• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Caleb

Making whiskey, one batch at a time!
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Aug 11, 2008
    Columbus, IN
    Just got my first 1911, a kimber but since bringing it home, the thumb safety became loose on the right side of the gun... any ideas how to fix this?

drillsgt

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    108   0   0
    Nov 29, 2009
    Sioux Falls, SD
    If you have an ambi safety with a right side lever that wiggles or moves independently of the left side it usually means there is a problem with the connection. With Kimbers (and really most all ambis), the two parts are joined by a tongue and groove type connection through the grip safety. Usually what happens is the tongue (left side) was filed too much or the groove (usually the right side) has started to expand allowing the movement. I would take it apart and fit the two and you should be able to see how much movement there is. A quick fix can be to carefully squeeze the groove portion together for a tighter fit. You may also check with Kimber and see if you can get a replacement but it will have to be refit to your sear.

Caleb

Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Aug 11, 2008
    Columbus, IN
    If you have an ambi safety with a right side lever that wiggles or moves independently of the left side it usually means there is a problem with the connection. With Kimbers (and really most all ambis), the two parts are joined by a tongue and groove type connection through the grip safety. Usually what happens is the tongue (left side) was filed too much or the groove (usually the right side) has started to expand allowing the movement. I would take it apart and fit the two and you should be able to see how much movement there is. A quick fix can be to carefully squeeze the groove portion together for a tighter fit. You may also check with Kimber and see if you can get a replacement but it will have to be refit to your sear.

How do you take it apart? If I have to get any parts refitted, I'm going with a non-ambi Wilson combat thumb safety and maybe long slide release.

kilo11

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 11, 2009
    Avon,IN
    How do you take it apart? If I have to get any parts refitted, I'm going with a non-ambi Wilson combat thumb safety and maybe long slide release.

What I would suggest is to buy this video and learn how to do the minor troubleshooting and gunsmithing yourself. Dean's video is great for those new to the 1911 platform. I've been working on 1911's for about 4 years now, and even though I've had some machining and metalworking experience prior, I taught myself the majority of the process. Despite what some might say, detail stripping and working on your 1911 on your own is the best way your going to learn the in's and out's of the gun. If you don't want to buy the video or want to work on your gun while you wait for it, there are plenty of YouTube videos that will explain the detail stripping process. Once you get in there and see how it works, you may be able to fix the problem. Just remember, the thumb safety is a crucial element in the safety of the 1911 and it is fitted for the gun. So don't go filing too much or trying to something your not comfortable with.

As far as your problem.

Caleb

Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Aug 11, 2008
    Columbus, IN
    I mean, the switch works right now, it does what it's suppose to do...I'm a bit OCD and the right side being loose bugs me.

Top Bottom