• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Dmoore

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 11, 2014
    Otisco
    I have had an SKS for about 16 years now. It was one of my first rifles. I don't think I would ever sell it but I am thinking it might be fun to modify it. All the parts have the same serial numbers and it was built in a unknown factory in China. It shoots well and I have taken a few deer with it. Should I leave it alone and start to build an AR or play with it and see how much "gun" I can get out of it.

pudly

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    Nov 12, 2008
    Undisclosed
    Altering an SKS is a personal choice. Like those above, I prefer the original wood, especially if it is in good condition. If you do change it, keep the original parts in case you decide to switch back. You might want to do some reading over at: Survivor's SKS Boards. They can answer any SKS-specific questions.

Slawburger

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 26, 2012
    Almost Southern IN
    I would leave it alone. It seems a shame when someone irreversibly alters a firearm with collector potential. If you had one that was already a hodge-podge of different serial numbers then that might be different. However, your firearm, your choice.

87iroc

Master
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Dec 25, 2012
    Bartholomew County
    I have a SKS. It is my favorite plinker. I have never liked Bubba'd guns and prefer wood. Do what you want....but I would strongly urge you to do nothing that can't be revversed.

K_W

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Aug 14, 2008
    Indy / Carmel
    The only thing I did to mine was replace the free floating firing pin with a spring-loaded Murray's Firing pin to prevent slam-fires.

Bearclaw

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Dec 23, 2012
    Anderson
    I have mine is a SGworks bullpup kit and love it! A buddy of mine did the exact thing after shooting mine and now a local shop keeps building them after seeing ours. Add a great second life to an old rifle and a the beast way to add optics.

CarnageRush

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Feb 28, 2011
    Harrison County
    I have three. I'm a traditionalist so I would never modify mine. At the end of the day, it's your rifle, do as you please. My personal advice is to let it be and start an AR.

Dmoore

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 11, 2014
    Otisco
    Thanks guys! Very helpful. I may go ahead with the firing pin but that will be it. So on to an ar! Where do I start? All suggestions would be helpful.

tradertator

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    128   0   0
    Jul 1, 2008
    Greene County
    ^ Good choice :thumbsup: I've yet to see a bubba'd SKS I liked better than a standard configured one. I don't mind subtle changes like the firing pin already mentioned or the old Chi-Com fixed 20 round mags, but that's about it.

Top Bottom