Thoughts on the Ruger SR1911 LW? Any reason not to pick one up?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Dewidmt

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Mar 27, 2008
    South of the Muscatatuck
    From what I've read, they used some type of space age super glue to hold the titanium ramp in place. Mine seems to be seamless where it's mated to the aluminum. Time will tell if it stays put! I didn't like the mags mine came with but it ran fine with my Wilson's and Chip McCormick mags, so no worries.

AngryRooster

Master
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Apr 27, 2008
    Outside the coup
    From what I've read, they used some type of space age super glue to hold the titanium ramp in place. Mine seems to be seamless where it's mated to the aluminum. Time will tell if it stays put! I didn't like the mags mine came with but it ran fine with my Wilson's and Chip McCormick mags, so no worries.

Mine looks seemless as well. I was wondering if they used some kind of epoxy or if they took the Ti insert and had a cut out for it in the mold. They could have overmolded it in place then milled it down to proper dimensions. The epoxy would be cheaper and easier to do but is an unknown for future durability. The overmolded process could have it's own set of challenges as well.

Not a huge fan of the factory mags. They are even marked differently as well. One has the Ruger name and caliber on it the other just has the 45 ACP marking which is a little larger than the other mag. Without a base pad they really take a good smack to seat them properly. They will get test fired then loaded and left in the vehicle after I get some more Wilson mags. Probably a dozen or so 7 rounders and a handful of the 8's.

bwframe

Loneranger
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    93   0   0
    Feb 11, 2008
    Btown Rural
    I'm anxious to see how it works out for you. I do not care for LW 1911's. The one I owned was difficult to keep my support hand positioned between shots. I had to reposition after each shot or shoot with a changed grip.

AngryRooster

Master
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Apr 27, 2008
    Outside the coup
    I'm anxious to see how it works out for you. I do not care for LW 1911's. The one I owned was difficult to keep my support hand positioned between shots. I had to reposition after each shot or shoot with a changed grip.

This is my first aluminum framed 1911. I've owned about a half dozen or so steel framed ones since I got out of the military back in 92. I did carry a Star PD for a couple years. It was fun to shoot and nice to carry. IIRC something broke on it and I couldn't find the part. I sold it to someone who said they could find parts for it. Most of the guns in the stable right now are some form of plastic. Many Glocks in both 9 & 45. Kahr P9. A couple M&P's. Several airweight J frames. The only all metal handguns right now are a S&W 625 Performance Center and a GP100 Wiley Clapp.

I'm looking forward to running some rounds through it. I may blow off some stuff tomorrow so I can try it out.

oldpink

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 7, 2009
    Farmland
    I'm not in the market for another autopistol, but everything I hear from those who have experience with the SR1911 is positive.
    If I were looking for a 1911, this is probably the one I'd go for.
    The price is right, the quality is there, and I'm a big Ruger fan, given that I already have an M77 and a Blackhawk.
    ;)

AngryRooster

Master
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Apr 27, 2008
    Outside the coup
    I had the best luck in my aluminum framed gun with the 160/165gr defense load offerings from Federal and Corbon.

I haven't tried those. Usually 185 is as light as I go. Most of the time I load a 230 plated HP from Xtreme bullets or I cast my own with a mold I picked up several years ago. Solid brass 2 cavity mold with reversible pins. It makes a 200 grain HP with either a standard hole or a hex hole depending on which set of pin is used. You can flip the pins and make a 215 grain flat point as well.

Carry ammo is usually standard pressure HST in all the guns that like it. If a particular gun doesn't like the HST then it gets Gold Dots or Rangers. Possibly Golden Sabers as long as the jacket doesn't separate during testing.

cramer_45_render_cr.jpg

Bfreak

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 25, 2015
    Van Buren
    these are excellent guns 1000 rounds through mine so far with no problems. No cycle probs. so for and I put the cheap stuff through right along with the good stuff.
    Trust my life to this gun every day.

Hopper

Master
    Rating - 100%
    31   0   0
    Nov 6, 2013
    Hamilton County
    I think you'll like it. I have the all steel SR1911 CMD, and really like it. About 100 rounds through it so far and no issues at all. It does have the grip safety rattle, but it is at the gunsmith right now getting a bobtail and trigger job. He is going to tighter up the grip safety too. Hopefully it will be back in the next week or so.

My only gripe is the size of the Ruger logo on the side.

You *must* post pics of your bobtail modification! Also, would be cool to know who did the work, and how much it ran. I've seen pics of bobbed SR1911 commanders, and they look fantastic.

M67

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Jan 15, 2011
    Southernish Indiana
    I'm not in the market for another autopistol, but everything I hear from those who have experience with the SR1911 is positive.

Not from me. Ruger can put together a 1911, but they can't build one. Most of them work, but like any production gun, there are turds out there.

I remember on a 1911 forum where a part broke (I forget which, it's been a couple years ago, I think it was part of the sear) on the inside of a guys SR1911, he sent it in with a letter, they sent it back to him and said the pistol was returned to factory specs and it was okay. The part was still broke. He then sent the gun back in with the pistol completely taken apart and the part in a separate baggie, and Ruger wouldn't warranty the gun because they said it wasn't designed to be taken down completely. He ended up having to buy the part off of Numrich.

The thread mysteriously disappeared a couple weeks afterwards (1911Forum)

I've also seen one that had to go back to Ruger twice, both times Ruger put a new barrel and slide on it, instead of fixing the issue; the second time back, the front sight was off center a bit, I put just a little thumb pressure on it, and it fell off.

I know other people that have them and love them, and maybe my friend's experience with his the Ruger just kept rebarrel/resliding was rare, but for me, the SR1911 does nothing

Site Supporter

INGO Supporter

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Seyboldbryan
    Top Bottom