• ...and so much more!
  • ACC

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    134   0   1
    Mar 7, 2012
    N. Side of Indy
    I picked up a Romanian SAR-1 over the weekend. It does not have a threaded barrel and I would like to be able to add a muzzle break. Therefore, I am considering threading the barrel.

This brings up some questions as I have never done this.

1. Is threading a barrel something I can do on my own? I don;t have the tools, but I am pretty technically savvy.

2. If I buy the tolls, can I use the same tools to thread other non-threaded barrels? (like my Mossberg MVP)

3. Does the barrel have to be removed in order to be threaded?

4. If this is something I need to have a pro do, anyone have a recommendation in Indy?

G3kray

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 11, 2014
    Valparaiso
    If you buy a die,handle and a guide it's very easy and you don't have to remove anything. And yes you can thread anything else as long as it's the same diameter as the ak barrel. YouTube is your friend on these things good luck

Trigger Time

Air guitar master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 98.6%
    204   3   0
    Aug 26, 2011
    SOUTH of Zombie city
    A untrained monkey can thread an ak barrel. don't blow your money having it done. Buy the tools online and when your done you can easily sell them on ingo.
    ive threaded many ak barrels for myself and a couple others. It's easy.

M67

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Jan 15, 2011
    Southernish Indiana
    Threading by hand may be easy and will work for a regular muzzle device but are you confident enough in the concentricity that if you added a suppressor to your AK that you wouldn't get a baffle strike?

M+M Inc hand threads their AK barrels and even they say that the threads should be concentric, but to get it checked by a gunsmith before adding a suppressor

IndyGunworks

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   0
    Feb 22, 2009
    Carthage IN
    Threading by hand may be easy and will work for a regular muzzle device but are you confident enough in the concentricity that if you added a suppressor to your AK that you wouldn't get a baffle strike?

This.... it might be easy if all you are adding is a flash hider.... but say a few years down the road you want to add a suppressor... are you guys positive that hand threading it with a probably sloppy fitting mandrel and a die will be accurate enough to the bore to avoid baffle strikes? I would say no, and still say have it done by a pro, on a lathe, with single point tooling.

mammynun

Master
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Oct 30, 2009
    New Albany
    Here's my one hit wonder video that I shot on how I threaded my Saiga's barrel. I should have monetized it from day one! :rolleyes:

[video=youtube_share;1q9vZYl49yw]http://youtu.be/1q9vZYl49yw?list=UUYWzrmL8-2MTWFpTBafgcQw[/video]

For what it's worth, I'd certainly check about 100 times before putting my SDN-6 on it... but the Smith Vortex has had no issues.

Last edited:

djsmith1000

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Dec 5, 2014
    United States
    Id recommend doing it right on a lathe with single point tooling as well if you ever plan suppressor or brake as said above. Be sure to check bore concentricity, not just with the outside of the barrel.

Top Bottom