little limiting, but hopefully you'd have no more than 2 perps to deal with. There are some robust and cheap doubles - Baikal comes to mind

roadrunner681

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 2, 2013
    henry county
    Yes, there are pros and cons to all options. Double is shorter too - for the same barrel length as pump/auto. Only 2 shots could be seen as a little limiting, but hopefully you'd have no more than 2 perps to deal with. There are some robust and cheap doubles - Baikal comes to mind
    your assuming you wont miss, ya its a shotgun but, they still need aimed

WeeJ

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Sep 2, 2012
    Yes, I think I am assuming that in a defense situation you will (or should be) very close - 10yds max, and probably a lot closer than that. There could be instances where the range would be greater - say if someone was shooting at you when you were in the open with no immediate cover. The shorter length and better fast handling abilities of the double would favor its use in confined spaces (indoors).

bingley

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 11, 2011
    Yes, it has been many years since I tried it (I no longer own or use a semi) but my recollection is that I have bolt closed, action decocked, load rounds into magazine. Go to load chamber by pulling back on bolt handle and at that point everything gets jammed up.

Maybe the old autoloaders have issues. I don't think you'd have problems with more recent ones (I can only speak to Mossberg and Benelli personally). It took a while for semi-auto pistols to develop reliability and gain the trust of shooters. I'd say the same has been going on for semi-auto shotguns.

At the end, whether it's the fanciest shotgun or the oldest side by side, it's down to your training and your preparation with the weapon.

bingley

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 11, 2011
    Like the man says, cheap can be effective. I'll stick with my $200 870 :):

You can plan your defense with whichever gun you want -- as long as you prepare and train with it. I wouldn't use a pump gun, because given the fact that I'm a better shooter with an autoloader and a few other reasons that I won't get into, the cons of a pump gun outweigh the pros. There is no "one size fits all." It's more fit and training, but for some reason people really focus on the equipment, when a number of different platforms can potentially work for your average HD scenario.

But then we already know American gun culture is more about buying guns, less about knowing how to use them well.

WeeJ

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Sep 2, 2012
    This thread has got me thinking. Now that I'm an infirm old codger, there are times (becoming more frequent) when pumping that 870 is a major effort. Perhaps time to reconsider a semiauto.

SSGSAD

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Dec 22, 2009
    Town of 900 miles
    Nothing on this or any other planet makes that incredibly unique sound: the slide action on a pump shotgun. That is pure and simple psychological warfare and there ain't no bad guy who wants to hear that unmistakable sound. That's because the next sound is a very loud BOOM!!
    This is what I was thinking..... I went deer hunting with a couple of friends, and I racked my shotgun... One of the guys said you have a Mossberg don't you, and I said yes, it makes a very distinctive sound, doesn't it .....

WestSider

Master
    Rating - 100%
    93   0   0
    Apr 16, 2008
    Putnam County
    I think people make way too big a deal out of the sound of the pump action scaring away bad guys. Let me put it like this, if someone is desperate or stupid enough to break into your house when they know you are probably home, they have at least thought of the possibility they might get shot at. That scary racking the slide thing just gave away your position and intention.

If you are in a situation where you are bunkered up in your bedroom I guess this isn't as big of a deal but I have family members sleeping on the other side of the house so I don't have that luxury. In my case I want to be as quiet as I can and get the jump on him instead of hoping he has left the premises. Just my 2 cents.

6mm Shoot

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 21, 2012
    For me a person in my house will never hear me rack a 870. I keep it loaded. When the wife and I are on the road I use the 1187 for HD. The wife don't like the 870. As for having problems with the 1187, I have never never never had any problems with it. I have shot clays, rabbits, and tree rats with it. It yet has to fail me in any way.

I do know a guy that uses a 1187 in three gun and loves it. He has it gone over by a smith every other year and it has never let him down. Now he claims he puts 40 rounds a week through it.

If I am shooting clays I will put 80 to 120 rounds through it but that is only about once a year. As of late I don't hunt as much as I did. So I would say that in a years time I might put 200 rounds through my 1187. I have never had to have any work dun on it yet and as I said it has never let me down.

Top Bottom