• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • IndianaGTI

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   1
    May 2, 2010
    Thumbs up to the Orange County Sheriff's Department. I see so many rants on here about bad LEO. I am the first to agree that there are a few that make the rest look bad. I think that the vast majority are good people.

Anyway, I was stopped at 2:30 am driving into Paoli. It was right at the sign where the speed limit drops and I had turned my cruise control off but had not slowed enough to meet the new speed limit. So, I was speeding. The officer turned around, followed me for a while to observe my driving, then pulled me over. The officer was very polite. I had my driver's license in hand then explained that before I dug through my glove box for my registration, I had 2 handguns in it. My EDC and my glove box gun were both in the glove box since I had been somewhere that I had to remove my EDC. The officer just asked that I leave my glove box alone. He did not jump back and grab his gun like some.

Professionally handled stop. I was polite and understood that I was in the wrong. The officer was polite and did not attempt to demean me for being in the wrong. He even acknowledged that I literally at the sign where the speed limit dropped when he clocked me.

pops66goat

Plinker
    Rating - 66.7%
    2   1   0
    Dec 15, 2011
    Greenfield IN.
    Most I have encountered have been like that, all they are asking for is respect and honesty. There are of course those few that have a chip on their shoulder...

Mgderf

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    43   0   0
    May 30, 2009
    Lafayette
    To your point,

Just imagine if half of all police were what we see portrayed on boards like these.
    It would be like Dodge City and the wild west out there.

I've had a lot of differtent jobs in my working life, and one entailed contacting the police at LEAST once on a weekend.

For 8 years I played night-shift manager/head-cook at the Triple XXX restaraunt 2 North Salisbury, West Lafayetyte, In. 47906

This all-night burger joint is but blocks from the Purdue campus, and for reasons beyond my grasp, it is the "place to be seen" at 3:00am on a football weekend.

I got to know the majority of the Purdue and West Lafayette police Departments, night shift anyway. It was so bad for a while that the West lafayette department left me a stack of blank incident reports. If it was not an emergency, fill out a report and drop it of at the cop-shop in the morning!
    They were ALWAYS polite and curteous, even to the people they hauled off to jail.

I've been pulled over a few times, but then I've been driving for more than 35 years. Only ONCE, can I recall a bad stop. It was a rookie ISP.

tsbolton

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Aug 4, 2009
    DANVILLE
    Young Leo's

Been my experience that the leo's in general are young and most dont have enough life experience to handle most situation. Have heard several stories in recent years of small issue turning south rather quickly and most is a result of young and in most its age caused on both sides.

Mgderf

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    43   0   0
    May 30, 2009
    Lafayette
    Age is mostly a matter of mind. If you don't mind, it doesn't matter!

It's NOT age, but maybe the age we live in.

Too many don't hold respect for another human being, and thus don't garner respect in return.

Ever heard, "You scratch my back, I'll scratch yours."?

If you are civil when you deal with me, I'll be civil in return.

If you want to be a dick? Well, that's going to be your first mistake.

Mackey

Master
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Nov 4, 2011
    interwebs
    This is all interesting and such. But the fact that you post this shows just how "remarkable" this stop was. Because it's generally not the norm.

IndianaGTI

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   1
    May 2, 2010
    It isn't that this stop isn't the norm. It just isn't the normal post on this forum.

Most of the people on this forum would rather whine about a bad apple in a bushel than comment on how great the rest of the apples are.

I thought it was about time to comment on the rest of the apples.

DRob

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Aug 2, 2008
    Southside of Indy
    Nicely done

It isn't that this stop isn't the norm. It just isn't the normal post on this forum.

Most of the people on this forum would rather whine about a bad apple in a bushel than comment on how great the rest of the apples are.

I thought it was about time to comment on the rest of the apples.

Well said and well done. Thank you.

ATM

will argue for sammiches.
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Jul 29, 2008
    Crawfordsville
    It's kind of strange and sad we have to post and thank cops for deciding to be professional and courteous while doing their darn job.

Positive reinforcement shouldn't be strange or sad.

We jump on unprofessional/discourteous behavior with a fervor, so why not acknowledge good and proper service once in a while?

It's pretty normal to give both positive and negative feedback for other public services.

drillsgt

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    108   0   0
    Nov 29, 2009
    Sioux Falls, SD
    Positive reinforcement shouldn't be strange or sad.

We jump on unprofessional/discourteous behavior with a fervor, so why not acknowledge good and proper service once in a while?

It's pretty normal to give both positive and negative feedback for other public services.

I just don't see why we feel the need to fall all over ourselves to post how some cop did their job and treated someone with courtesy and respect. I got pulled over by ISP up near the border, the guy was polite, the stop was over quickly and I took my ticket and left and that is how I would expect it to happen and didn't think it was a special occasion. So I guess it's +1 to the ISP, there. :)

IDCC

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 14, 2008
    Orange County
    I know the deputy that works that shift. He is a gun guy. I remember hearing him on the scanner one night. "59-X, Five Nine...59-X, Five Nine.... Go ahead Five Nine... 59-X, caller reports possible machine gun fire in such and such area( waaaaay out in the boonies) "Ahh Five Nine.... machine guns aren't illegal" I trust the full time guys quite a bit as well as some of the Reserves, however there are some of the Reserves I dont want anything to do with which really is a shame.

Top Bottom