• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Bailey06

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 6, 2013
    I have several friends that are cops. Most of them really want the best for the community and would put there life on the line to serve & protect
    the people. Although i have had the oppurtunity to be pulled over by some that are on a power trip. I really do think it is a tough job for the pay and recognition they receive.

jaybird_123

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 9, 2012
    Just around the corner.
    I`m not going into detail, but I have known a few cops and they are just as bad as the people they arrest. And no, I have never been arrested. The few times that i have been a witness for them, i was treated like the bad guy. They are never nice to the public, i hardly ever see them smile at people they dont know. I lived next to one for maybe 13 years, when a few situations happened in the neighborhood, he would look outside to make sure his property was ok, then he would go back inside. Everyone in the neighborhood called him useless. You LEOs may know who i`m referring to, i`m not naming anyone.
    I know there are plenty ogood cops, and i`m for sure there are plenty of bad ones, but they should not treat the general public as the enemy.

drillsgt

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    108   0   0
    Nov 29, 2009
    Sioux Falls, SD
    My experience has been that the older, er I mean more experienced officers are usually ok on duty and regular guys off duty. Some of the younger ones are a little too full of themselves. Being a LEO is not a license to be a jerk. The ones that remember most people are just trying to make an honest living and go home at the end of the day have less attitude. I have had friends in all levels of law enforcement so I try to give as much respect as I receive and not go out of my way to give LEO a hard time.

This is true, unfortunately the PERF BS makes it impossible to hire older more mature officers with some life experience and some common sense who've been around.

Racechase1

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 17, 2013
    Indy
    Leo's, some good , some bad, they're people. But as for IMPD and they're past history of corruption, it's going to take a lot of work to clean up the mess. For me the Brisard DUI attempted cover up was the last straw.The department lost all respect I had for it.

public servant

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    i hardly ever see them smile at people they dont know.

I lived next to one for maybe 13 years, when a few situations happened in the neighborhood, he would look outside to make sure his property was ok, then he would go back inside.

Everyone in the neighborhood called him useless.

...they should not treat the general public as the enemy.
    Do you smile at people you don't know? If you do, those people think you're weird.

He's off work. Do you want people bothering you about work when you're at home? You and your neighbors don't know how to dial 911?

You and your neighbors talk about him behind his back and he's supposed to give a **** about you?

Like you and your neighbors do to him?

For the record...I have no idea who you're talking about. Name names.

Cops are no different than any other cross section of society. Truck drivers, soldiers, lawyers, carpenters, plumbers, doctors, dentists... Most are OK, some are *******s.

drillsgt

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    108   0   0
    Nov 29, 2009
    Sioux Falls, SD
    I've only been pulled over once in the seven years i've lived in IN by ISP and it was a benign interaction, no complaints. I've never had an interaction with anyone here in Greenfield but many don't have a professional appearance and I think they are way overstaffed for our population.

dailylc

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 4, 2009
    Evansville
    The only problem I have ever had with an officer, was by a state trooper. I was in driving lane, cruise on 65 and he was in the passing lane clocking traffic from the other direction. His speed was slower than 65 ans I passed him in the driving lane. At that point, he sped up to pass me and I passed him again, shortly after again. He quickly dropped in behind me and pulled me over. Got to my window and asked if I knew why he pulled me over. I said, no sir. He then proceeded to tell me, anyone who passes a fully marked 2 times from the passing lane, deserves to be pulled over. He then writes me a warning for excessive speed, because he said, he clocked me doing 66 in a 65 zone. I refused to sign the ticket, because he would not put the speed he clocked me at. Eventually signed the ticket, to be on my way. I had to pass the Post to get home, so I stopped in and requested to speak with a supervisor, who I just happen to know from church and told him the situation. Needless to say, the warning was taken care of:) All other encounters have been good, thus far.

cordex

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jun 24, 2008
    Almost all my experiences with cops have been positive. I'm actually going to be riding along with an INGO deputy tonight. Doing the ride-alongs has opened my eyes to some of the ins and outs of police work. For anyone critical of police, I strongly recommend asking your local police or Sheriff's department to do a ride. It helps see things from a different perspective.

That said, one speeding violation turned into the most exciting night that Clayton police have had since the Great Clayton Pipebomb Takeover Plot of 1983. Apparently a holstered 1911 in condition one is against some imaginary Indiana law, at least in the mind of a couple of the responding Clayton officers. They couldn't find IC to charge me with so I got my ticket and was cut loose.

TJSaltdog

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 25, 2012
    Lafayette
    I have had no problems with Police or Sheriffs Department here in Lafayette. I have friends and family on both forces and family on the West Lafayette police force. It just amazes me how many LEO's do not know the gun laws. I have educated my family members that are cops on the gun laws.

Stang51d

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Apr 25, 2012
    Centerpoint
    If you have a CDL, they will bend you over!!! first of all, with a CDL, you will never get a warning, IDK why that is, but it just is. Then there is the state cop that was sitting on the west bound on ramp at the 37 on 70. With a truck in front of me, one behind me, and cars passing me, he passes the truck behind me just write me a ticket for 70/65. And the 39 year old truck that I have doesn't even have a working speedometer. Im sure there are a few good cops, but most are dicks! The trouble is, they don't pay enough to get good ones, then the ones they do get, and power hungry peckerheads that don't mind the pay, so they can be a "big man".

roisigns

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 92.9%
    13   1   0
    Oct 5, 2011
    cincy
    Never had a bad experience during the 3 speeding tickets that I've received or other 4 times I was stopped with a tail light out (stupid '64 Chevy).

I believe that most are upright. Guessing 1 out of thousand cause the problems.

BE Mike

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Jul 23, 2008
    New Albany
    If you have a CDL, they will bend you over!!! first of all, with a CDL, you will never get a warning, IDK why that is, but it just is. Then there is the state cop that was sitting on the west bound on ramp at the 37 on 70. With a truck in front of me, one behind me, and cars passing me, he passes the truck behind me just write me a ticket for 70/65. And the 39 year old truck that I have doesn't even have a working speedometer. Im sure there are a few good cops, but most are dicks! The trouble is, they don't pay enough to get good ones, then the ones they do get, and power hungry peckerheads that don't mind the pay, so they can be a "big man".
    So he should have written you a ticket for faulty equipment. Is that what you are complaining about, or that you didn't have any idea of your speed?

Mounty09

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Dec 12, 2010
    Noblesville
    I have not had any issues with the police I have dealt with. All have been pretty professional. Now DNR is a different story. After a few run ins with them, they get non of my respect.

Tandor

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 4, 2011
    Chesterton
    My 2 cents, LEO's are under paid and I believe if you run from a cop, they have the right to shoot you in the face......

Last edited:

IndyDave1776

Grandmaster
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jan 12, 2012
    That said, one speeding violation turned into the most exciting night that Clayton police have had since the Great Clayton Pipebomb Takeover Plot of 1983. Apparently a holstered 1911 in condition one is against some imaginary Indiana law, at least in the mind of a couple of the responding Clayton officers. They couldn't find IC to charge me with so I got my ticket and was cut loose.

This reminds me of an experience with a Clinton cop and my 1911 in the same condition. First, I advised him I was carrying. He then asked if I had a gun, to which I pointed out that I just told him I did. He then insisted on taking it, discovered its condition, and handed it back to me demanding that I unload it and hand it back to him, followed by a lecture about how he 'didn't like that'. I pointed out that John Browning was one of the most brilliant firearms designers in history, and that is how he designed it to be carried. I think the cop missed the implication that he was a moron (which he was).

I would say that it is a combination of revenue and that we are a demographic which is not big enough to represent a political threat. Federal regulations are also a big contributor. I am not sure how exactly the state police are enforcing federal regulations written by bureaucrats under the auspices of the Secretary of Transportation, but they do--and if you don't like it now, I understand they are about to double down on us in a few months--like logbook fines for three hours of blank space becoming $3,000 apiece to us and $11,000 apiece to our employers. Now, someone just try telling me it isn't about the money.

So he should have written you a ticket for faulty equipment. Is that what you are complaining about, or that you didn't have any idea of your speed?

On a truck that old, the speedometer would offer a general idea of how fast you are going that likely would not keep you within a sufficient margin of error to make you safe from tickets. You could do as well or better judging by the tach. Equipment has changed a lot since then--you have to remember that when a 39 year old truck was new, it would have been sold right before the advent of the federally mandated 55mph speed limit when there wasn't so much concern over speed laws which (like most arbitrary laws) were not enforced with near the ruthlessness now standard. Back then, a speedometer with the needle bouncing back and forth over a 10 to 15 mph arc was good enough. Those days are gone. I can't comment on retrofitting newer gauges as I have never attempted to do so.

Rocket

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    28   0   0
    Jun 7, 2011
    Whiteland
    I have had good and bad experiences with Leo. First ticket I ever got was thrown out by the judge in traffic court cause I didn't break the law. But since I was 16 the cop was a total prick. I had a foreign exchange student in my car that he almost drug out and cuffed. Her dad was a cop in the Netherlands and she didn't like his attitude.

I was raised to always give respect to officers weather they deserved it or not. And I do the same to this day. I can say I keep my nose clean. I have whitnessed corruption first hand. Small town bs. I have had awesome encounters with very helpfull officers.

I know that it is a thankless job and underpaid. So even when the local cop gave me my first parking ticket in 24 years of driving yesterday. I smiled and told him to have a nice day. He didn't know that I haven't been able to work in 2 months since being ill and having surgery. That I was parked in front of my first job my first day back and that the $30 ticket is a burden I didn't need. Too bad there were not any signs close to declaring that parking there was not allowed. Was I mad he/: yes. But he was just doing his job and I need to take up the missing sign with the town not him.

For the record all he asked me was was this my vehicle. I said yes he handed me e the citation and asked me to move. Did not ask me about my LtCH and ask if I was carrying, which I was.

So I guess my thoughts to op are if the person you are dealing with is being polite, please return the courtesy.

Top Bottom