• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Abominator

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jun 22, 2019
    Auburn
    I used to be scared of steel. My AR runs it well. I have probably 3k steel through it and 4k brass. Still just as accurate as ever and never malfunctions. I would try a couple of boxes before making a big order. My buddies AR hates steel.

GIJEW

Master
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Mar 14, 2009
    If you're shooting a com-block AK with loosey-goosey specs and minute-of-coffee-mug accuracy at 100yds, then yes, run steel ammo. I tried some wolf .223 once and was disgusted.

It was very dirty; the accuracy was mediocre--like 2-3 MOA out of a rifle that could hold subMOA; and it was hot enough that once, the bolt overroad the magazine without stripping a round. That was the only time that happened out of about 6000 rounds. I'm blaming the ammo.

Rating - 100%
    28   0   0
    Oct 3, 2008
    On a hill in Perry C
    If you're shooting a com-block AK with loosey-goosey specs and minute-of-coffee-mug accuracy at 100yds, then yes, run steel ammo. I tried some wolf .223 once and was disgusted.

It was very dirty; the accuracy was mediocre--like 2-3 MOA out of a rifle that could hold subMOA; and it was hot enough that once, the bolt overroad the magazine without stripping a round. That was the only time that happened out of about 6000 rounds. I'm blaming the ammo.

Interesting that you would say it was that hot. All the chrono tests I've seen show it be on the light side. Maybe that round was light enough that the bolt didn't completely cycle, went back far enough to eject the empty but not load the next round?

GIJEW

Master
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Mar 14, 2009
    Interesting that you would say it was that hot. All the chrono tests I've seen show it be on the light side. Maybe that round was light enough that the bolt didn't completely cycle, went back far enough to eject the empty but not load the next round?
    IDK could be QC and that round was an exception?

rjwin1967

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 2, 2008
    I recommend staying away from the Herter's 500 round pack in steel cases. I got some my brother bought some time ago. It won't cycle in an AR15 at all. The loads are very erratic and underpowered. I guess it would work in a bolt action, but I doubt it would have any accuracy at all.

ajeandy

Master
    Rating - 100%
    43   0   0
    Oct 25, 2013
    S. Indianapolis
    Please tell me the part you disagree with. Where did I post anything about storing ammo or say anything about blowing up a rifle? Let me explain my post to you. I said I don't run steel case ammo and I don't like it. I then tried to make a comparison to buying a high horsepower car and running Speedway regular gasoline in it and expect it to run like it was designed to. I don't have a clue what you read.

I only read the comment that I quoted and didn't see your follow-up.

1nderbeard

Master
    Local Business Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    40   0   0
    Apr 3, 2017
    Hendricks County
    you picked a bad time to buy 223 brother. Personally I'd find something else to shoot for a while until the market normalizes.
    I wouldn't have a problem shooting steel in an AR that I didn't spend a lot of money for.
    I think the extremes on both sides in this small sample tell you it's probably not as accurate as nicer stuff, but it's not going to be catastrophic for your rifle. There are many 'scientific' tests of the ammo on youtube, and I think the consensus is the scary stories are mostly myths.

4x4strongman

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Oct 16, 2020
    Indianapolis
    I have actually been on a mission to find and test steel cased in my current "precision" ar, and the only one I have lol. I have plenty of brass 223 and 556, but I've been trying to find people selling or trading steel cased stuff for some of my brass. Been wanting to try out all the major brands and different weights to test the accuracy first hand

DadSmith

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 21, 2018
    Ripley County
    I have actually been on a mission to find and test steel cased in my current "precision" ar, and the only one I have lol. I have plenty of brass 223 and 556, but I've been trying to find people selling or trading steel cased stuff for some of my brass. Been wanting to try out all the major brands and different weights to test the accuracy first hand

I used the Hornady Steel match 75gr until they stopped making it. It ran great in my AR and was 1.25moa. I doubt you will find any Russian made ammo that accurate in steel case.

2A-Hoosier23

ammo fiend
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Sep 16, 2018
    Lawrence
    I used the Hornady Steel match 75gr until they stopped making it. It ran great in my AR and was 1.25moa. I doubt you will find any Russian made ammo that accurate in steel case.

Ok now I'm curious... Is there anything about using steel compared to brass that makes steel-cased ammo inherently less accurate?

Or rather, is it just a correlation between the fact that steel is cheaper than brass and that most steel-cased ammo manufacturers (especially Russian) are trying to produce the cheapest bulk ammo possible, which necessitates cost-saving factors other than the steel casing, including maybe cheaper bullets that are less consistent in shape, variation in powder charges from one round to the next, etc and it's those factors, not the steel casing itself, which lead to steel-cased ammo's reputation?

IUKalash429

Bullet Hose
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    Apr 6, 2019
    Rum Ham
    I've run steel .223 through ARs, bolt guns, and AKs with both proprietary mags and magwells that accept NATO mags - only issue I recall is a bit of stick on one brand new PSA AR, which fixed itself after a few mags of wear and tear.

Old Bear

Greyman Apprentice
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Aug 19, 2016
    Newton County
    Ok now I'm curious... Is there anything about using steel compared to brass that makes steel-cased ammo inherently less accurate?

Or rather, is it just a correlation between the fact that steel is cheaper than brass and that most steel-cased ammo manufacturers (especially Russian) are trying to produce the cheapest bulk ammo possible, which necessitates cost-saving factors other than the steel casing, including maybe cheaper bullets that are less consistent in shape, variation in powder charges from one round to the next, etc and it's those factors, not the steel casing itself, which lead to steel-cased ammo's reputation?

Brass is softer than steel and will "seal" the chamber tighter for more consistent pressure as the bullet travels down the barrel. This "can" translate into more consistent shot placement. Also since the steel doesn't flex as much as brass, it can stick in some rifles with tight chambers. These two factors have some affect on some rifles and not on others.

The biggest problem with being less accurate is exactly what you stated in your last paragraph. While I have notices the steel cased ammo is generally not the most accurate, it is good enough for "minute of man" accuracy out to max effective range of the caliber (at least that is the case with my rifles. YMMV).

Variation in powder charges is my biggest issue with the cheaper steel cased ammo more than accuracy. I prefer a quality brass cased 5.56 for defensive use. But, if that is all you have, even the lightest charged steel cased ammo is lethal inside of 200 meters.

I shoot the crap out of 9mm, .223 and 5.56 for practice and training. I like Tula, Wolf and Red Army the best. Not so much with some of the others.

DadSmith

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 21, 2018
    Ripley County

What bear said. The difference between Hornady steel match is the bulley used. It was their 75gr match bullet. Russian cheap ammo i think is the cheapest made bullet they can produce and push in. Having said that I have used wolf 308 in my bolt 308 it was slightly better than 2 moa. I was consistently Hitting a 12" diamond steel target at 500 yards with it. Maybe that rifle just likes cheap bullets lol. But it loves 175gr SMK that I reload for it.

4x4strongman

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Oct 16, 2020
    Indianapolis
    I have traditionally bought only steel cased stuff. But in the current marketplace and "overall situation", i would say get what you can tbh. I've actually been looking for some steel cased simply to test accuracy through my setup, wanting to try all of the major manufactures and weights. But it seems like theres a good selection of stuff to fill needs. Basic 55gr fmj to 62gr hp (you can get what you can get for just incase), even to tula 75gr fmj for those 1:7. Been wanting to try all these personally.

Top Bottom