• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Scutter01

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 21, 2008
    Anyone know if it can be done? Local places that can do it? Anticipating the eventual arrival of my .22 suppressor and I'd like to use my 10/22 as a platform, but I don't know if the tapered barrel is large enough to support threading. I really don't want to spend $150-$200 for an aftermarket threaded barrel.

shooter521

Certified Glock Nut
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    May 13, 2008
    Indianapolis, IN US
    Anyone know if it can be done?

Yes.

Local places that can do it?

I dunno about "local" but Acme Sports in Seymour did mine. I actually bought a barrel from them and had them cut and thread it before sending it out.

I don't know if the tapered barrel is large enough to support threading.

It's fine. Most places, though, will want to omit the front sight when they thread the barrel. Acme and Hi-Desertdog.com were the only places I've found that offered threaded standard barrels with the front sight intact.

Scutter01

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 21, 2008
    Those are interesting. I'd rather get the barrel threaded if possible, but that's definitely a Plan B. Thanks.

shooter521

Certified Glock Nut
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    May 13, 2008
    Indianapolis, IN US
    Coolio. How much did they charge you to thread? Did they give you a thread protector?

Like I said, I bought the whole barrel. They charged me $150 delivered, and it came with a knurled thread protector. Call Joe or drop him a line to get a quote on just the thread job.

I will say, though, that it took several weeks to get the barrel threaded and shipped out; Acme, like many gunshops, was slammed with business in the weeks and months following the election.

It might be quicker and easier to sell your stock barrel and order one pre-threaded from hi-desertdog.com. Your out-of-pocket cost should be about the same as having your existing barrel threaded.

Scutter01

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 21, 2008
    I'm not in any particular hurry, so shipping my barrel down for a couple of weeks doesn't bother me. At least, not as much as buying a whole new barrel would. :D

My primary platform is going to be my P22, which is already threaded.

I really like the Tactical Solutions barrels, but the price is a little too salty for me. I told my wife that by the time I'm done with my 10/22, I'm going to have enough parts left over to build a whole new rifle, and then I'll have to start the process all over again!

minuteman32

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Mar 23, 2008
    Central IN
    scutter01 said:
    I really like the Tactical Solutions barrels, but the price is a little too salty for me. I told my wife that by the time I'm done with my 10/22, I'm going to have enough parts left over to build a whole new rifle, and then I'll have to start the process all over again!

I found the same problem! :):

Last edited by a moderator:

Britton

Master
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 2, 2008
    Knoxville
    I have Tactical Innovation Blued Heavy Barrels for $149.95 and Tactical Innovation Stainless regular barrels for $149.95, both threaded. Now normally I would knock off $10.00 for you, but since you did not ask me first my feelings are hurt.

Scutter01

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 21, 2008
    I have Tactical Innovation Blued Heavy Barrels for $149.95 and Tactical Innovation Stainless regular barrels for $149.95, both threaded. Now normally I would knock off $10.00 for you, but since you did not ask me first my feelings are hurt.

Hey, in my defense, my question was if my stock barrel could be threaded...

barber613

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Feb 22, 2009
    Kokomo
    I talked to a machined shop owner tonight at the ball park. He is a sponsor for a golf tourney I run and he said his shop could do it. I will let you know how it goes.

Top Bottom