• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • gunworks321

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    69   0   0
    Nov 25, 2008
    Noblesville
    I have an early 90's Colt HBAR Match Target AR-15 without a muzzle device, ala the Assault Weapons ban of 1993 I believe it was. Do I keep it in it's original condition, or thread the barrel and put on a flash hider. I can do the threading myself and have the flash hider, so that is not a problem. Should I wish to sell it down the road, will the addition of the flash hider impact the re-sale value negatively or would it actually enhance the rifle? Just wanted to get some outside opinions before starting the project. All input welcome.

Skyhawk

NRA Life Member
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Aug 7, 2011
    Richmond Indiana
    Halfmileharry and PGRChaplain are right. It's a target model and threading the barrel will destroy the harmonics of the barrel and change its accuracy. Go to the Indy 1500 and get a cheap AR to put your flash hider on. It is your rifle though, personalize it however you want.
    Gunsmith at Prairie Wolf Gun Repair, Richmond

7mmRM

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 1, 2008
    Celestine , IN
    Halfmileharry and PGRChaplain are right. It's a target model and threading the barrel will destroy the harmonics of the barrel and change its accuracy. Go to the Indy 1500 and get a cheap AR to put your flash hider on. It is your rifle though, personalize it however you want.
    Gunsmith at Prairie Wolf Gun Repair, Richmond

I can't say one way or the other in terms of value, but to say that a proper threading of the muzzle will destroy the harmonics and accuracy of the barrel is complete and total nonsense. A properly coaxially indicated , turned and threaded barrel will have absolutely no adverse effects on accuracy. If anything I would submit that a properly done barrel may do better as it is common practice to recut the crown . One that is now concentric to the bore.

Top Bottom