• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • 8shot

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Apr 30, 2009
    I remember my grandfather entertaining us kids with his ability to throw anything from a doublebladed axe, to a throwing tomahawk/hatchet. He had me at least hitting the stump and a few actually stuck. Now in my old age I would like to try that again. Does anyone have any ideas where a quality throwing hatchet can be bought?

theweakerbrother

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Mar 28, 2009
    Bartholomew County, IN
    If you ever make it down to Smoky Mountain Knife Works in Sevierville, TN they have quite a few to chose from. I bet their website has them listed to check out. I have similar fond memories. My grandpa (on my mother's side) was a champion knife and ax thrower, even into his old age. I never asked him to teach me like I should have. In college, I picked it up a little and my roommate and I spent many an evening drinking beer and throwing axes/knives.

CoyoteCreekGuns

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   0
    Feb 7, 2009
    New Palestine, IN
    I've been looking at this one, but I haven't taken the plunge yet (and it's less than $40.00)

Amazon.com: SOG Specialty Knives & Tools F01T Fusion Tactical Tomahawk, Black Hardcased: Home Improvement

31DqvyYBW0L._SL500_AA280_.jpg

Jack Ryan

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 2, 2008
    I remember my grandfather entertaining us kids with his ability to throw anything from a doublebladed axe, to a throwing tomahawk/hatchet. He had me at least hitting the stump and a few actually stuck. Now in my old age I would like to try that again. Does anyone have any ideas where a quality throwing hatchet can be bought?

HBForge.com

Picture002.jpg

Last edited:

jeremy

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Feb 18, 2008
    Fiddler's Green
    I've been looking at this one, but I haven't taken the plunge yet (and it's less than $40.00)

Amazon.com: SOG Specialty Knives & Tools F01T Fusion Tactical Tomahawk, Black Hardcased: Home Improvement

31DqvyYBW0L._SL500_AA280_.jpg

I got me one of these...

I have yet to try throwing it, not a big fan of throwing tools around myself. But I have been beating the hell out of it for like 4 years now I think. I use this as my survival hatchet in my kit. I have used it for everything from chopping small trees up for firewood and shelters. To punching my way though ice to check on my traps. For $40 it is worth the money spent. :twocents:

Dewidmt

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Mar 27, 2008
    South of the Muscatatuck

jeremy

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Feb 18, 2008
    Fiddler's Green
    Stay away from this one! I bought the SOG at a gunshow and it broke under the ferrule after just 12 throws! The handle is cheap wood painted to look like nylon. I'm interested in a good throwing axe also....

If the one you had has a wooden handle someone took you. :dunno:

The SOG handle is a Fiberglass and Nylon composite handle similar to the fiberglass handle you find on a lot of hammers these days... ;)

Dewidmt

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Mar 27, 2008
    South of the Muscatatuck
    If the one you had has a wooden handle someone took you. :dunno:

The SOG handle is a Fiberglass and Nylon composite handle similar to the fiberglass handle you find on a lot of hammers these days... ;)

Nope! Check again....specs state a fiberglass "reinforced" handle. I'm here to tell you buddy, there is just wood under that covering and i can show you the pics if you want! I have it sitting out in the garage, SOG Fusion....just like yours. Have you tried throwing yours at a maple tree when it's 5 degrees out?

jeremy

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Feb 18, 2008
    Fiddler's Green
    Nope! Check again....specs state a fiberglass "reinforced" handle. I'm here to tell you buddy, there is just wood under that covering and i can show you the pics if you want! I have it sitting out in the garage, SOG Fusion....just like yours. Have you tried throwing yours at a maple tree when it's 5 degrees out?

Then apparently the do not know how to write a spec sheet either...
    No mention of wood in the handle material... :dunno:
    Fusion Tactical Tomahawk

Blade Length 2.75"
    Overall Length 15.75"
    Weight 24 oz.
    Edge Straight Steel 420
    Handle Fiberglass/Nylon
    Finish Hardcased Black
    Sheath Nylon

Last edited:

Dewidmt

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Mar 27, 2008
    South of the Muscatatuck
    Handle fiberglass/nylon FINISH.....doesn't state the material of the handle.....I'll grab the camera tomorrow, I'll even cross section a non-busted piece of the handle. Somebody already called dibs on the head.....

jeremy

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Feb 18, 2008
    Fiddler's Green
    You are aware that you can get it repaired by SOG under warranty?

I am not doubting you or calling you on it didn't mean to make it sound that way.

As far as throwing mine. Not a big fan of throwing tools personally. To me throwing a knife or a hawk is like throwing a pistol at someone. Not my style.

Jack Ryan

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 2, 2008
    Handle fiberglass/nylon FINISH.....doesn't state the material of the handle.....I'll grab the camera tomorrow, I'll even cross section a non-busted piece of the handle. Somebody already called dibs on the head.....

Why not just put another handle in it?

Dewidmt

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Mar 27, 2008
    South of the Muscatatuck
    Could, but a fellow board member would like the head to do some pattern and steel work. When I get it back, I'll put a new handle in it...lol, I have 3 others that need new hafts also. Locally made heads.

Jack Ryan

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 2, 2008
    Could, but a fellow board member would like the head to do some pattern and steel work. When I get it back, I'll put a new handle in it...lol, I have 3 others that need new hafts also. Locally made heads.

Why do the handles get broken so much?

Jack Ryan

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 2, 2008
    My handles are all wood, they do get loose once in a while but just a tap and they are tight again. I let every kid who walks on the place throw mine about all they want and I think I might have replaced one or two at the most.

Top Bottom