• ...and so much more!
  • STFU

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Sep 30, 2015
    Hamilton County
    On the P229, just a barrel swap. OEM barrel is fine, no need for a conversion barrel. I bought mine as a .357, bought a .40 barrel, and sold the .357 barrel. Works fine.

^^^Correct.^^^

This is not the case for a conversion to or from 9mm.
    If you want to go to or from 9mm to 40/.357, you must swap slides and springs as well.

Ngale496

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 30, 2018
    Fishers
    the frame on a 229 is different on a 9 versus a 40/357 as the mags are thicker. was looking at a couple today at my LGS.

LCSOSgt11

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 24, 2009
    LaPorte, IN
    I have 20+ years carrying a 229 on duty. We obtained them probably first in the state, as they were marketed initially as being a compact .357 Magnum. I find that they are neither fish nor fowl, a bit small for duty use and too large and bulky for concealed carry. We initially had problems with some of the first run frames cracking. I was a Sig armorer, and after taking apart a few of the pistols, I was not impressed with the stamped sheet metal junk that was contained within the frames.

With that said, as the old adage goes, "gun shoot, gun work." The DA/SA models have consistently atrocious DA initial trigger pulls, which is one reason the DAK came about. I carry a DAK, and I would suggest that if anyone carry any Sig product, to invest in the "short trigger." The stock or standard trigger is a bit too thick and rests too far forward for those with small hands. I would also recommend the E2 grip in order to shave off some of the width of the grip circumference. I will commend Sig on their issue sights. They are light years ahead of any Glock.

I know this sounds like I am bashing the breed. I am not. I merely wish to point out some strength and the weaknesses of the pistol. I would also suggest as far as maintenance, to change the recoil and magazine springs at least every year, depending on the amount of rounds that go through the pistol. And, I would agree the .40 S&W would be a better choice of caliber.

rhino

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Indiana
    I have 20+ years carrying a 229 on duty. We obtained them probably first in the state, as they were marketed initially as being a compact .357 Magnum. I find that they are neither fish nor fowl, a bit small for duty use and too large and bulky for concealed carry. We initially had problems with some of the first run frames cracking. I was a Sig armorer, and after taking apart a few of the pistols, I was not impressed with the stamped sheet metal junk that was contained within the frames.

With that said, as the old adage goes, "gun shoot, gun work." The DA/SA models have consistently atrocious DA initial trigger pulls, which is one reason the DAK came about. I carry a DAK, and I would suggest that if anyone carry any Sig product, to invest in the "short trigger." The stock or standard trigger is a bit too thick and rests too far forward for those with small hands. I would also recommend the E2 grip in order to shave off some of the width of the grip circumference. I will commend Sig on their issue sights. They are light years ahead of any Glock.

I know this sounds like I am bashing the breed. I am not. I merely wish to point out some strength and the weaknesses of the pistol. I would also suggest as far as maintenance, to change the recoil and magazine springs at least every year, depending on the amount of rounds that go through the pistol. And, I would agree the .40 S&W would be a better choice of caliber.

Both of those are must-haves in my opinion, along with an SRT kit if it doesn't have one already.

wtburnette

WT(aF)
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    45   0   0
    Nov 11, 2013
    SW side of Indy
    Both of those are must-haves in my opinion, along with an SRT kit if it doesn't have one already.

I'll echo the SRT kit, it's a must have. The original trigger reset is... not good. The SRT kit makes it much nicer. I haven't tried a Sig with the Short trigger. Gonna have to try that sometime. I just traded for a nickel plated P229 non-railed in .40 and need to get an SRT kit for it and possibly new grips. Haven't tried the E2 grips, but I do like the Hogue extremes that I have on my railed P229. Oh yeah, need another .357 Sig barrel as well ;)

yXqisRHh.jpg

Ngale496

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 30, 2018
    Fishers
    Very nice 229. A note on the E2. they are to thick in my opinion. the G10 grips are thinner. I was not a fan at all of the E2. just to big. I put the Aluminum Sig grips on when available. G10 would be choice 2

BiscuitsandGravy

Future 'shootered'
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Nov 8, 2016
    At the Ranch.
    Thats a nice looking 229 wtburnette... I picked up my 229 .40- years ago from a fellow Ingo'er for $425. Short trigger, SRT kit Sig installed, spare parts, etc. Couldn't pass it up.

The short trigger and SRT on my .40 definitely makes it much more comfortable for ave-smaller hands. (I don't have bear paws.). The 357 bbl was a find at a LGS. $100 OTD. They had it on trade on a complete used 229 40 + 357 bbl.

The triple sn issue I believe was one of those things for folks that were REALLY into their 229's. There is some story about it if you g'fu it. Someone else will know more about it as I got away from being a Sigophant a couple years ago. Other life priorities and all.

LCSOSgt11What didn't you like about the internals of your 229's? Was it fit and finish, failures?

:ingo:

Last edited:

BehindBlueI's

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Oct 3, 2012
    E2 or "legacy" grips is largely a matter of preference and hand size. I have a slight preference for the legacy grips, myself, and have hands that are somewhat larger than average but not monstrously so. For comparison, I use the mid-size backstrap on a Glock.

I like the SRT trigger reset kit, but really didn't see any difference in timed drills with or without one.

rhino

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Indiana
    E2 or "legacy" grips is largely a matter of preference and hand size. I have a slight preference for the legacy grips, myself, and have hands that are somewhat larger than average but not monstrously so. For comparison, I use the mid-size backstrap on a Glock.

I like the SRT trigger reset kit, but really didn't see any difference in timed drills with or without one.

Even Bill Drills?

wtburnette

WT(aF)
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    45   0   0
    Nov 11, 2013
    SW side of Indy
    Very nice 229. A note on the E2. they are to thick in my opinion. the G10 grips are thinner. I was not a fan at all of the E2. just to big. I put the Aluminum Sig grips on when available. G10 would be choice 2

Thats a nice looking 229 wtburnette... I picked up my 229 .40- years ago from a fellow Ingo'er for $425. Short trigger, SRT kit Sig installed, spare parts, etc. Couldn't pass it up.

The short trigger and SRT on my .40 definitely makes it much more comfortable for ave-smaller hands. (I don't have bear paws.). The 357 bbl was a find at a LGS. $100 OTD. They had it on trade on a complete used 229 40 + 357 bbl.

The triple sn issue I believe was one of those things for folks that were REALLY into their 229's. There is some story about it if you g'fu it. Someone else will know more about it as I got away from being a Sigophant a couple years ago. Other life priorities and all.

LCSOSgt11What didn't you like about the internals of your 229's? Was it fit and finish, failures?

:ingo:

Thank you. I saw it in the classifieds and couldn't pass it up. The very nice gentleman I traded with ended up with a nice Sig 1911 that had been to the Sig custom shop for some loving. I've put X-ray sights on it, but haven't done anything else to it yet. Will do more over time, at least an SRT kit and new grips. Possibly a .357 Sig barrel. We'll see.

wtburnette

WT(aF)
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    45   0   0
    Nov 11, 2013
    SW side of Indy

Ugh, hate the quote problem with Chrome on this forum! :xmad:

Anyway, I don't know if the SRT makes the gun better for drills or not, but it's definitely a personal preference. I absolutely hate a long reset on a gun. If it's not short, crisp and tactile, I'm not a fan. The SRT makes the reset perfect IMO.

Amishman44

Master
    Rating - 98%
    49   1   0
    Dec 30, 2009
    Woodburn
    The .357SIG round is a nice round....very accurate...flat trajectory...moderate-felt recoil...and has one heck of a loud 'pop' when you pull the trigger. You'll definitely want to wear both ear plugs and muffs when you cap one of these off indoors!

I grew up on .357 magnum so the .357 SIG round had great appeal to me when first came out...and it was my carry round for 3+ years!

In 2010, however, I made the decision to go back to .45 ACP mainly due to cost of the ammo and availability, which, in 2010, was low in the .357 SIG category.

It's a heck of a round...if you want to pay the costs.

LCSOSgt11

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 24, 2009
    LaPorte, IN
    In response to a couple of queries, I will provide this:

1. After fully disassembling the pistol, I was somewhat surprised at the "cheap" appearance and the nature of the stamped metal parts. It is my own personal belief that parts should be machined, not stamped.

2. All of the frames that our agency has, are of German origin. Original series, and our current batch.

Top Bottom