• ...and so much more!
  • -Rooster-

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 21, 2011
    Midwest
    Good evening all,

I've been planning a rifle for quite some time now, and I have learned much over the last year of slowly researching this build. I'm now ready to amass a bunch of parts with this year's Black Friday, Cyber Monday and Christmas sales, and I want to pick your collective brains on my selections and the overall direction of my build. I'll preface this thread by admitting that I've never owned an AR, nor have I ever shot 300 blackout. This gun is being built to fill the following roles, in order; fun, my own education, and possibly home defense and SHTF.

Themes/Intentions of this build, including rationale:
    -Short barrel for maneuverability and portability - Self-explanatory
    -Supersonic 30 caliber stopping power - Also, less penetration than 5.56
    -Suppression for decreased hearing damage in an HD situation - Would prefer to avoid permanent hearing damage if I have to use it indoors without hearing protection.
    -RDS and absolute co-witness with fixed sights - Target acquisition with immediate backup capability.
    -Accuracy to 200 yards - Not many wide-open spaces where I live.
    -Nothing fancy - Money isn't an object on this build, but value is. Aesthetics are of tertiary importance behind function and value, but I'm not interested in flash.
    -Ultimate reliability - I keep my guns clean and well-maintained. I want to be able to pick this gun up after sitting for a year and run it hard without failures.

Well, here it is. I'd love to hear your thoughts, both from a system perspective and from an individual part, anecdotal evidence perspective.

Lower Receiver: Aero Precision Lower with Short Throw Safety - I was nearly sold on an ambidextrous lower, but I just don't see the need as I learn more. I'm right-handed. The Aero Gen 2 ambi lower with the PDQ lever would be great, but there are enough negative reviews on the PDQ that I question its reliability.

Mag Catch: V7 Weapons Systems Lightweight Mag Catch - Not much to say. Light and functional. Heavily considered the Norgon, but I just don't see the need for ambi here.

Bolt Catch: Seekins, or V7 when it comes out - Not much to say. Again, the ambidextrous options with only a right-sided bolt release don't excite me, and the PDQ doesn't fit my guaranteed reliability requirement.

Selector: BAD-CASS-SA-ST - I do see the need for ambidextrous here. BattleArms is a known entity.\

Trigger: ALG ACT - Sufficient for a close quarters battle rifle.

Grip: Magpul MOE-K2

Pistol Buffer: Thordsen Pistol Builder's Kit

Upper Receiver: Aero Precision M4E1 - I've actually just purchased this today. Aero is running November "Daily Deals." I dig the idea of a rail mounting system that is integrated in to the design of the upper.

Barrel: Aero Precision 8" 300 Blackout - Gas port size of 0.109" - 1 in 7" twist - Also, Aero's .750 gas block and pistol length tube

BCG: Aero Precision phosphate - I've yet to read anything that demonstrates the need for NiB, or any other, coating. A lubed phosphate BCG should do well for a long time.

Charging Handle: BCM GunFighter

Rail: Aero Precision Enhanced KeyMod - 9.0" - Lightweight, and a near-monolithic feel when mounted to my chosen upper.

Sights: Daniel Defense A1.5 and fixed front - Fixed sights for absolute co-witness sound like my cup of tea. By all reports, these are a bulletproof choice. I plan to install an XS same plane aperture, as well.

Optic: AimPoint Micro H-1 4MOA in LaRue LT751 QD Mount - CQB rifle = big, easy to acquire dot. Absolute co-witness in a QD mount sounds good too.

Suppressor: GemTech GMT-300 Blackout - If it ever comes out.

That's most of the pieces. The buffer and spring will be tuned to fire with minimal blowback with suppressed supers. I don't care if the gun doesn't cycle with subs without the can. I've also bought a KNS turned lower parts kit and Ergo upper and lower spring kits.

So, what do you think? I plan to do a full build thread with plenty of photos, as photography is another passion of mine.

Totals come out to $1420 for the rifle, $626 for the AimPoint and mount, and $1000 for the suppressor and stamp.

EDIT: I wanted to edit the original post here to make a clarification that I hope will keep those viewing the thread from buying the Thordsen kit and using it to walk dangerously close to the line between AR-pistol and illegal short barreled rifle (SBR). As we know, the BATFE has issued a paper stating that the Thordsen kit with the CAA saddle is NOT a stock, based on the fact that the kit's purpose, as designed, is to give the user an enhanced cheek-weld. This was recently further clarified by the BATFE in a response to Thordsen, in which BATFE states, "As long as the saddle device as evaluated and installed to an AR-type pistol, is not designed or redesigned and intended to contact the shoulder and is not used as a shoulder stock, its possession and use would not be prohibited." Thus, using the Thordsen kit as originally designed causes the weapon to maintain pistol status. Incorrect use, such as shouldering the weapon, constitutes a redesign and may classify a weapon as an SBR, which would be illegal without a tax stamp. Use as designed, for an enhanced cheek weld, was and is my intention with the Thordsen kit and CAA saddle. I do not care for the NFA's existence, nor its vague nature, however I do choose to abide by it as law. I would discourage any person from shouldering an AR-pistol in any configuration, as such an act may cause said person to be in violation of the NFA. In my case, I am placing more value on the $200 that I won't be required to spend on the tax stamp to remain legal than the value I am placing on the ability to shoulder the weapon. I plan to try my hand at shooting the gun this way once it is finished, as I have never shot an AR pistol. If the configuration and firing without shouldering does not work well for me, I will choose to submit a "form one" in the future, and once approved, replace the Thordsen setup with a real stock, thus creating a legal, registered, NFA-compliant SBR.

Hopefully this educates and helps to prevent anybody from building a gun that is clearly in violation of the NFA, or even one that is stuck in a gray area. Remember, I am not a lawyer. This is only my interpretation of the current state of affairs.

Last edited:

Ahburns

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 20, 2011
    West Lafayette
    Sounds like you really planned well for a very cool gun project. I just finished my first pistol lower. Not sure when I will get around to deciding what I want and building the rest. Good Luck!

Top Bottom