• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • cbickel

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Aug 31, 2014
    Van by the river
    Purchased a brand new pistol a few weeks ago that has a threaded barrel/thread protector. This is my first threaded barreled pistol. I’ve noticed that every few shots, the protector comes loose. I just hand tighten and carry on. I’ve heard that one should never use loctite here.

Is this just something I’ll have to have to live with or is there a solution to this?

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    Purchased a brand new pistol a few weeks ago that has a threaded barrel/thread protector. This is my first threaded barreled pistol. I’ve noticed that every few shots, the protector comes loose. I just hand tighten and carry on. I’ve heard that one should never use loctite here.

Is this just something I’ll have to have to live with or is there a solution to this?

Is it knurled or does it have wrench flats. I bump mine down with a wrench or a soft jaw pliers on the knurled ones.
    No locTite

Goodcat

From a place you cannot see…
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    153   0   0
    Jan 13, 2009
    New Pal
    I’m in the same boat. Only recently been shooting my M&P9 unsuppressed with the Wilson combat barrel. Did you notice a POI shift with the thread protector loose? Not sure if I did, just curious.

cbickel

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Aug 31, 2014
    Van by the river
    I’m in the same boat. Only recently been shooting my M&P9 unsuppressed with the Wilson combat barrel. Did you notice a POI shift with the thread protector loose? Not sure if I did, just curious.
    I haven’t really noticed... I’ve only been about 10yrds and 5-10 shot groups. It’s become muscle memory to tighten it when the mag is emptied.

Areoflyer09

Master
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Feb 28, 2017
    Indianapolis
    So I’ve forgotten the technical name of them, but I’ve got one threaded barrel that uses one of the washers that has a curve in it. Essentially the washer isn’t flat and puts some pressure back on the thread protector. It’s kept that one from coming loose.

The compensator I just picked uses an o-ring to keep tension and it hasn’t given me an issue yet either.

This all works with my 22s, but maybe it won’t work bigger calibers.

dung

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 9, 2017
    Charlestwon
    I used teflon tape on my cz75 and it survived shooting a 100 rounds in the back yard. However, it backed off after a USPSA Match. I switched to an O-ring and it held tight for a steel challenge. I think they recommend #11 o-rings, but I had to go a size smaller to fit the groove on my barrel.

BluedSteel

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 18, 2018
    Huntingburg
    Hardware stores sell a thicker teflon tape for use on gas lines. It's yellow instead of the usual white. Much easier to find than the right size O ring or crush washer and $2-3.00 buys you a lifetime supply.

I use about a turn and a half on my .45 and a little less on the Five Seven. Hard finger tight, no tools necessary.

AllenM

Diamond Collision Inc. Avon.
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    134   0   0
    Apr 20, 2008
    Avon
    Hardware stores sell a thicker teflon tape for use on gas lines. It's yellow instead of the usual white. Much easier to find than the right size O ring or crush washer and $2-3.00 buys you a lifetime supply.

I use about a turn and a half on my .45 and a little less on the Five Seven. Hard finger tight, no tools necessary.

This

Top Bottom