• ...and so much more!
  • Bill of Rights

Cogito, ergo porto.
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Apr 26, 2008
    Where's the bacon?
    Well taking your gun and going home doesn't do much either.

Correct me if I'm wrong: As I see it, he had the following choices:

• CC and provide no opportunity to educate, but still protect himself.
    • Go unarmed; as above, but unsafe.
    • OC and disarm at the first complaint; bad education and unsafe
    • OC and leave once told he had to (though should have been by the renter, not the deputy)
    • Stay after being told to leave, regardless of mode of carry, and get busted for trespass (no one advocating this, just one of the choices
    With the fourth choice, the one he made, he had the opportunity to both educate and to stand for his rights and defend them. With the others, not so much.

It seems to me the education comes as a result of people seeing, questioning, learning, and seeing principled stands taken calmly and rationally. Seeing people get into screaming fits (like busybody) convinces everyone that one is in the wrong.

Overall, I think the OP handled this as best anyone could.

That's just my opinion.

Blessings,
    Bill

357 Terms

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jan 28, 2012
    Between SB and FT.W
    I will give you that it doesnt do a whole lot, but had he been CC it would have garnered no conversation whatsoever.

I'm not sure if there is a thing wrong with that.

We are not talking about a diner, movie theatre, mall or any other public place, we are talking about a family event (an anniversary!).

Not really the place to make a statement.

EvilBlackGun

Master
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   1
    Apr 11, 2011
    Mid-eastern
    Sheriff? What Sheriff?

Was he LEO for real? Why? Any potential for needing crowd-control? Or was he there for the party? He obviously was a candidate for education. And if not a "hired gun", has no power or status to state wrong law nor enforce it. Handle poorly, in lack of sharing some real edifying moments, but "do what you have to do."
    Well taking your gun and going home doesn't do much either.

CPT Nervous

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Mar 7, 2012
    The Southern Bend

We are not talking about a diner, movie theatre, mall or any other public place, we are talking about a family event (an anniversary!).

It's not about making a statement. I don't OC to make a statement. I OC because I like to. I am not comfortable CCing.

It's about not sacrificing your values for others.

Bunnykid68

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Mar 2, 2010
    Cave of Caerbannog

You are the one who has been railing on and on that he should have disarmed himself and go back and have more conversations with a couple of nimrods. At least that is how I read it. :dunno:

357 Terms

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jan 28, 2012
    Between SB and FT.W
    You are the one who has been railing on and on that he should have disarmed himself and go back and have more conversations with a couple of nimrods. At least that is how I read it. :dunno:

No, everyone who might listen.

It seems to me the education comes as a result of people seeing, questioning, learning, and seeing principled stands taken calmly and rationally. Seeing people get into screaming fits (like busybody) convinces everyone that one is in the wrong.

Thats assuming it was seen by anyone ( except for the few outside while they were smoking)

Some may assume he was asked to leave, and left, because he wasn't allowed to OC.

Who knows? we nor the OP won't.

It would be interesting if some members of that family DID invite him to another event.

Ted

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 19, 2012
    Busybody and the sheriff's deputy (he said he was, but who knows) could have been waiting in wait until the armed guys left to commit a crime too.

Stuff like this still happens.

In any case, its nice to know that some will disarm, merely to be mature. Good luck with keeping that family of yours safe.

Bunnykid68

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Mar 2, 2010
    Cave of Caerbannog
    No, everyone who might listen.

Why on earth would he disarm just to go back and see if someone wanted to talk about what just happened? Some people take their weapon to bed, shower, toilet, or wherever they may be going all the time and are certainly not going to disarm themselves for some chance at a conversation with someone that is not interested in the same conversation

357 Terms

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jan 28, 2012
    Between SB and FT.W
    Why on earth would he disarm just to go back and see if someone wanted to talk about what just happened? Some people take their weapon to bed, shower, toilet, or wherever they may be going all the time and are certainly not going to disarm themselves for some chance at a conversation with someone that is not interested in the same conversation

How do you know nobody at that event was interested?

I bet it was a topic of conversation for a few of the people after he left.

In any case, its nice to know that some will disarm, merely to be mature. Good luck with keeping that family of yours safe.

Some will CC and never have to worry about it, at least at a private function.

Bunnykid68

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Mar 2, 2010
    Cave of Caerbannog
    How do you know nobody at that event was interested?

I bet it was a topic of conversation for a few of the people after he left.

Some will CC and never have to worry about it, at least at a private function.

And he chose to exercise his Right to Bear Arms and leave instead disarming himself and causing a scene with the few people that we know were around at the time.

OP- How many people would you say witnessed your rights being violated?

Dirtebiker

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    49   0   0
    Feb 13, 2011
    Greenwood
    So you equate an old womans health issues with your right/choice to open carry?

You, nor the OP has any idea if someone, or many others , asked "mr. busybody" to confront the OP.

Had the OP handled the situation in a mature manner ( put his sidearm in the car) and engaged those involved in an informed conversation I would see it different.

Explain to us, what the o.p. did that was immature! The way I read it, he DID have an "informed conversation".

Dirtebiker

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    49   0   0
    Feb 13, 2011
    Greenwood
    Your reading comprehension needs work. "They" didn't ask him to do anything. An off-duty sheriff interjected his opinion without being told by the party organizers.

Ding, ding, ding!!! You win the prize for reading comprehension!:rockwoot: why do so many here think that the off duty deputy was speaking for the family?!

DaddyFixSemi

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 6, 2011
    Princeton, In
    Was he LEO for real? Why? Any potential for needing crowd-control? Or was he there for the party? He obviously was a candidate for education. And if not a "hired gun", has no power or status to state wrong law nor enforce it. Handle poorly, in lack of sharing some real edifying moments, but "do what you have to do."

yes he was a real Vc Sheriff and he was not there as part of any type of crowd-control or security. He was there as a member of the family, now what type of family relation he is I don't know, he could be like me and related only through his wife or as an actual member of the family. I'm still waiting on my wife to get a hold of her cousin and get some answer's. I will also state right here and now he was correct in every action that he took up untill he did a 180 and changed from saying the family would prefer that firearms be locked in the cars, to "you will lock it in your car or leave".. never once did he talk to or consult with a known* family member he only stood beside his truck with cigarette in his hand and the "busybody" about 5 feet from him.

* known to me. The only family members I knew there, where the couple who the party was for and my wife's father. other then those people I didn't know anyone there personally.

357 Terms

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jan 28, 2012
    Between SB and FT.W
    Explain to us, what the o.p. did that was immature! The way I read it, he DID have an "informed conversation".

He talked with a couple people outside then left. Stick around and engage others in the conversation, don't just leave, find out who is in charge ( the person who's name the building is in) so many of you guys say "take a stand", so why not take a stand?

Cowering to some busybody and a sherriff isn't standing up for yourself.

Top Bottom