F935F50C-BB31-4D88-89B6-32A148A128EC-14884-000009A413E73D7C_zps1eb75ebb.jpg

Yep. I see it.

cexshun

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 5, 2012
    Portage
    or he could have demanded to see your catch?

And I would have asked for a warrant. Simply seeing fish at a fishing camp ground is hardly probably cause for a warrant-less search. Much like seeing a firearm is not probably cause to disarm and run the serial number.

No VUPD, I don't blame the officer. He was doing his job. I have no distaste for LEOs. But this is my exact point, his job was to enforce a law. By talking to him, we incriminated ourselves on an ordinance that we didn't know existed.

There are countless laws on the books that a tourist can hardly expect to know them all. I drive a muscle car, does the town I'm going to have a noise ordinance requiring mufflers to be no louder than X decibels? What about every town I drive through on the way? What about limiting car stereos to X decibels? What about auxiliary lights on cars? Prohibition on certain types of tires or tire chains on certain roads? Limitations on public/private smoking of tobacco? Fireworks regulations? Hit a deer, can I claim the carcass?

No sane person could ever hope to research enough to cover all local, county, and state laws or ordinances. So why talk to LEOs and potentially incriminate myself when I can simply politely decline to speak to them? Heck, I don't even know my local codes on some of those things.

VUPDblue

Silencers Have NEVER Been Illegal !
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   1
    Mar 20, 2008
    Franklin Township
    I believe that in Indiana at least, COs can check your catch without any warrant restrictions. I believe that this is part of an agreement you enter into when obtaining a fishing license. if I am incorrect then I apologize and would love to be corrected. after all, I am not a CO.

cexshun

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 5, 2012
    Portage
    I believe that in Indiana at least, COs can check your catch without any warrant restrictions. I believe that this is part of an agreement you enter into when obtaining a fishing license. if I am incorrect then I apologize and would love to be corrected. after all, I am not a CO.

See, this is one of those regulations I thought I knew. I'd still demand a warrant, and if he looked anyway, I certainly wouldn't have stopped him. I would have fought the fine pretty hard and would have found out.

DNR may be able to verify a catch without a warrant. My memory is limited as this was 25 years ago, but the story has always been retold as a police officer was the one talking to us. Whether he called in a game warden, I'd be guessing.

With the innate distrust of everything government here, I'm curious on why LEOs get a free pass when it comes to privacy and constitutional rights?

cexshun

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 5, 2012
    Portage
    Can local or county pd do a compliance check? Any DNR officer? Specific to the game warden?

I should look this up. This is good info to have.

Destro

Master
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Mar 10, 2011
    The Khyber Pass
    IC 14-22-39-3

This gives the COs authority to search for evidence of illegal taking of game.

IC 14-22-39-3
    Searches of effects; entry onto property
    Sec. 3. (a) As used in this section, "public or private property" does not include dwellings.
    (b) The director and conservation officers may:
    (1) search a boat, a conveyance, a vehicle, an automobile, a fish box, a fish basket, a game bag, a game coat, or other receptacle in which game may be carried; and
    (2) enter into or upon private or public property for the purposes of subdivision (1) or for the purpose of patrolling or investigating;
    if the director or conservation officer has good reason to believe that the director or conservation officer will secure evidence of a violation of this article or a law for the propagation or protection of fish, frogs, mussels, game, furbearing mammals, or birds.
    As added by P.L.1-1995, SEC.15.

SERparacord

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 16, 2012
    Amish Mafia Bar
    IC 14-22-39-3

This gives the COs authority to search for evidence of illegal taking of game.

If you buy any type of hunting/trapping/fishing etc. license you sign away your rights. That gives the CO power to search you and your vehicle any time they want. What if you do not buy a license? :)

Miles42

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Oct 11, 2012
    Fishers, IN
    I am 70 years old and have never known anyone that was set up by corrupt police officers. Not to say it hasn't been done. I stand by my original post. Time to quit whining and get on with your life.

Top Bottom